Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

7thfleet

Jul 29, 2019
Upsettingly large. I have an SSD too.
Would it be possible to use junctions to put the sound files on an another hard drive, like a 2nd HDD?
EDIT: Ah well never mind :/
"Junction points can only link to directories on a local volume"

Last edited:

7thfleet

Jul 29, 2019
I am going to be useless and ask if someone can think of a cool way of telling R how Rotary can cut down trees... Rotary itself doesn't really use wood. But still.
bb6473afd5aeab1f1d7b5b6a15858d7e.png

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
A new one. This is not the syntax, but the semantics.
Through careful debugging I have determined that Mojang, in its infinite wisdom, has decided to set up the sound system to reload the file from the hard drive every time it plays. Not only is that terrible for performance and hard disk lifespan, but it is going to severely hinder my ability to adapt my sound system.

Don't all modern OS's have a cache, so that repeated accesses to the same file are satisfied from the OS ram cache, and not acutually using file access? If so, then it sounds like a really good design decision -- don't waste time trying to re-implement an audio cache, rely on the underlying OS cache which is already optimized.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Upsettingly large. I have an SSD too.
I don't see how.

If it's reloading the file, all you're doing is performing a read operation. You'd have to perform 5gb+ of writes a day for several years to degrade a modern SSD. As far as it being harmful to a standard HDD, I don't see it being more harmful than accessing something from your pagefile.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Don't all modern OS's have a cache, so that repeated accesses to the same file are satisfied from the OS ram cache, and not acutually using file access? If so, then it sounds like a really good design decision -- don't waste time trying to re-implement an audio cache, rely on the underlying OS cache which is already optimized.
Windows and Mac might have it, but the million distributions of Linux out there probably don't. Granted, for desktops, Windows matters the most, with Mac being a somewhat distant second, but if you're aiming to create something with cross-platform capabilities, then it would be a bad idea to make such assumptions. Besides, having your program itself do the caching saves space in the OS cache for other, potentially more important things.

Reactions: 1M Industries

1M Industries

Jul 29, 2019
Windows and Mac might have it, but the million distributions of Linux out there probably don't. Granted, for desktops, Windows matters the most, with Mac being a somewhat distant second, but if you're aiming to create something with cross-platform capabilities, then it would be a bad idea to make such assumptions. Besides, having your program itself do the caching saves space in the OS cache for other, potentially more important things.
This is why I am upset about this. If you look at my signature, I use Linux. I think that a better system could be made for true cross system compatibility.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
This is why I am upset about this. If you look at my signature, I use Linux. I think that a better system could be made for true cross system compatibility.
A better Minecraft in general could be made, assuming Mojang can get off its arse and stop adding massive amounts of largely pointless content. The fact it took them this long to correct some of the game's most glaring flaws just bugs the crap right outta me.

1M Industries

Jul 29, 2019
A better Minecraft in general could be made, assuming Mojang can get off its arse and stop adding massive amounts of largely pointless content. The fact it took them this long to correct some of the game's most glaring flaws just bugs the crap right outta me.
This. I really don't think that half the things added lately are really......needed. Armour stands? Bibliocraft. Banners? Who really needs them? Redstone updates? Redpower. Most or the content lately is just a not-very-well-implemented parody of mods. Next we will see a system for transporting items through pipe-like things.....Oh wait, that is a hopper. See what I mean? I was almost about to forget about Minecraft before I found out about mods. Sure, you can make some pretty cool things with just Minecraft. But Microblocks. See what I mean? Mojang should make a concerted effort to actually; a: fix the bugs, b: MAKE THE #%@# MODDING API, c: make a better mod adding interface. The other two games that I own, Factorio and Starbound, are made with mods in mind. They even come with their own mod loaders! All you have to do is put the mod in a folder, no configs or modloader installation required. Minecraft should be more like this. It can be a great game. It just needs to pay attention to it's fans and community.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
This. I really don't think that half the things added lately are really......needed. Armour stands? Bibliocraft. Banners? Who really needs them? Redstone updates? Redpower. Most or the content lately is just a not-very-well-implemented parody of mods. Next we will see a system for transporting items through pipe-like things.....Oh wait, that is a hopper. See what I mean? I was almost about to forget about Minecraft before I found out about mods. Sure, you can make some pretty cool things with just Minecraft. But Microblocks. See what I mean? Mojang should make a concerted effort to actually; a: fix the bugs, b: MAKE THE #%@# MODDING API, c: make a better mod adding interface. The other two games that I own, Factorio and Starbound, are made with mods in mind. They even come with their own mod loaders! All you have to do is put the mod in a folder, no configs or modloader installation required. Minecraft should be more like this. It can be a great game. It just needs to pay attention to it's fans and community.
Except one problem. The modded MC community is a LOT smaller then the vanilla community. Of course they will cater to the majority.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Or dyed this, dyed that.

Except one problem. The modded MC community is a LOT smaller then the vanilla community. Of course they will cater to the majority.
This is entirely true.

Reactions: Padfoote

1M Industries

Jul 29, 2019
But if they encouraged the community, it would get bigger. See what I mean? Notch had even once stated that he felt that mods were a threat to his game, but had gradually accepted them. Most sandbox games that I see now are increasingly cantered towards modding. But not minecraft.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
But if they encouraged the community, it would get bigger. See what I mean? Notch had even once stated that he felt that mods were a threat to his game, but had gradually accepted them. Most sandbox games that I see now are increasingly cantered towards modding. But not minecraft.
Mod compatibility doesn't appeal to marketing teams. Its hard to advertise it. The amount of money it costs to significantly improve modding makes it difficult to justify, since the modded community mostly grows by word of mouth, whereas "we now have horses!" gets into pc gaming news.

Its also why you see good features from mods being adopted into vanilla.

At the end of the day, Horses make $$$. Lack of obfuscation doesn't.

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
I think one of the other inherent problems to modded Minecraft is the frequent wiping it necessitates. With vanilla you can keep a world around between updates (see 2b2t), but with mods, they come and go forcing world wipes and your precious builds get annihilated - some people just can't deal with that. Maybe the upcoming item IDs > item names system might fix that?

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I think one of the other inherent problems to modded Minecraft is the frequent wiping it necessitates. With vanilla you can keep a world around between updates (see 2b2t), but with mods, they come and go forcing world wipes and your precious builds get annihilated - some people just can't deal with that. Maybe the upcoming item IDs > item names system might fix that?

Sadly, I don't think so. Mojang is rewriting so much in 1.8 that I highly doubt we'll be able to pull 1.7 worlds through the update.

Reactions: midi_sec

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Sadly, I don't think so. Mojang is rewriting so much in 1.8 that I highly doubt we'll be able to pull 1.7 worlds through the update.

which is why I'm running out of reasons why I should jump to 1.7 permanently.

and here I go, into the waiting trap. :(

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
which is why I'm running out of reasons why I should jump to 1.7 permanently.

and here I go, into the waiting trap. :(

Personally, I would stick with 1.6. My performance is awful in 1.7 for whatever reason, and it sounds like there's quite a few people who are experiencing the same issues I am.