Cactus to Coke

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
There is also the force pipe from Dartcraft that can be made to autocraft things, but I will have to look into the liquicrafter, that seems like it might be just what I need..

Also, really need to figure out how those Extra Utils pipe things work.. no idea what I'm doing wrong with my sugarcane => coal coke system

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
really need to figure out how those Extra Utils pipe things work

The transport pipes are super basic. You have three interfaces for them Item, Liquid, and Power. About every tick they will scan all their sides for valid things they can pull into the pipe network. Then they check the closest output to see if it a valid place to put the stuff. Sort of like pneumatic tubes they just got point by point looking for a valid place to put stuff. The interface has a small buffer where it holds things. They are bi-directional and one pipe can carry it seems unlimited things both directions. But they are slow so they are best used in low through put setups.

Reactions: RedBoss

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
If you like watching a tut then Dire does a great job of explaining how they work.

I'm actually watching that right now :p
The transport pipes are super basic. You have three interfaces for them Item, Liquid, and Power. About every tick they will scan all their sides for valid things they can pull into the pipe network. Then they check the closest output to see if it a valid place to put the stuff. Sort of like pneumatic tubes they just got point by point looking for a valid place to put stuff. The interface has a small buffer where it holds things. They are bi-directional and one pipe can carry it seems unlimited things both directions. But they are slow so they are best used in low through put setups.
So say if you have multiple entrances to the system, and only 1 exit, would having a really extensive pipe system make it all go slower?

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
So say if you have multiple entrances to the system, and only 1 exit, would having a really extensive pipe system make it all go slower?

Not so much. Each interface scans so if you have multiple ins each one is checking for stuff to pull out. That is why I have two on each chest in my build here. Also each interface can hold a stack in its buffer. What you want to avoid is redundant connections when they are unneeded. So there would be little reason to have say three outputs on one coke oven since one will fill it up fast enough. You can use the wrench to change how a pipe works. Just wrench off unneeded connections. I would suggest checking the spot light or at least going to a test world to play with it a bit first. It is fairly simple once you figure it otu.

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
Not so much. Each interface scans so if you have multiple ins each one is checking for stuff to pull out. That is why I have two on each chest in my build here. Also each interface can hold a stack in its buffer. What you want to avoid is redundant connections when they are unneeded. So there would be little reason to have say three outputs on one coke oven since one will fill it up fast enough. You can use the wrench to change how a pipe works. Just wrench off unneeded connections. I would suggest checking the spot light or at least going to a test world to play with it a bit first. It is fairly simple once you figure it otu.
got it working :) I was putting the triangle connector thingy (I forget it's name) against the output chest, where it just needed a pipe. It's working flawlessly now :) much easier (and cheaper) than the 28 translocators + 7 autarchic gate system I was originally planning

Redweevil

Jul 29, 2019
Out of curiosity does the watering can work on cactus? Because if it does you could use Thaumic Tinkerer to massively increase output

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Out of curiosity does the watering can work on cactus? Because if it does you could use Thaumic Tinkerer to massively increase output

no idea. I'll have to check it when I get around to messing with that mod.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
So I have a plan to upscale this and put it into over drive while keeping it zero input zero engery. Using golems of course.

Would you folks be intrested in me posting a test buid like that?

hotchi

Jul 29, 2019
yeah i'm interested in a golem build as well.

i wanted to throw the new servos from factorization into the possibilites but then i saw the rails need a tiny bit of power what disqualifies them for this build :-(

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, most certainly :) I'd come and view it myself if I could
I did the other day. Though only because I stumbled upon Saice's dimdoor network after being sent to Limbo.

Thanks Saice! Also, did you skin about a dozen cows in a sacred springs biome? :p

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
So here is my prototype

The clay golems are set to exact 2 cactus this is so there is always 1 cactus in the oven even when they are going to get more.

MOAR CACTUS by Saice, on Flickr

Liquid goes to tanks and item transport pipe moves the charcoal from the upper ovens to the lower ones where they get turned into cactus coke.

I'm using a more spaced out layout for the cactus. believe it or not I get a higher yield with this because it is rare for a cactus to fall on another. While when I do a checkerboard most would be destroyed.

A wood and a smart straw does all the work as golems do not take damage from cactus.

Of course when I do this in my build there will be something like 14 layers or so.

Reactions: hotchi

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
How many ovens is that? like 32 or so?

48 total 24 for cactus to char and 24 for char to coke. Its built that way because of the limit and range of golem vision. If I wanted to up it I could use perception on the golems but then would need more straw golems since they cant be both smart and perceptive at the same time.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Saice teaches me something in this game all of the time. I did not know charcoal could be made into coke. Oh how this would have changed my Mindcrack power gen LOL.

I had SO many barrels of charcoal from my SC tree farm. I never set up an LP boiler because I thought I needed coke for it back then. Retro face palm over the charcoal and double it for this new news.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Saice teaches me something in this game all of the time. I did not know charcoal could be made into coke. Oh how this would have changed my Mindcrack power gen LOL.

I had SO many barrels of charcoal from my SC tree farm. I never set up an LP boiler because I thought I needed coke for it back then. Retro face palm over the charcoal and double it for this new news.

Well to be fair its not normal charcoal but cactus charcoal (also sugar charcoal works). I actually do not think you can turn normal charcoal into coke. Cactus and Sugar charcoal and Cactus and Sugar Coke where added with a add on to forestry these substandard cokes can be combined into normal coke in a 8 to 1 ratio.