Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
think that the original post was referencing this:
YhCttrh.png

Yes this is exactly what I was referencing!

Sorry to revive an old discussion....

----------------------------------------------------
Sent From Something That You Won't Care About Using Tapatalk 2

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Eeh, some folks might want to keep their presences on separate forums separate, something that I wholly understand. Don't do it myself, but I can certainly understand.
I tend not to save for some specific areas that are really better left cordoned off, too.

Though that would still not make the question unacceptable, just demanding an answer.

AdmiralKirov

Jul 29, 2019
FQA is what the FSTDT forums became after Distind, the previous admin, caused...a rather large amount of unpleasantness upon his departure and refused to let us keep the FSTDT name, though we're still linked to on the mainpage.

As for what FSTDT is, it is this, a collection of strange, oftentimes angering and/or frightening, quotes from fundamentalist (and, no, they need not be religious, either) whackjobs, as well as racists and conspiracy theorists from all across the internet.

Gave those sites a look, now I feel sorry for humanity

Omega Haxors

Jul 29, 2019
I was playing some RoC on a new server and I noticed a lot of really frustrating aspects:

• A stone shaft works for most engines in the lower tier but god forbid you use a stone gearbox because those seem to blow up with no warning if you change the mode or place it wrong.
  • Blowing up a steel gearbox only gives 5 ingots worth of scrap. You don't even get the mount back for crying out loud!
  • There doesn't seem to be any documentation on the load limits of shafts and gearboxes in game. Maybe i'm just not looking hard enough. Why not just include them in the item's shift info?
  • Low pressure turbines require lubricant. Why? Fission reactors already require you move up the tech tree and the regular turbines produce very little power compared to the high pressure ones.
  • It's impossible to get a pebble bed reactor to heat up carbon. It gets up to 800 and seems to hover around there. Am I doing it wrong?
  • I can't for the life of me put a spring in a tool. I only once managed to get a spring into my spring boots after hours of spamming it into the workbench but now it's out of charge and i'm stuck.
  • In order to make lubricant you need a steam engine worth of power and a gearbox. That's fine only the gearbox breaks down as soon as you place it because you don't have any lubricant. I am now forced to make 4 steam engines, all of which blow up because I don't have the proper tools to heat them properly at this point in the game.
  • Solar towers still cause a game breaking amount of lag and are generally not worth making.
  • Why does the fuel powered engine require lubricant? I know it's technically a converter unit but I always assumed the lubricant requirement was due to the in-house gearbox that allows you to set the speed.
  • Fuel powered engine is totally not worth it because a DC engine with a jet fuel unit is the most efficient way to make jet fuel in the game.
  • I throw my hands up into the air and make magnetostatics. All glory to the most OP engine in the game.

1M Industries

Jul 29, 2019
I was playing some RoC on a new server and I noticed a lot of really frustrating aspects:

• A stone shaft works for most engines in the lower tier but god forbid you use a stone gearbox because those seem to blow up with no warning if you change the mode or place it wrong.
  • Blowing up a steel gearbox only gives 5 ingots worth of scrap. You don't even get the mount back for crying out loud!
  • There doesn't seem to be any documentation on the load limits of shafts and gearboxes in game. Maybe i'm just not looking hard enough. Why not just include them in the item's shift info?
  • Low pressure turbines require lubricant. Why? Fission reactors already require you move up the tech tree and the regular turbines produce very little power compared to the high pressure ones.
  • It's impossible to get a pebble bed reactor to heat up carbon. It gets up to 800 and seems to hover around there. Am I doing it wrong?
  • I can't for the life of me put a spring in a tool. I only once managed to get a spring into my spring boots after hours of spamming it into the workbench but now it's out of charge and i'm stuck.
  • In order to make lubricant you need a steam engine worth of power and a gearbox. That's fine only the gearbox breaks down as soon as you place it because you don't have any lubricant. I am now forced to make 4 steam engines, all of which blow up because I don't have the proper tools to heat them properly at this point in the game.
  • Solar towers still cause a game breaking amount of lag and are generally not worth making.
  • Why does the fuel powered engine require lubricant? I know it's technically a converter unit but I always assumed the lubricant requirement was due to the in-house gearbox that allows you to set the speed.
  • Fuel powered engine is totally not worth it because a DC engine with a jet fuel unit is the most efficient way to make jet fuel in the game.
  • I throw my hands up into the air and make magnetostatics. All glory to the most OP engine in the game.
Pretty please tell me this is a joke. PLEASE TELL ME THIS A JOKE!!!!!

