Cactus to Coke

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
OK just so we are clear this is not a super way to do this. As with many of my weird builds there are many better ways to do this. The goal here is to take Cactus which can self farm and in the end of things turn it into Coke. And we want to do all this with zero input of anything into the system once built. No power or materials. Basically a Time to Power system.

Also full disclosure I built this inside a 16x16 chunk so it could be loaded with a spot loader or a portal gun. The system has 14 layers of cactus and 8 coke ovens this creates about 12 stacks of coke every real day. This is kind of random as the system does not have a steady predictable amount of cactus output as some do get destroyed. But it is stable enough that it does not back up and does not run dry.

Mods needed here. Rail Craft, Forestry and Plugins for Forestry, Extra utilities, Iron chests, Factorization, Minefactory reloaded, and build craft. Some of these are ones that could be replaced but these are the ones used in this build.

We start with a classic cactus farm which really everyone should know how these work by now.

Cactus to Coke by Saice, on Flickr

As stated there is 14 layers here. rows of 7 each in 7 layers of 3 and 7 layers of 5 rows.

It feeds into two hoppers

which go into 2 chests. You could use normal chests but while getting everything figured out I would back up the system often that is why I have gold here.

These transport pipes act as two way systems for items and liquids.

They will feed into these 8 coke ovens.

One line of pipes put cactus in the back 4 ovens and pull liquid from all 8 ovens. Be mindful they do not cross with the other set of transport pipes and use a wrench to turn off connections you don't need. Blue is the liquid transport and Red is the item. These pull stuff out and into the pipe network. it is important that the pipes pulling cactus charcoal out do not cross with the ones bringing cactus in otherwise the system can jam up.

The front 4 are where the cactus charcoal from the back 4 are going and we also want to pull the liquid out of these too.

We pull the now cactus coke out from the front four and pipe it into a liquid crafter. You could use other auto crafting systems but in the pack I use RR this is the only one that takes no power and is fairly easy to automate.

The MFR Rednet controller is sending a pulse every 20 ticks which makes the liquid crafter try and make 1 item.

8 cactus coke can make 1 coal coke.

really simple clock setup for the controller if you never played with that before.

And just an extra we pipe all that liquid over to some tanks.

Just remember that if you don't do something with the liquid the ovens stop working.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Great to know cactus coke can be made into coal coke! Now to set up my own farm![DOUBLEPOST=1376461582][/DOUBLEPOST]And instead of Liquid Crafter, have you gave the TE's Cyclic Assembler a try?

Bellaabzug21

Jul 29, 2019
It's great. Only issue I have with it is that you should use a forestry farm or turtle farm for the cacti instead so that you're getting the most out of your cactus. With the current setup you have, the cacti could fall on another cactus and be destroyed.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
It's great. Only issue I have with it is that you should use a forestry farm or turtle farm for the cacti instead so that you're getting the most out of your cactus. With the current setup you have, the cacti could fall on another cactus and be destroyed.

Both of those require power which as stated I built this as a zero input system and I even point out yes some of it does get destroyed.

Reactions: RedBoss

Beleriond01

Jul 29, 2019

Answering for Saice here...your suggestion surely would produce more output indeed yet it doesn't meet the design demands that he imposed on himself. As you may recall from the OP, Saice indicated the farm should be self-sufficient with needing to input ANYTHING (items, liquids, or especially power) once built.

As such, using a forestry or turtle farm would violate those design rules.

Bel*.

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019
I was inspired by this idea to make the small cactus farm that I always build for dyes into a coke farm. It's not finished yet, but we use logistics pipes in our base, and so will be using a LP crafting table. LP needs power though, so outside Saice' s scope, but we have it set up already, so it's not more effort for us. Had to expand my cactus farm quite a bit, also I use a slightly different design (based on Etho's cactus farm from way back), so tested one built like Saice's vs one built like mine in creative for a few real life hours. Turned out pretty much the same, each design took turns in having a higher output, so I stuck with what I know!

Anyway, thanks Saice, I had no idea that cactus could be turned into decent fuel.

Reactions: Saice

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
If FTB ever makes another FTB map I will be putting your name forward Saice :p

Aw thanks man that is quite a compliment.

Anyway, thanks Saice, I had no idea that cactus could be turned into decent fuel.

It can it is just a bit slow at it since the coke oven has a sort of set cycle time no mater what it is cooking. But if you wanted to be really silly since they ovens stack up 64 cactus that is sort of a back log with something like LP or AE you could easily make this an actual efficient build by adding more coke ovens and some way to spread the cactus out over more ovens instead of back logging.

Always willing to share my ideas. I kind of live by the idea that I always want to get outside of the "best way" box with mods. There is a lot of interesting things out there in the mods if you just explore a bit. I tend to spend time digging through NEI seeing how stuff connects and see if any of it sparks a interesting idea for me.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Hear ye! Hear ye! Let it be known across the lands that the next FTB map will not be shaped as a pyramid, but instead a a giant sheep.

The Shoop shall raise!

KqSMaac.jpg

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Might I ask how tall that farm is? From the pictures it looks ridiculously massive.

each layer is 3 blocks so just the fences, sand, and cactus take up 42 blocks tall but there is space under it for the water so say 45 blocks for the farm then its 15 blocks wide and 9 blocks deep.

So yeah something like 45x15x9 ish. Next time I'm in game I'll check it but I think what makes it look bigger is the fact im at bedrock so you get the fog.[DOUBLEPOST=1376472271][/DOUBLEPOST]
He watches, he waits, he stares at the Redpower thread on MCF waiting for an update or a good fight to eat popcorn to.

Yeah RP2 and MFR are some of my favorite mods.

Bellaabzug21

Jul 29, 2019
each layer is 3 blocks so just the fences, sand, and cactus take up 42 blocks tall but there is space under it for the water so say 45 blocks for the farm then its 15 blocks wide and 9 blocks deep.

So yeah something like 45x15x9 ish. Next time I'm in game I'll check it but I think what makes it look bigger is the fact im at bedrock so you get the fog.[DOUBLEPOST=1376472271][/DOUBLEPOST]

Yeah RP2 and MFR are some of my favorite mods.

Sadly, I no longer have any faith in RP2 updated ever again. Maybe you should add conveyor belts to the setup. Those don't take power do they?

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe you should add conveyor belts to the setup. Those don't take power do they?

They don't water was just easy and cheap and conveyors did not give any sort of bonus as a water replacement on the bottom level.

I was debating later to use conveyors on each level so cactus would have even less chance of falling on each other and cart all cactus to the edge where it would fall down. But that would require some more work and a rebuild. But it is something on my 'things to try' list.