Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Robert S.

Jul 29, 2019
torque would be a silly measure to use since the majority of our energy is radiated right off the top of our head, and even if added to the total energy would be inconsequential.

in terms of power output, we are weak as a species. our strength is between our ears.

Strength in-between our ears, that's theoretical right? I mean have you looked at our species lately? :D

Robert S.

Jul 29, 2019
I do not like the idea of making it an Extractor byproduct. Making it an ore would also mean it would have to wait until the 1.7 update, as it is far too late to add worldgen to 1.6 worlds.
Yeah I figured, it was really a reach more then anything. It's kinda like answering the question of "how do you make a spacecraft" with the answer of "duct tape and love". *Snickers* Also I figured the last thing you would want to do is to add a new ore for people to freak out and spam the forums with "WTF is this?! More crap?! It's useless and takes up my ME system! -=rages=-" Unless of course a random meteor is floating around loaded with the stuff... *peers at a certain mod which does this*

... I'm being facetious, don't scald me. Ultimately besides the gen issue, can I get any type of read on your opinion of my research? Just outta pure curiosity.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
So, wait a tick...as of v25, magnetostatics require lube? How much do they use? Is it close to, say, hydrokinetic engine levels, or closer to a steel gearbox? I ask because I mostly use magnetostatics to replace steam engines in my builds, since they're my most commonly-used engine, both because the former produces no noise and they require no fire be beneath them.

Robert S.

Jul 29, 2019
I don't use magnetostatics (cheap in my opinion :p) however based on the new reactor turbine thirst for lubricant, if the magnetostatics are anything close to that, you better have a surplus sir. Honestly as long as you have a automated canola farm going and a grinder that is hauling ass, it isn't a problem. However is it more like "throw a bucket in and come back in 20 minutes"? No.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I don't use magnetostatics (cheap in my opinion :p) however based on the new reactor turbine thirst for lubricant, if the magnetostatics are anything close to that, you better have a surplus sir. Honestly as long as you have a automated canola farm going and a grinder that is hauling ass, it isn't a problem. However is it more like "throw a bucket in and come back in 20 minutes"? No.
Not callin ya out or anything, but how are they cheap? You have to get ethanol production going before you can come close a steam engine in terms of output. Also, why would they be close to requiring what a nuclear reactor requires for lube? They have nowhere near the same properties, both in terms of physical construction and in terms of both rotational and torque output potential. Reika isn't Greg, he doesn't wield the nerf bat like a hyperactive ten year-old would wield a claw hammer in a china shop.

Minimal output potential would tend to imply minimum required upkeep. Not saying it'd eliminate it altogether, but it wouldn't be ridiculous. Besides, I'm not trying to power a million different things, just an auto farm.

Reactions: pizzawolf14

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Also, why would they be close to requiring what a nuclear reactor requires for lube?
Is this actually true or guesswork?

But still, the block provides a really useful bridge to leverage a much simpler energy system. I think its really as easy as that: you're paying for the privilege.

And you can make all kinds of thematic arguments that bridging the power systems is as complicated as a nuclear setup I suppose :)

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Is this actually true or guesswork?

But still, the block provides a really useful bridge to leverage a much simpler energy system. I think its really as easy as that: you're paying for the privilege.

And you can make all kinds of thematic arguments that bridging the power systems is as complicated as a nuclear setup I suppose :)
Again, I think you're confusing Reika with Greg. There's zero reason for the requirements to be so obscenely high for such a trifling (in the early days) amount of output outside "screw you, users!" My argument is mostly educated guesswork, yes, but its based both on the theme of the mod and what I've managed to gather about Reika's modus operandi as a mod author.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Again, I think you're confusing Reika with Greg. There's zero reason for the requirements to be so obscenely high for such a trifling (in the early days) amount of output outside "screw you, users!" My argument is mostly educated guesswork, yes, but its based both on the theme of the mod and what I've managed to gather about Reika's modus operandi as a mod author.
I'm not super convinced I'm confusing them at all.

Reika designed his mod with the idea of players going through a progression. He added some cross-mod compatibility, and suddenly people were skirting the progression. Some small adjustments here and there ensure that the kids get their cake and eat it too: they can still bridge power systems, but they have to earn it first.

I fully understand that many players (and I'm thinking Monster players in particular) are accustomed to getting to the top tier of one mod (say, TE) and expecting that it opens gates into the top tiers of other mods (Say Railcraft). RoC doesn't work that way, and for a lot of other players, that's how it should be.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not super convinced I'm confusing them at all.

Reika designed his mod with the idea of players going through a progression. He added some cross-mod compatibility, and suddenly people were skirting the progression. Some small adjustments here and there ensure that the kids get their cake and eat it too: they can still bridge power systems, but they have to earn it first.

I fully understand that many players (and I'm thinking Monster players in particular) are accustomed to getting to the top tier of one mod (say, TE) and expecting that it opens gates into the top tiers of other mods (Say Railcraft). RoC doesn't work that way, and for a lot of other players, that's how it should be.

So spamming the like button doesn't work, thus I must verbosely agree with you!

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
So, wait a tick...as of v25, magnetostatics require lube? How much do they use? Is it close to, say, hydrokinetic engine levels, or closer to a steel gearbox? I ask because I mostly use magnetostatics to replace steam engines in my builds, since they're my most commonly-used engine, both because the former produces no noise and they require no fire be beneath them.
The magnetostatic lubricant consumption is a function of tier.
Tier 0 uses 1mB every 1.05 seconds, up to Tier 5 which uses one every tick.