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014

• A stone shaft works for most engines in the lower tier but god forbid you use a stone gearbox because those seem to blow up with no warning if you change the mode or place it wrong. Place Gearbox before giving it power is the safest way to handle this. this also applies to any non-bedrock gearbox or shaft.
  • Blowing up a steel gearbox only gives 5 ingots worth of scrap. You don't even get the mount back for crying out loud! If you wanna look at it that way, you get the mount back as scrap, as it kinda needs 5 ingots worth of steel (4 ingots and a base plate, which is equivalent to 1 ingot). You lose the gearing and shafts though.
  • There doesn't seem to be any documentation on the load limits of shafts and gearboxes in game. Maybe i'm just not looking hard enough. Why not just include them in the item's shift info? I think this is under Alternative Shafts, i'm pretty sure i've seen them somewhere. The gearboxes match their shafts, but always consider the highest torque/speed they are outputing/taking when they break.
  • I can't for the life of me put a spring in a tool. I only once managed to get a spring into my spring boots after hours of spamming it into the workbench but now it's out of charge and i'm stuck. I believe you craft a charged windspring with the tool, and the charge transfers from the windspring to the tool. That said I tend to use tinker tools primarly, and have not yet used windsprung tools.
  • In order to make lubricant you need a steam engine worth of power and a gearbox. That's fine only the gearbox breaks down as soon as you place it because you don't have any lubricant. I am now forced to make 4 steam engines, all of which blow up because I don't have the proper tools to heat them properly at this point in the game. Two possible solutions here, a worm gear, which is a sightly lossy, non-lubricated 16x gearbox, or use a gasoline engine, which does not need a gearbox. You don't need to exactly match the power req, it's a minimum. Lava will overheat Steam Engines, use netherrack fires (or other everlasting fires), or a cooling fin on the steam engine if you must use Lava, they are fairly cheap.
  • Solar towers still cause a game breaking amount of lag and are generally not worth making. It's (nearly) free power, some people will go nuts over (nearly) free power.
  • Why does the fuel powered engine require lubricant? I know it's technically a converter unit but I always assumed the lubricant requirement was due to the in-house gearbox that allows you to set the speed. I really don't know what to say, as you seem to answer your own question.
  • Fuel powered engine is totally not worth it because a DC engine with a jet fuel unit is the most efficient way to make jet fuel in the game. I've never used Fuel powered engines, mostly as I find it's niche too narrow, and overlapped by other engines.
  • I throw my hands up into the air and make magnetostatics. All glory to the most OP engine in the game. In my opinion since the tiering and lubricant requirements, these are a much less attractive option than they were. Not saying they don't have their uses, I just prefer to avoid them. (And other convert-to-shaft-power-engines).
Where appropriate I've added in my comments in bold here. I don't have huge reactorcraft experience, mostly as I only fairly recently got into Rotarycraft, and have not yet reached a point where Reactorcraft stuff is feasible.

Reactions: Pyure

JOBGG

Jul 29, 2019
So Reika, how about adding a stupidity engine?
Its easy to make, has a GUI with big buttons and explainations for everything, doesn't even require a redstone signal or you entering shaft power or a direction. If there's a machine next to it, it gets magically powered through infinite reserves of player stupidity.
Now whilst it's not mentally taxing,it hast a cost: it brands you whilst in usage. It gives you player a big while paper hat with stupid written on it, and each time they say something, "<--- is an idiot" gets prepended to whatever they say. At random points, it post things into the public chatlog like "/me is a total dimwit" "/me can't handle a tech progression" "/me enjoys cheating".
I think that this machine has it's place in the mod since it'll reduce the process of stupid people trying your stuff, getting fed up, joining the forums to post stupid things and calling for your mod being ursuped away from you because there is no free lunch and you tearing them a new venting hole for the stuff that allready has 2 holes to come out of into a nice magic block format. Make it look like a piece of a bouncy castle so they can't hurt themselves on the edges.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
So Reika, how about adding a stupidity engine?
Its easy to make, has a GUI with big buttons and explainations for everything, doesn't even require a redstone signal or you entering shaft power or a direction. If there's a machine next to it, it gets magically powered through infinite reserves of player stupidity.
Now whilst it's not mentally taxing,it hast a cost: it brands you whilst in usage. It gives you player a big while paper hat with stupid written on it, and each time they say something, "<--- is an idiot" gets prepended to whatever they say. At random points, it post things into the public chatlog like "/me is a total dimwit" "/me can't handle a tech progression" "/me enjoys cheating".
I think that this machine has it's place in the mod since it'll reduce the process of stupid people trying your stuff, getting fed up, joining the forums to post stupid things and calling for your mod being ursuped away from you because there is no free lunch and you tearing them a new venting hole for the stuff that allready has 2 holes to come out of into a nice magic block format. Make it look like a piece of a bouncy castle so they can't hurt themselves on the edges.
This reminds me of when someone complained that I assumed too much prerequisite knowledge and asked for a version that assumed no background knowledge.

They got their wish, and each of those is based off of a real complaint.

JOBGG

Jul 29, 2019
Can we at least add a moron version of the handbook? Have it be crafted with rotten flesh instead of iron ingots, and replace all text with Up Goer Five translations (http://xkcd.com/1133/). I'd help translate it.

Omega Haxors

Jul 29, 2019
Pretty please tell me this is a joke. PLEASE TELL ME THIS A JOKE!!!!!

You think it's a joke until you have to start out from survival on your own without a lot of the mods that most packs contain.

On the older version of rotarycraft (1.6) it was extremely and almost insultingly easy to get to the end game. Now with all the changes it's a lot harder and also a lot more frustrating. Honestly my biggest mistake was not embracing the magnetostatic as soon as I had the resources. Serves me right for not trying to cheat the system with converter units.

Now that I swapped back to magnetostatics i'm well on my way to the end game.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
You think it's a joke until you have to start out from survival on your own without a lot of the mods that most packs contain.

On the older version of rotarycraft (1.6) it was extremely and almost insultingly easy to get to the end game. Now with all the changes it's a lot harder and also a lot more frustrating. Honestly my biggest mistake was not embracing the magnetostatic as soon as I had the resources. Serves me right for not trying to cheat the system with converter units.

Now that I swapped back to magnetostatics i'm well on my way to the end game.
Update unless you like world corruption.

Omega Haxors

Jul 29, 2019
I noticed that bug awhile back.

The server in question was not mine and they refused to update due to certain mods being stuck in 1.6 (probably openblocks) as well as personal preference for the older, easier version of rotarycraft.

The new one runs the latest version.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com