Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I work in industrial safety..... I've known some INSANE engineers. For instance one blew the top of a pressure cooker through the roof of his shop. he was running life expextancy tests on switches by exposing them to a saline solution while under pressure. Decided that his current system wasn't attaining sufficient pressure ranges. Rather than purchasing a propper pressure vessel he simply sealed the release valves on the cooker.... needless to say the safety margins where tighter than he thought and the company was lucky no one was in the room when the equipment failed....
Oh don't get me wrong, I ain't saying real life engineers are sane either. Most important qualification? A willingness to solve problems. Second most important qualification? Having enough problems to solve to keep you from making new ones to solve. The pressure cooker test you just told us about? Bog-standard engineer "1-800-I-GOT-ZERO-PROBLEMS-NOW-WHAT-SMARTASS?" type deal. Can't find a better thing to do? Start causing problems that will require solutions that you don't already know.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Man I really wish I'd caught this debate earlier.

I need to point out immediately that me and Reika cannot share a thread w/o having an argument. I am not a fanboy. I do not agree with a lot of his logic or game-design decisions. That said:

Electricraft is pointless.
I hardly see any use in it beyond fancy cables.
It feels like you tried to copy ic2/TE energy transportation without realizing basic things. Main problem is that its not really useful as energy storage, because you can't charge and use batteries in same time unlike every other mod battery, and this kinda ruins the purpose as we already have industrial coils (and bedrock coil can store 240 TJ, while auroral battery 281 TJ).
ElectriCraft is probably my favorite energy system in MC modding. It took something a bit similar to the old IC2 model (packets etc) and actually made it sensible and easy to understand. I like the energy, I like the resistors, I like the power switch block (whose name escapes me).

Did I miss an update? Last I checked, you could charge and consume power from a battery simultaneously. You could NOT from a coil. (I'm not being sarcastic: I may have missed an update.)

Worst part is energy transfer though. What do you need to transfer energy from your storage to some simple machine in any other mode to make 100% efficiency out of it? Just plug a cable.
Don't make false generalizations and claims. Any other mods you play, perhaps. You do not play with GregTech 1.7.x I imagine, a very popular mod with lossy cabling.

That effing resistor block with the most unintuitive control I've ever seen in my life which also only accepts (and consumes) vanilla dye. All that while you keep in mind conversion ratios.
The resistor block may be my favorite block of the entire mod. Its brilliant. I will give you that the use of dyes is rank insanity as a game design mechanic. I have tried (and failed) to convince @Reika to switch to a dye-loaded tool (shift-click to switch it from color to color). I'd also prefer a gem-loaded tool, some sort of prism laser, to set colors. Carrying around a bunch of cocoa beans is, indeed, silly.

It would also be really nice if batteries could be upgradeable and you did not have to save all your wage for the best.
From a game-flow perspective its hard to justify playing with the batteries at all until you can get one of the best, you're right. I could be wrong but you might be able to recover battery resources via the worktable and a redstone signal (I forget.)

I don't think you understand what I'm saying at all. What is the purpose of ElC? Since it has no new machines it's just power transfer and storage. What does it have to offer as storage? Ridiculously expensive batteries which just fail in comparison with bedrock coils because they are more expensive and not configurable
I powered my last RoC/ElC base with a SINGLE auroral battery, which never filled past 30%.
The storage capability of that battery is insane. It outputs enough power that I was able to connect my entire industry to it (via resistors and sub-batteries). You don't need to "configure" a battery, because it intelligently outputs what's needed. Unlike the coil, which will run at the speed you set, even if its wasteful.
Let's not forget: batteries don't crater your base, and if you're intelligent enough to work around that, I don't see that any of this should be an issue for you.

Still not justifying using it for me, plus I already mentioned it few times. The problem with rotarycraft machines is that they require insane SPEED, not TORQUE(save for few), so to use batteries effectively you'll also have to use speed gears everywhere.
Yep, that's sort of the point of RoC. Gearboxes. Lots of them. If you hate gearboxes, if you like the idea of TE cable connecting everything with a single blocktype, this is not an appropriate mod for you.

