Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I actually have a suggestion! I know, what's the world coming to? Anywho, it regards belt hubs and chain drives; namely, turning them into impromptu conveyor belts. Something like...

• Belts would be able to accept items only. I honestly can't see anything made of leather and a bit of steel being able to hold a player, let alone something as heavy as a cow.
  • Chain drives can handle items, players, and mobs, however, they need a platform of some kind (maybe steel?) applied to be used for the purposes of transport.
  • Using belts and chains for transport will cause power losses while they have something on them, since both torque and speed would be needed to impart motion on to things.
  • Items, mobs, and players can only be transported on the horizontal plane. Vertical movement will still require something like pneumastic item pumps.
  • Once at the end of the line, things are dropped off the end. However, this means that you can place a hopper or somesuch at the end to collect items and store them.
  • Chains with platforms will require more torque to move than chains without platforms.
This would give a tangential use to things I, personally, pretty much never use...though, I probably should. :p Plus, you could totally use it to give your base a real factory feel to it, but at a cost.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
I actually have a suggestion! I know, what's the world coming to? Anywho, it regards belt hubs and chain drives; namely, turning them into impromptu conveyor belts. Something like...

• Belts would be able to accept items only. I honestly can't see anything made of leather and a bit of steel being able to hold a player, let alone something as heavy as a cow.
  • Chain drives can handle items, players, and mobs, however, they need a platform of some kind (maybe steel?) applied to be used for the purposes of transport.
  • Using belts and chains for transport will cause power losses while they have something on them, since both torque and speed would be needed to impart motion on to things.
  • Items, mobs, and players can only be transported on the horizontal plane. Vertical movement will still require something like pneumastic item pumps.
  • Once at the end of the line, things are dropped off the end. However, this means that you can place a hopper or somesuch at the end to collect items and store them.
  • Chains with platforms will require more torque to move than chains without platforms.
This would give a tangential use to things I, personally, pretty much never use...though, I probably should. :p Plus, you could totally use it to give your base a real factory feel to it, but at a cost.
I feel like mobs and players would be able to be transported vertically too, so long as the platforms are far enough away from each other.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015

I actually REALLY like this :D Though I would say that actually you'd be surprised what leather belts can do when run over surfaces with rollers! Maybe not a person's weight, but certainly many kilograms of crushed ore are transported by belt alone every day. This is a brilliant idea though, I've seen something similar in another mod (about which there is little info, and it would be rude of me to mention it here anyway) and it is very cool - add to that the RotaryCraft mechanics and I think its very very awesome.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com

This is...interesting but very difficult to implement.

Mine don't seem to...(boring machines emitting red when jammed)
Do you have a comparator?

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I feel like mobs and players would be able to be transported vertically too, so long as the platforms are far enough away from each other.

The main problem I have with that would be more implementation difficulty. As Reika already mentioned, my original idea is difficult enough. However, adding moving platforms into the mix (my idea was to simply have the textures become animated when in motion) would make things even more complicated since those would need to actually, physically move to get anything from A to B. Its one thing to make something look like its moving, its another thing entirely to actually make it move.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
I like the idea of conveyors carrying only items.
Realistically its only good for free flowing bulk materials [sand, gravel, or in my experience grain]. Carrying humans would result in a painful and very messy end.

with platform implementation; you could do it like minecarts- as an entity the player 'mounts' and 'dismounts'

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Yea, a conveyer belt for people (moving sidewalks), even vertically (escalators) never actually happens.

SourC00lguy

Jul 29, 2019
I...I finally built my first non-creative reactor. A little 12-core HTGR and its making 300MW of power. Its so beautiful, and I love it with all my heart.
How much have HTGR's changed? Any way we can get a screen shot? I haven't played with them in a while and they seem like a stable starting point.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
How much have HTGR's changed? Any way we can get a screen shot? I haven't played with them in a while and they seem like a stable starting point.

You simply need many more cores. I was able to run one turbine off 1 heat exchanger surrounded by a roughly diamond shape of 12 HTGR cores after the changes instead of 4 to 1. You pay an efficiency penalty for safe reactors.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Gladly!

2015-06-09_20.38.24_zps0jgnjkki.png

One of the turbines is damaged because I accidentally flew into it, but its still running extremely well! Also, the glass on top there used to be sand. :p

Reactions: lucariomaster2