Cactus to Coke

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Oh Sauce, for the item transfer nodes, they can be upgraded to work faster. They can hold up to 20 upgrades per node to work really fast.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I know you said no power input, but if you did it with no outside power, you could burn that Creosote. That way you could use the Cyclic, without putting anything in. Just a thought for you.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Oh Sauce, for the item transfer nodes, they can be upgraded to work faster. They can hold up to 20 upgrades per node to work really fast.

Yeah I'm aware of that but in this system they do not help since the input into the system is so slow anyways.

I'm actually thinking about just stacking hoppers in my build for my base.

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
Why use the cyclic assembler when one can use the power free force pipes (dartcraft) or the liquicrafter (MFR) or the automatic crafting table (Buildcraft) ?

Reactions: PierceSG

DrEinsteinium

Jul 29, 2019
Nice work on this build. I'll definitely keep in mind that a cactus farm can power my coal coke supplies. Thanks :)

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Why use the cyclic assembler when one can use the power free force pipes (dartcraft) or the liquicrafter (MFR) or the automatic crafting table (Buildcraft) ?
I've only discovered the awesomeness of Force Pipes and the item cards.
@Saice. Yeah, I've kind of forgotten how slow the coke oven works.

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
it's 3 minutes(depending on tick rate) for coal -> coal coke... but my tests show sugar charcoal -> coal coke taking considerably less time... around 35 seconds

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
48 total 24 for cactus to char and 24 for char to coke. Its built that way because of the limit and range of golem vision. If I wanted to up it I could use perception on the golems but then would need more straw golems since they cant be both smart and perceptive at the same time.

Not quite true. Straw golems do not need perception. Every time they harvest a plant, their detection range is reset to their current location. So one smart golem can harvest an entire field. If it runs out of things to harvest, it will go back to its starting location, and will not notice plants outside its range. The moment it harvests something in its range however, it will reset to the current location and check again. Wood golems though are limited to their perception ranges.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
On the other hand, you could use a smart core and give them Tiny Spectacles for perception. A bit expensive, but cheaper than new golems.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Not quite true. Straw golems do not need perception. Every time they harvest a plant, their detection range is reset to their current location. So one smart golem can harvest an entire field. If it runs out of things to harvest, it will go back to its starting location, and will not notice plants outside its range. The moment it harvests something in its range however, it will reset to the current location and check again. Wood golems though are limited to their perception ranges.

Yeah I know this and have actual did a post on it awhile back. But anything outside their range the work becomes spotty and random and it only get worse the bigger area you are trying to have them cover.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I know this and have actual did a post on it awhile back. But anything outside their range the work becomes spotty and random and it only get worse the bigger area you are trying to have them cover.

I've mainly done this with melon farms, so I never really did notice the effect as melon growth is pretty random as it is, and whenever I visited the fields, there were always a handful of melons to harvest. some in their range and some out, but never the same ones on the next visit.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
@Netmc it has to do with how they scan. Watch a golem for a bit. You will notce that the straw golem will not automatically charge out into the field as soon as something is ready more he kind of looks and turns and looks around and then will rush off. They basically scan line of site in front of them in a regular sort of cycle. If they find something to go deal with it. Where this makes them work outside their range is when they have a moment they will do a check where they happen to be looking this is also why if you watch a straw golem work you will often see him run up to a cluster of plants pick one or two and ignore the rest even if they are right in his face and then run back to his home point.

MrD3cisive

Jul 29, 2019
this is quite cool, I think I might do something similar involving item collectors and having it more compact. I mean, less output but more space.

Thanks for sharing this awesomeness