There's nothing involving 'playstyle' as everything I say is 100% objective. If you used the harder way that is your right but please stop zealously defending it without any other arguments than "I used it and it was cool". Anyway I would like to hear what Reika has to say.
  • ElC provides superior power-on-demand solutions to RoC.
  • ElC provides superior centralized-power solutions to RoC. (Looking back I see @Kirameki mentions this)
  • ElC provides safer large-scale power storage

Objectively, its really as simple as that. All your arguments and concerns are now successfully answered and rendered null and void. If these points don't actually appeal to you, the mod simply doesn't appeal to you.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I need to point out immediately that me and Reika cannot share a thread w/o having an argument.
....What gave you that idea?

Did I miss an update? Last I checked, you could charge and consume power from a battery simultaneously. You could NOT from a coil. (I'm not being sarcastic: I may have missed an update.)
No. Batteries retain the ability to simultaneously charge and discharge, and will do so for the foreseeable future.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
....What gave you that idea?
See, you're arguing already. What the hell is wrong with you? :\

No. Batteries retain the ability to simultaneously charge and discharge, and will do so for the foreseeable future.
Fantastic. I'm surprised nobody clarified that; he mentioned it twice as a gripe. This feature alone makes it extremely useful as a supplier compared to the coil.

Reactions: YX33A

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
  • ElC provides superior power-on-demand solutions to RoC.
  • ElC provides superior centralized-power solutions to RoC. (Looking back I see @Kirameki mentions this)
  • ElC provides safer large-scale power storage
Hmm. In that case, does ElC have any worldgen to worry about?

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm. In that case, does ElC have any worldgen to worry about?
It has world gen... none of which isn't covered by other mods in my game. Copper, Tin, Nickle, Platinum, Aluminum, etc etc...
I don't need the ELC ores, but it can still be nice to have them.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I don't need the ELC ores, but it can still be nice to have them.
Yes, I too like having several variants of the ores; it makes it feel more "real".

See, you're arguing already. What the hell is wrong with you? :\
I cannot tell if you are serious or not, but if you are, I get the feeling that the reason you perceive us always getting into arguments is that you interpret nearly every response I make to you as hostile.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I cannot tell if you are serious or not, but if you are, I get the feeling that the reason you perceive us always getting into arguments is that you interpret nearly every response I make to you as hostile.
I was in no way serious. And I attempted to reinforce this by liking your alleged arguing.

The internet: great communication medium for some but not all senses of humor.

Reactions: gallowglass

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
I asked about worldgen for two simple reasons:
1. Up til now, I thought ElC was strictly for dealing with reactor-level power, or more detailed/useful conversion between shaft and external power sources (replacement for magnetostatic) -- neither of which I use.
2. I have a strict "vanilla overworld" policy. Mod world-gen happens in ages, not the overworld. Overworld has so far survived from 1.2.3 to 1.6.4.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I asked about worldgen for two simple reasons:
1. Up til now, I thought ElC was strictly for dealing with reactor-level power, or more detailed/useful conversion between shaft and external power sources (replacement for magnetostatic) -- neither of which I use.
2. I have a strict "vanilla overworld" policy. Mod world-gen happens in ages, not the overworld. Overworld has so far survived from 1.2.3 to 1.6.4.
Ah. Well then...
  1. ElC is great for reactor level power storage, but by that point, you can afford a aural battery or two. But lower tiers are cheaper, if not as powerful. In short, it's a great sort of system if you are worried about storing power and distributing it better, but easy enough to ignore if neither of these matter. It most certainly isn't meant for converting between shaft power and other power systems; ElC power is basically a sub-network of your RoC power. Great for a great many reasons, but can't be used to allow for a easier conversion between RoC and RF, for example, unless you consider the detailed bit of "great for sending power where you want it to go, and balancing it accordingly" due to resistors.
  2. Should be fine, then. All of the ores can be turned off, but while they are somewhat needed, they can be mostly skipped for starting stuff I believe.

Reactions: Pyure