Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

1M Industries

Jul 29, 2019
What version are you using? Because in newer versions, you have to use upgrades on the magnetostatics. If you have all the upgrades, you have bedrock if I remember correctly. So it is somewhat balanced. However, I do think that a torque requirement would be a good idea, as it does not make sense to run a machine at a very fast speed and almost no torque. For instance, on my singleplayer world, I have a hyperspawner...running off of two or three performance engines.
The jist of this is, I fully agree. More balance please?

AdmiralKirov

Jul 29, 2019
well, a grinder's operational speed should be based almost only on the speed of the grinding element, with the torque being operator-wise, you press that piece of stone on the grinder harder? You need much more torque

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Keep in mind that gearing a microturbine to 1 Nm needs bedrock gearboxes and shafts, and to do the same with gas turbines you need a very high gear ratio.

AdmiralKirov

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe a low and variable minimum torque requirement, wich is Ore-dependent, would be nice, but not very useful for the balancing

AdmiralKirov

Jul 29, 2019
Oh yes, extractor is a bi**h, but it makes sense to me that grinding netherrack requires more torque than grinding canola seeds :p

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
What version are you using? Because in newer versions, you have to use upgrades on the magnetostatics. If you have all the upgrades, you have bedrock if I remember correctly. So it is somewhat balanced. However, I do think that a torque requirement would be a good idea, as it does not make sense to run a machine at a very fast speed and almost no torque. For instance, on my singleplayer world, I have a hyperspawner...running off of two or three performance engines.
The jist of this is, I fully agree. More balance please?
No. Not all machines either need, should have, or even make sense with torque requirements.

Reactions: Pyure

Omega Haxors

Jul 29, 2019
No. Not all machines either need, should have, or even make sense with torque requirements.

What's the explanation for power requirements then? They only seem to be there for balancing sake. You honestly can't say that spinning a shaft core or grinding up ores takes absolutely minimal effort that 1 nm of force suffices.

Perhaps things with low or non-existent torque requirements can have their speed formulas rebalanced to make up for how absurdly fast you can crank up the speed on higher tier engines.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
You honestly can't say that spinning a shaft core takes absolutely minimal effort that 1 nm of force suffices.
Yes, you can.

or grinding up ores
Try a grinder with 1Nm of torque and see how well that works out.

Perhaps things with low or non-existent torque requirements can have their speed formulas rebalanced to make up for how absurdly fast you can crank up the speed on higher tier engines.
They already have.

Omega Haxors

Jul 29, 2019
Try a grinder with 1Nm of torque and see how well that works out.

My bad. I was referring to the 2nd and 3rd stages of the extractor, both of which don't involve grinding ores. Mistake on my part.

They already have.

There needs to be better scaling. Moving up a tier should not produce such a large operation bonus compared to devices with greater torque requirements.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
RotaryCraft doesn't work on what we consider a "normal" scale, its exponential, so it'd make sense for it to have a large jump between tiers. Also, your WAILA may lying to you. The formula for a magnetizing unit's operational speed, in ticks, is thus: 400 - 20 × log₂ (speed + 1), unless its changed in a recent version. Also, the steam and gasoline engines both output at 512 rad/s, the gasoline engine's advantage is that it has 4x more torque, which doesn't factor into using a magnetizing unit whatsoever. So, the only way you could get vastly different results would be to put your output thru enough gearboxes to reduce the torque to 1 Nm, which if THAT is what you're complaining about, you might as well complain that IC2's transformers allow you to get to higher-tier power output while using lower-tier generators.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
There needs to be better scaling. Moving up a tier should not produce such a large operation bonus compared to devices with greater torque requirements.
You do realize I get far too many complaints to the contrary, about how it takes far too much power and/or speed to reduce operational time, right? That people complain about the logarithmic nature of the formulae and lament that building two machines is usually more power-cost-effective than simply increasing the power output to one?

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
You do realize I get far too many complaints to the contrary, about how it takes far too much power and/or speed to reduce operational time, right? That people complain about the logarithmic nature of the formulae and lament that building two machines is usually more power-cost-effective than simply increasing the power output to one?

This is the point where you throw up your hands and quit modding because the community is getting into a flame war over how your mod should be run.... I heard thuamcraft guy was available to take over (old complaint reference) :p
----------------------------------------------------
Sent From Something That You Won't Care About Using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Omega Haxors

Jul 29, 2019

People are always going to complain no matter what you do, or don't do. All i'm trying to point out is that the scaling of the engines is off sync with the scaling of speed bonuses, especially when there is no torque requirement. That it's far too easy to overpower a lower tier by moving up 1 tier. As long as this underlying issue remains, higher tiers would be impossible to introduce without unbalancing the mod.

Here are some charts explaining my position:

RoC expen.png
This is your normal acceleration of engines.
RoC speed.png
And here is the tick delay using the same scale.

The speed line is almost straight while the engines are exponential. This is probably where a majority of your complains come from; players with low tier engines getting minimal power buffs from their upgrades despite the power being quadrupled.

A nice backwards exponential speed formula would be more fair for everybody and would help a lot with balancing further down the road.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
This is the point where you throw up your hands and quit modding because the community is getting into a flame war over how your mod should be run.... I heard thuamcraft guy was available to take over (old reference complaint reference) :p
----------------------------------------------------
Sent From Something That You Won't Care About Using Tapatalk 2
Or it's the part where you stop (or continue) to not giving a fuck.

Also, another level of entitlement displayed by that character that they seemed confident that Azanor AKA Thaumcraft guy would have the time or interest in taking up RoC's... I know in some parallel universe where Reika caved and agreed to let Azanor maintain RoC only to have Azanor say "Not interested...". I mean Thaumcraft 4 is huge asking Azanor to maintain another huge mod is audacious at best.

HeilMewTwo

Jul 29, 2019
Or it's the part where you stop (or continue) to not giving a fuck.

Also, another level of entitlement displayed by that character that they seemed confident that Azanor AKA Thaumcraft guy would have the time or interest in taking up RoC's... I know in some parallel universe where Reika caved and agreed to let Azanor maintain RoC only to have Azanor say "Not interested...". I mean Thaumcraft 4 is huge asking Azanor to maintain another huge mod is audacious at best.
I'm sorry what was this, who the f*** wanted Azanor the maintainer of a magic mod take over RoC?

HeilMewTwo

Jul 29, 2019
I've seen that and something similar recently, but this doesn't even specifically mention Azanor, it just says Thaumcraft guy. As a side note: That post gets dumber every time I see it.

Mattasdqwe

Jul 29, 2019
I've seen that and something similar recently, but this doesn't even specifically mention Azanor, it just says Thaumcraft guy. As a side note: That post gets dumber every time I see it.
The post you quoted, quoted another post which referenced this. Go back about 5 comments and you will see it.