Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

MDoller

Jul 29, 2019
Just wanted to say I love your stuff, I love how spur-of-the-moment the tech feels, I should make you an honorary redneck for the tech you threw together with what you had. :)

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Just wanted to say I love your stuff, I love how spur-of-the-moment the tech feels, I should make you an honorary redneck for the tech you threw together with what you had. :)
This is surely not what you intended, but where I come from, "redneck" is a very serious insult, synonymous with someone who is ignorant, uneducated, inbred, obese, unhygenic, closed-minded, aggressive, racist, violent, sexist and impulsive. :/

Nonetheless, I appreciate your enjoyment. :D

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Guys, let's tone down the "lulpplaresostupid" a notch please. The last two pages of this thread have been very upsetting to read, and I don't expect this on the FTB forum.[DOUBLEPOST=1414613940][/DOUBLEPOST]Back on topic, and I need someone with physics/engineering background to explain this for me: if I picture the boring machine as a drill-head at the end of an (infinitely-long) spinning shaft, what is the real-life equivalent function of the length of that shaft on the amount of power required to spin it?

Could we make any kind of logical argument that the maximum distance a boring machine can bore should be determined by the amount of power the machine has? (With the obvious result of potentially nerfing the boring machine a bit.)

Last edited:

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Guys, let's tone down the "lulpplaresostupid" a notch please. The last two pages of this thread have been very upsetting to read, and I don't expect this on the FTB forum.[DOUBLEPOST=1414613940][/DOUBLEPOST]Back on topic, and I need someone with physics/engineering background to explain this for me: if I picture the boring machine as a drill-head at the end of an (infinitely-long) spinning shaft, what is the real-life equivalent function of the length of that shaft on the amount of power required to spin it?

Could we make any kind of logical argument that the maximum distance a boring machine can bore should be determined by the amount of power the machine has? (With the obvious result of potentially nerfing the boring machine a bit.)

That's a very interesting idea! Perhaps you should feed it shafts to gain distance like the IC2 miner, and then the power requirement goes up over distance. That does help balance it out a bit.

Reactions: Pyure

AdmiralKirov

Jul 29, 2019
That's a very interesting idea! Perhaps you should feed it shafts to gain distance like the IC2 miner, and then the power requirement goes up over distance. That does help balance it out a bit.
Introducing some sort of friction-based power requirement scaling for the borer, in wich every block mined has a neglegible effect on its own, but with the potential of becoming a power black hole after a while?

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
I picture the boring machine as a drill-head at the end of an (infinitely-long) spinning shaft, what is the real-life equivalent function of the length of that shaft on the amount of power required to spin it?

Could we make any kind of logical argument that the maximum distance a boring machine can bore should be determined by the amount of power the machine has?

The amount of torque needed to rotate a shaft would be negligible compared with the amount required to bore through rock in the first place.
Chances are the shaft will fail under its own weight before its length requires enough extra torque to make a noticeable difference in the efficiency of the bore.

Assuming you supported the shaft on [near]frictionless bearings; the whole assembly still has to be driven forwards and ground into the open rock face to work- eventually failing the shaft under compressive stress.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pyure

AdmiralKirov

Jul 29, 2019
It also makes the Borer nearly worthless compared to cheaper alternatives like quarries.
It actually does, but since rotarycraft seems to mostly ignore frictons apart from gearbox damage It would be pretty pointless to indtroduce them in the borer "shafts"

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
The amount of torque needed to rotate a shaft would be negligible compared with the amount required to bore through rock in the first place.
Chances are the shaft will fail under its own weight before its length requires enough extra torque to make a noticeable difference in the efficiency of the bore.

Assuming you supported the shaft on [near]frictionless bearings; the whole assembly still has to be driven forwards and ground into the open rock face to work- eventually failing the shaft under compressive stress.
Sounds sensible enough to me, thanks. Was worth asking.

Omega Haxors

Jul 29, 2019

That actually makes a lot of sense. Why didn't I think about that? Maybe you could start out with the steel shaft but as you upgrade it and put in more power suddenly *TUNK!* and it's time to replace the shaft in your engine with the diamond and eventually bedrock. Having it start out requiring a diamond shaft is a little unfair for people near the bottom of the tech tree though as the engine hardly produces any power at all near the bottom tiers even though it is the easy-mode engine.

If it wasn't self-evident from the commit log, magnetostatics now require a diamond shaft instead of a steel shaft, apparently to spite @Omega Haxors.

