Can't launch server if it has an IP

• Tech Support section is for getting help with FTB related problems. If there's a repeatable issue that can be labeled as a bug, then please use the issue tracker for the pack or the app at GitHub issue trackers - If there's no repository for a pack that means that the pack is old and/or will not be updated. Bugs for older packs will not be fixed, unless they are critical.
W

Wolfshy

Title:
Can't launch server if it has an IP
Launcher Version:
Modpack:
Infinity Evolved Skyblock
Modpack Version:
Log Link:
Details of the issue:
We've literally gone through every single possible thing. We've opened up ports, changed ports, changed IPs, I've tried, my friend has tried with his, neither of us can host a minecraft server using either our own external IP or using Hamachi (we used to use hamachi all the time without this problem ever occurring). Now, it keeps on giving us the "Unable to bind to port" as if the port is in use somewhere else, but it isn't, we've checked. The server will only run if we give it no ip at all or the local IP, but how can we play on it if it has no IP or just local? My buddy and I live far away from each other, so we need to be able to connect some way.
Does anyone know a solution for the unable to bind port problem? And is there a way to connect to his server if he does use the local 192.168 IP?

Moasseman

Jul 29, 2019
You mean in the server.properties? Just leave it empty and connect to each other however you see fit, whether it be via Hamachi or without it

W

Wolfshy

How? What do I write it to connect to the host? I've tried his external IP, I've tried the hamachi IP, what do I type in when it doesn't have an IP?

Moasseman

Jul 29, 2019
If you're both in the same hamachi network, right-click your friend and select "copy ipv4 address". Then paste that in the server address field in minecraft. If he's hosting a dedicated server, the port by default is 25565 and should not need entering. If you're hosting it via single player -> open to LAN, then you need to enter the port that's shown on the chat, for example 111.222.111.222:56603 (ip : port)

If you're using Hamachi, I suggest using the singleplayer -> open to LAN way, altho this means the server won't be running if he ain't on.

W

Wolfshy

The way we've always done it is use hamachi, copy the IP, and use it for the server under the server.properties. Then we connect to server through that IP. but we can't use any IP. So how do I connect to it without an IP to put in? I really don't get that part.

Moasseman

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, let's get something out right away.

_DO NOT PUT ANYTHING_ in the
server-ip=
field in server.properties. It is _NOT NEEDED_ and will break shit unless you know what you're doing. Just leave it blank.

That said, who is hosting the server and how?

W

Wolfshy

My friend is hosting the server, and he lives far away. We have hamachi. So if we leave it blank and get the server going, how do we connect to it? Does it somehow know that it needs to use hamachi's IP?

W

Wolfshy

Right now my friend has the server up and running, he hasn't put any IP into it so it works. He got the necessary ports open. But the question is now how to get me onto it. I've currently checked for both his external IP and the hamachi IP and both of them return nothing. I can't see a server.

Moasseman

Jul 29, 2019
Can your friend connect to it himself? If so, what does it say when you try to use direct connect to "Hamachi ipv4":25565?

Also why exactly are you using hamachi when you're using a dedicated server?

W

Wolfshy

He can see it right now using 192.168.1.3 which makes sense, we aren't running hamachi right now due to a lot of problems it caused. But how would the server know to put it on the hamachi IP without telling it?

Moasseman

Jul 29, 2019
Let's use an example.

Think of real-life mail. You don't need to know where you are located at to receive mail, only the sender needs to know your location. Likewise the server doesn't need to know anything about itself.

End of example. So your friend can "see" (?) the server, but can he connect to it and play on it?

Moasseman

Jul 29, 2019
Well then, assuming the port he's using is the usual one, you should be able to connect to him using his external IP. Sometimes you need to add the port at the end, but with default port should not be necessary

W

Wolfshy

With no hamachi running, I've tried to add server with and without the port using his external IP and I've also done direct connect with and without the port added behind his external IP. Nothing worked

W

Wolfshy

Java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out: no further information:

Moasseman

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm.. These kinda things are annoying to troubleshoot.

How about with Hamachi then. Disregard what I said before and put the hamachi's ipv4 address in the server-ip= field. However, try to also put the port there so it'd be like "server-ip=111.222.111.222:25565"

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
My guess is that he didn't port forward when he was not using hamachi.