Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Personally, I would stick with 1.6. My performance is awful in 1.7 for whatever reason, and it sounds like there's quite a few people who are experiencing the same issues I am.
I agree, basically the conclusion I came to. 1.6 is where I'm at until it's "worth" upgrading. I'm tired of this Upgrade-for-the-sake-of-upgrading trend with literally everything.

imo we need a numbers geek (or twenty) to collate the data on the systems/configuration of people having your problem, I'm sure there's something common between you all. Somewhere. There always is.

Reactions: Padfoote

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
Personally, I would stick with 1.6. My performance is awful in 1.7 for whatever reason, and it sounds like there's quite a few people who are experiencing the same issues I am.
For me, worldgen performance in 1.7 unstable is absolutely awful. I ended up setting up an unstable server at home on a second PC just to offload the worldgen from my desktop, runs MUCH better now, still chugs on worldgen a little bit but the performance change is incredible.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
To return the thread more or less back on topic: I imagine a decent number of 1.6ers will decide to finally upgrade when their favourite mods have stable 1.7.x versions. For many that will be when Reika has RoC firmly running in 1.7 (which is well on track according to his forum)

I'm just waiting for some GT stuff to get solid before I move over.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
We seem to be off topic.

Mojang (Dinnerbones? Jeb?) has said that the primary focus right now is re-writing the code base to clean it up. So the majority of what's happening has no visible effect except for how bad side effects get cleaned up, and bug fixes.

That some popular mods are having some of their content added into vanilla, when doing so can be done at relatively low code cost, is an improvement. It's easier to add a small, fixed set of features that become stable, than it is to deal with a mod that generally will grow, mutate, change, have questionable future compatibility, and become big.

Should horses have been added, instead of improving minecarts?
Should horses have been added they way they were, with every horse mob having different stats (behavior no other mob has)?

Colored this, colored that: Good? If it gives more options for building at no cost, why not? Is it any different than different colored wood?
Limit of 16 color pallet: Going away with block states. Will we see a better "block coloring" engine? Will we see more things being colored?

Armor stands? Banners? "Barrier" / keep out blocks? Some people like them, some have no use for them. But it's cheap enough, code cost, to add them. Much cheaper than trying to deal with adding a large, unstable mod.

Hoppers? That's actually a subset of a much discussed block/mod called "the allocator" (if I recall correctly). Has a much weaker sorting/filtering behavior. The whole "pulled down has higher priority than pushing along" behavior? Difficulty in controlling multiple hoppers because of redstone "leaks"? Upwards movement? Sure, lots of people will complain about wanting feature X versus feature Y, and might disagree with how things were done. We still have lots of different pipe systems in lots of different mods, so not everyone thinks that hoppers solve everything. But now you have at least a partial system without adding a large tech mod, or a constantly changing set of utility blocks that suddenly gains a whole new dimension, etc.

===

There is no mod that just adds pipes.
There is no mod that just adds stands.
There is no mod that just adds X.

Mods give you a large package, and the package content can change.
Mojang is taking popular subsets of some popular mods, and adding them, in a relatively fixed manner.

Heck, colored glass? Mojang just added dyed glass; there's a mod that gives you dyed sand and glass if you want that instead.

===
===

1.7: I keep hitting the "twitch assert" error at random in 1.7.10. Until that is fixed, 1.7.10 cannot be considered stable, so I'll stay on 164 until 1.7.11 is released.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Hoppers? That's actually a subset of a much discussed block/mod called "the allocator" (if I recall correctly). Has a much weaker sorting/filtering behavior. The whole "pulled down has higher priority than pushing along" behavior? Difficulty in controlling multiple hoppers because of redstone "leaks"? Upwards movement? Sure, lots of people will complain about wanting feature X versus feature Y, and might disagree with how things were done. We still have lots of different pipe systems in lots of different mods, so not everyone thinks that hoppers solve everything. But now you have at least a partial system without adding a large tech mod, or a constantly changing set of utility blocks that suddenly gains a whole new dimension, etc.
I must admit I am greatly pleased with the addition of hoppers, which make true automation in vanilla possible.

I think one of the other inherent problems to modded Minecraft is the frequent wiping it necessitates. With vanilla you can keep a world around between updates (see 2b2t), but with mods, they come and go forcing world wipes and your precious builds get annihilated - some people just can't deal with that.
Myself included, which is why I tend to update less and do not play servers I do not control.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
...which is why I tend to update less ...
Compared to whom?

I frequently give you a hard time for this and that, but I've always said your release schedule is rapid, particularly considering the extensiveness of the updates (slowed down a tiny bit perhaps over the summer, which you had warned about)

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I found more:
Code:
  try
  {
  return new URL((URL)null, s, urlstreamhandler);
  }
  catch (MalformedURLException malformedurlexception)
  {
  throw new Error("TODO: Sanely handle url exception! :D");
  }

Note that "Errors", as opposed to "Exceptions", bypass most handling and crash the game immediately.

Last edited:

Veggetossj

Jul 29, 2019
@Reika I was wondering whether or not i could use the liquid nitrogen from Rotarycraft to replace the Gelid Cryotheium from TE in my Big Reactor? I am asking this since I've noticed in ElectriCraft, that Superconductive wire needs liquid nitrogen to work, but seems to work with TE's Gelid Cryotheum as well.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure if you can even place liquid nitrogen in the world, but if yes then it would probably be on Big Reactors end to implement the cooling.

Last edited:

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I noticed a bug with shaft junctions in v25z:
Put down a shaft junction in splitting mode and power the input. Now you can place any type of gearbox (or shaft) to one of its output sides and it won't consume any lubricant, nor will it take damage when unlubricated. You can even excess the load limits (e.g. jet engine with wooden gearbox).
That only works when the gearbox is directly next to the shaft junction, if you place anything inbetween it behaves normally. And it only works when the junction is in split mode.

Edit: I just noticed it in this video at 6:00

Last edited:

1M Industries

Jul 29, 2019
I noticed a bug with shaft junctions in v25z:
Put down a shaft junction in splitting mode and power the input. Now you can place any type of gearbox (or shaft) to one of its output sides and it won't consume any lubricant, nor will it take damage when unlubricated. You can even excess the load limits (e.g. jet engine with wooden gearbox).
That only works when the gearbox is directly next to the shaft junction, if you place anything inbetween it behaves normally. And it only works when the junction is in split mode.
How did you figure that out?

1M Industries

Jul 29, 2019
These sorts of things are usually discovered by chance. They are also the result of random oversights. This one in particular has existed since the mod was written.
Oh. What caused it?
P.S. How does the MeteorCraft radar work? I have tried to use it, but nothing happened, even when a meteor landed on top of it. I am supplying power.

Last edited:

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
How did you figure that out?
Well I had a stone gearbox hooked up to a splitting shaft juntion and I noticed that it didn't consume any lubricant.

These sorts of things are usually discovered by chance. They are also the result of random oversights. This one in particular has existed since the mod was written.
It's kinda hard to fix them if no one reports them :)