Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

kefkakrazy

Jul 29, 2019
An interesting idea, but I do not know how to produce it. I am not going to add a dedicated machine.
http://ir.uiowa.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1076&context=igsar

Here's a stupid thought. What about allowing clay as an output for running sand through an extractor? Maybe that's a bit of a high-tier machine for it...

From the article you linked (yes, I did take the time to nose through it, at least at a brief skim) your typical English brick clay is largely silica, aluminum oxide, trace elements, and water. I could see making a very solid case for Extracted sand turning into a sand-colored silica dust item, then clay, then a "solution" clay, then brick. A bit unrealistic, perhaps, but maybe not so much at the level of abstraction at which Minecraft typically occurs.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Here's a stupid thought. What about allowing clay as an output for running sand through an extractor? Maybe that's a bit of a high-tier machine for it...

From the article you linked (yes, I did take the time to nose through it, at least at a brief skim) your typical English brick clay is largely silica, aluminum oxide, trace elements, and water. I could see making a very solid case for Extracted sand turning into a sand-colored silica dust item, then clay, then a "solution" clay, then brick. A bit unrealistic, perhaps, but maybe not so much at the level of abstraction at which Minecraft typically occurs.
The Extractor is only designed for ore.

kefkakrazy

Jul 29, 2019
The Extractor is only designed for ore.
Shame. The only other method I could think of would be to have a silica dust item that could be ground from sand in a Grinder, then combined with water to make clay. I can't think of any other RoC machine that really qualifies as the sort of fluid-mixing device you'd need.

No worries at any rate if there's no way to achieve the effect without adding something new. Just a bit off the ol' personal wishlist.

CapJackH

Jul 29, 2019
What about breaking down Granulite or Schist which have feldspar in them and then combining CO2 and water somehow.

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
Aluminum is currently something that doesnt have much use in just RoC unless you like fire, so you could just mix sand and aluminum dust to make a block of clay.

Also, many soils contain clay, so a renewable alternative could be centrifuging dirt into, among other things, clay.

kefkakrazy

Jul 29, 2019
You know, I never thought about centrifuging dirt. I was kind of bent on finding some kind of machine to mix water with something else (hence the extractor thought before Reika clarified that it can only handle ores).

Frankly I've no idea what items the centrifuge or drying bed can actually handle. I saw that you can centrifuge wheat for extra seeds, but beyond that? I've no clue what it's good for beyond cross-mod compatibility.

WitherBlaster

Jul 29, 2019
I initially had it. It was a nightmare to implement and it never worked properly. It also was vulnerable to lag.

That said, if you have an implementation...
hmmmm...maybe .nbs files? That shouldn't be too hard to code (as if I actually knew anything about coding).

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, I didn't realize Botania did. I've never actually played with it.

Know any other techmods that have a clay output besides MFR? None I'm familiar with.
I think Factorization has something that can be made into clay as a byproduct of its ore processing mechanics. That said, said processing mechanics are SLOW, so be prepared to wait a while. Unless DartCraft has hit 1.7, in which case, use time torches. Use them like a boss.

Blood Asp

Jul 29, 2019
In the past, Clay (sand and plantballs) could be obtained in gregtech by centrifuging Dirt. Now it returns clay dust witch can't be turned into normal clay. Dirt can be obrained by macerating plantballs crafted out of all sorts of plants like wheat or saplings.

Now i usually make Clay with Thaumcraft.

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
Unless you have the created clay be part of a crafting recipes. Have it be an industrial clay. Not sure if that fits in with the theme here though

WitherBlaster

Jul 29, 2019
Just now checking out RotaryCraft, having fun...and forgot I have MeteorCraft installed. Nice little reminder landed in the next chunk over, though...and scared the ever-living @&$% out of me in the process. Frikkin' awesome.