Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Nether portals=8x less wiring.
For true point to point teleportation, you're stuck with tesseracts.
As Reika has said before, he won't make his own portals because the energy required would be ridiculous.
However, I like the orbital microwave sattelite idea. Maybe it could use an antenna (solar tower) that increases efficiency as the area increases..

But how would you get the sattelite into orbit? Galacticraft? Then we're stuck with cross mod dependance again.

Hrm. Good question. I suppose I'd use one of his railguns to "shoot" it up in the air faster than you can see.

Btw, if we could successfully capture specific neutrinos, you could just point your neutrino beam directly at the receiver, through basically anything (dirt, cobble, lead, continents) and it would essentially all reach its target anyway. Beefcake!

ton2790

Jul 29, 2019
Hrm. Good question. I suppose I'd use one of his railguns to "shoot" it up in the air faster than you can see.

Btw, if we could successfully capture specific neutrinos, you could just point your neutrino beam directly at the receiver, through basically anything (dirt, cobble, lead, continents) and it would essentially all reach its target anyway. Beefcake!
But then we need to add a particle accelerator for the generation of the neutrino beam, and the efficiency of those things are incredibly bad. I can't think of a solution that isn't pure handwavium.

EDIT: @Reika, what are your thoughts on Tesla's wardenclyffe tower? Is it feasible?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wardenclyffe_Tower

Reactions: Not_Steve

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
But then we need to add a particle accelerator for the generation of the neutrino beam, and the efficiency of those things are incredibly bad. I can't think of a solution that isn't pure handwavium.
I'm sure I mentioned the word hilarious somewhere :p Besides, handwavium is perfectly cromulent technology.

Reactions: ton2790

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
For true point to point teleportation, you're stuck with tesseracts.
As Reika has said before, he won't make his own portals because the energy required would be ridiculous.
However, I like the orbital microwave sattelite idea. Maybe it could use an antenna (solar tower) that increases efficiency as the area increases..

But how would you get the sattelite into orbit? Galacticraft? Then we're stuck with cross mod dependance again.
Mystcraft portals.

ton2790

Jul 29, 2019
Mystcraft portals.
Unfortunately that still requires an external mod, albeit a nigh-ubiquitous one.[DOUBLEPOST=1406224836][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'm sure I mentioned the word hilarious somewhere :p Besides, handwavium is perfectly cromulent technology.

Maybe...maybe you can use a neutron beam to generate neutrinos? In that case you can make your reactors far off, but have the turbines close to your base.

Reactions: Pyure

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
  • RotaryCraft: Swapped tungsten and aluminum Extractor bonuses
WAIT WHAT?
tungsten from iron ore now?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
  • RotaryCraft: Swapped tungsten and aluminum Extractor bonuses
WAIT WHAT?
tungsten from iron ore now?

People griped that making tungsten dependent on silk touch (redstone ore) was a bit harsh.
I'm guessing this is Reika being nice and facilitating your tungsten acquisition.

ton2790

Jul 29, 2019
People griped that making tungsten dependent on silk touch (redstone ore) was a bit harsh.
I'm guessing this is Reika being nice and facilitating your tungsten acquisition.
From a gameplay standpoint, that makes sense. But redstone has been assumed to be a ferromagnetic iron-copper double salt in the past. Where does the aluminium come from?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
From a gameplay standpoint, that makes sense. But redstone has been assumed to be a ferromagnetic iron-copper double salt in the past. Where does the aluminium come from?
Great Britain. Aluminum, well, that's altogether different.
kidding.

I guess its one of those things where we can say redstone comprises whatever the hell we want it to.

EyeDeck

Apr 16, 2013
I asked for clarification about portal-shafts when Reika was implementing them. Shaft nether portals don't actually respect the 8:1 nether:overworld ratio. That is to say, a shaft fed through a nether portal at (1000,90,1000) will only connect to a shaft in the overworld at (1000,90,1000) too, not (125,90,125) like you would expect. I found that fact immensely disappointing.