Magnetostatics are intended for late-game allowance of teleporting RC power, usually from ReactorCraft. By the time you are able to run a Tier 5, you also have plenty of lubricant.

You have to get ethanol production going before you can come close a steam engine in terms of output..
It sounds like you are confusing the rotational dynamo and the magnetostatic.

ton2790

Jul 29, 2019
I can't believe we're talking magnetostatics again. They're pretty well balanced, in my humble opinion. I don't use them for anything except power teleportation, and even that I'm phasing out in favor of the shaft portals. The main reasons people used to use them were that they were very power dense and cheap, and that they allowed compact and precise power distribution. The recent gating of the engines has largely solved the first problem, while a better alternative to power distribution exists in electricraft, for the absurdly large amounts of power it can transport.
Now is not the time to quibble about cross mod power exploits. Now is the time to focus on development of native features, like the absurdity of the hydrokinetic, or the lack of a native chunkloader. Now is the time to create more endgame content, to use the power of our reactors.

Cross mod power exploits will always exist. Right now, I can think of an easy one: A friction boiler makes steam, which turns a big reactors turbine, which runs a magnetostatic, which drives the original friction boiler. The only way to remove them is to remove cross mod interaction, which would seriously cripple the mod. Sometimes, you just have to deal with the exploits.

Tl; dr, please try to focus your energy on gameplay enriching features for RoC and ReC, rather than fighting over old issues.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
It sounds like you are confusing the rotational dynamo and the magnetostatic.

Unless TPPI changes the recipe for the Tier 1 converter upgrade, which if memory serves it doesn't because there's no tooltip indicating such, then the Tier 1 converter upgrade for the magnetostatic engine costs, among other things, 4 ethanol crystals per upgrade. A Tier 1 magnetostatic engine outputs 32 Nm @ 512 rad/s, the exact same output as a steam engine.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Unless TPPI changes the recipe for the Tier 1 converter upgrade, which if memory serves it doesn't because there's no tooltip indicating such, then the Tier 1 converter upgrade for the magnetostatic engine costs, among other things, 4 ethanol crystals per upgrade. A Tier 1 magnetostatic engine outputs 32 Nm @ 512 rad/s, the exact same output as a steam engine.

That sounds about right.

Reactions: Not_Steve

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Aye. I'm not fighting against the lube requirements, Reika can balance his mod however he likes. Looking at the consumption rates he quoted, it doesn't seem too huge, which is good. If anything, its nothing more than a very minor annoyance, but one that can easily be corrected with quick bonemeal production, some autonomous activators, and an item vacuum.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I don't use them for anything except power teleportation, and even that I'm phasing out in favor of the shaft portals
Wait, wth is a shaft portal? What did I miss?

Do you just mean running power from dimension to dimension via existing portals?

For a moment there I dared to hope that Reika added his own 1x1 portal mechanism...

ton2790

Jul 29, 2019
Wait, wth is a shaft portal? What did I miss?

Do you just mean running power from dimension to dimension via existing portals?

For a moment there I dared to hope that Reika added his own 1x1 portal mechanism...
If you place a shaft (with mount) in a portal, it connects to the other side of the portal, if they're in the same place.

Still waiting on an electricraft equivalent, if it's possible.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
If you place a shaft (with mount) in a portal, it connects to the other side of the portal, if they're in the same place.
That's what I meant by:
Too bad. Folks are still dependent on 3rd party unrealistic wormholes for long distance transportation (from a base to a theoretical underground boring machine 2km away)

I had a minor gripe in that it was pretty dependent on third-party blocks (tesseracts) for "serious" work. Even Reika needs these. Has anyone ever come up with a halfway plausible idea for transporting RoC/ElC power across long distances (same universe) that he would find reasonably convincing? Satellites/lasers? Neutrino-beam? (That last one is hilarious. Could I make an argument that bedrock is so dense that it can efficiently capture neutrinos? Um, specific neutrinos, not the billions flying out of trillions hitting it from the sun every second?)

Reactions: pizzawolf14

ton2790

Jul 29, 2019
That's what I meant by:

Too bad. Folks are still dependent on 3rd party unrealistic wormholes for long distance transportation (from a base to a theoretical underground boring machine 2km away)

I had a minor gripe in that it was pretty dependent on third-party blocks (tesseracts) for "serious" work. Even Reika needs these. Has anyone ever come up with a halfway plausible idea for transporting RoC/ElC power across long distances (same universe) that he would find reasonably convincing? Satellites/lasers? Neutrino-beam? (That last one is hilarious. Could I make an argument that bedrock is so dense that it can efficiently capture neutrinos? Um, specific neutrinos, not the billions flying out of trillions hitting it from the sun every second?)
Nether portals=8x less wiring.
For true point to point teleportation, you're stuck with tesseracts.
As Reika has said before, he won't make his own portals because the energy required would be ridiculous.
However, I like the orbital microwave sattelite idea. Maybe it could use an antenna (solar tower) that increases efficiency as the area increases..

But how would you get the sattelite into orbit? Galacticraft? Then we're stuck with cross mod dependance again.