I was actually the one to suggest a nerf on magnetostatics because of how perfect they are to the point that they overshadow all the other engines, and that just ruins the fun. The lubricant requirement was a step in the right direction but you can produce 6 buckets of lubricant from 1 oil bucket and a DC engine worth of power, shunt it into a tesseract or world rift, and you're right back to the magnetesseract combo that made the engine so attractive to begin with. It's still nice that you have to put in that extra effort, though.

Also not to mention that it's the most efficient engine in the mod due to its high base torque and very low minimum setting. The ECU ain't got nothing on this powerhouse of a powersaver.

Oh, and proof:

RHB4A36.png

DC engine + diamond gearboxes (128x) + liquid distillery + oil source + tesseracts = boom legacy magnetesseracts. Just supply oil, which can be done super easy if you have MineFactory Reloaded, on top of your RF.

As far as RF goes look no further than Extra Utilities' upgraded generators with tile accelerators, big reactors, and Mekanisim's OPAF wind turbines at 255y.

Last edited:

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
That actually makes a lot of sense. Why didn't I think about that? Maybe you could start out with the steel shaft but as you upgrade it and put in more power suddenly *TUNK!* and it's time to replace the shaft in your engine with the diamond and eventually bedrock. Having it start out requiring a diamond shaft is a little unfair for people near the bottom of the tech tree though as the engine hardly produces any power at all near the bottom tiers even though it is the easy-mode engine.

I was actually the one to suggest a nerf on magnetostatics because of how perfect they are to the point that they overshadow all the other engines, and that just ruins the fun. The lubricant requirement was a step in the right direction but you can produce 6 buckets of lubricant from 1 oil bucket and a DC engine worth of power, shunt it into a tesseract or world rift, and you're right back to the magnetesseract combo that made the engine so attractive to begin with. It's still nice that you have to put in that extra effort, though.

Also not to mention that it's the most efficient engine in the mod due to its high base torque and very low minimum setting. The ECU ain't got nothing on this powerhouse of a powersaver.

Oh, and proof:

RHB4A36.png

DC engine + diamond gearboxes (128x) + liquid distillery + oil source + tesseracts = boom legacy magnetesseracts. Just supply oil, which can be done super easy if you have MineFactory Reloaded, on top of your RF.

As far as RF goes look no further than Extra Utilities' upgraded generators with tile accelerators, big reactors, and Mekanisim's OPAF wind turbines at 255y.
I have a way to break this too.

1M Industries

Jul 29, 2019

Oh, and proof:

I have a way to break this too.
Way to shoot yourself in the foot, Omega. That and everyone else who uses the magnetostatics. But really though, I applaud the nerfing. They are just too powerful. Also, thank you Reika for the 1 silverwood leaf block = 64 sludge. That has saved my base's power system from ever running short of fuel again! (And thank you to the guy who sent me 32 silverwood saplings!)

JOBGG

Jul 29, 2019
Way to shoot yourself in the foot, Omega. That and everyone else who uses the magnetostatics. But really though, I applaud the nerfing. They are just too powerful. Also, thank you Reika for the 1 silverwood leaf block = 64 sludge. That has saved my base's power system from ever running short of fuel again! (And thank you to the guy who sent me 32 silverwood saplings!)

Why did i tell you about this again?

1M Industries

Jul 29, 2019
Why did i tell you about this again?
Ehhhhh.....Meh. v25z is final for 1.6.4 RoC so and the server is 1.6.4, so. Also, the guy has just been using a huge farm of them and afk to grow, so it is not as cheaty as it could be.(At least not on RoC's end.) Also, that the 32 was just the free ones. Imagine the amount I could get if I paid! And also, the whole server has one original sapling, so it is really not that much of an exploit. Just saying.

Last edited:

JOBGG

Jul 29, 2019
Ehhhhh.....Meh. v25z is final for 1.6.4 RoC so and the server is 1.6.4, so. Also, the guy has just been using a huge farm of them and afk to grow, so it is not as cheaty as it could be.(At least not on RoC's end.) Also, that the 32 was just the free ones. Imagine the amount I could get if I paid! And also, the whole server has one original sapling, so it is really not that much of an exploit. Just saying.
We had 2 silverwoods on the server that I found in the twilight. I picked one of those trees for leaves, then glen picked the rest of it clean. I think Von got the last one before the twilight reset, but since there's 2 quest groves now i wager there are 6-8 silverwoods around there now.