Reactions: Padfoote

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I asked for clarification about portal-shafts when Reika was implementing them. Shaft nether portals don't actually respect the 8:1 nether:overworld ratio. That is to say, a shaft fed through a nether portal at (1000,90,1000) will only connect to a shaft in the overworld at (1000,90,1000) too, not (125,90,125) like you would expect. I found that fact immensely disappointing.
It is something I am willing though possibly not able to change.

Robert S.

Jul 29, 2019
Not callin ya out or anything, but how are they cheap? You have to get ethanol production going before you can come close a steam engine in terms of output. Also, why would they be close to requiring what a nuclear reactor requires for lube? They have nowhere near the same properties, both in terms of physical construction and in terms of both rotational and torque output potential. Reika isn't Greg, he doesn't wield the nerf bat like a hyperactive ten year-old would wield a claw hammer in a china shop.

Minimal output potential would tend to imply minimum required upkeep. Not saying it'd eliminate it altogether, but it wouldn't be ridiculous. Besides, I'm not trying to power a million different things, just an auto farm.

My guesswork wasn't nearly close to being in the ballpark. That is what I get for posting right before I go to sleep for the day, sorry for the hysteria I was just too tired to test it out myself.

Also to defend my initial bold, and PERSONAL (can't stress this enough) opinion regarding mag engines...I'm going to do it rather weakly. I don't think they are game breaking, I think they are balanced nice, I think they tie in other major RF producing machines nicely in FTB mod packs, but I just don't like to use them. Not trying to start a holy war or anything (wasn't there an online rule somewhere about putting an emoticon at the end of a sentence de-fangs the entire tone of the wording?) Using them on one specific thing is one thing, I've seen setups with dozens of these hooked together, being powered by one large and insanely inefficient Big Reactor all to overclock the machines, yet when I comment that there are more efficient set ups I get called an idiot. Then when there is server lag those people are the same ones to bitch first... also usually the same people that love to build pipe/cable loops. That's all, see no harm meet. Can I get off the bad boy list now? :D

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
My guesswork wasn't nearly close to being in the ballpark. That is what I get for posting right before I go to sleep for the day, sorry for the hysteria I was just too tired to test it out myself.

Also to defend my initial bold, and PERSONAL (can't stress this enough) opinion regarding mag engines...I'm going to do it rather weakly. I don't think they are game breaking, I think they are balanced nice, I think they tie in other major RF producing machines nicely in FTB mod packs, but I just don't like to use them. Not trying to start a holy war or anything (wasn't there an online rule somewhere about putting an emoticon at the end of a sentence de-fangs the entire tone of the wording?) Using them on one specific thing is one thing, I've seen setups with dozens of these hooked together, being powered by one large and insanely inefficient Big Reactor all to overclock the machines, yet when I comment that there are more efficient set ups I get called an idiot. Then when there is server lag those people are the same ones to bitch first... also usually the same people that love to build pipe/cable loops. That's all, see no harm meet. Can I get off the bad boy list now? :D
Magnetostatics produce RoC watts, not RF. And if you're saying that they're on par with conversion machines in other mods, you're in the wrong mod.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
It is something I am willing though possibly not able to change.

I hadn't tried to use Nether portals to transmit shaft power yet. I would have expected whatever portal it went into, it came out of.

For us on large servers, our world border prevent the Nether from growing. 1000,1000 in the Nether would be way outside our world border (8000!).

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I hadn't tried to use Nether portals to transmit shaft power yet. I would have expected whatever portal it went into, it came out of.
It has no interaction with player-teleportation code.

For us on large servers, our world border prevent the Nether from growing. 1000,1000 in the Nether would be way outside our world border (8000!).
So is this an argument against applying scaling?

ton2790

Jul 29, 2019
It has no interaction with player-teleportation code.

So is this an argument against applying scaling?
I think what he's saying is that since the nether is 8x smaller, the point that connects to the overworld location does not exist in the nether.

Mysticmage11

Jul 29, 2019
Keep in mind I don't use RotaryCraft.

How about Drones? I understand that there is a camera in RC, so why not turn that into a Drone, controlled by a computer?