Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

C

Cellular

Exploits.

Fix the exploits, don't go out of your way to remove compatibility. There are people who have the mental discipline to avoid the temptation of making things easy with project E. In any case, I just won't update if you remove ties...

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
There's a place of, er... "honor" reserved for comments like that. :p
If you mean Reika's sometimes-stupid wall-of-shame, this doesn't quite qualify. Try not to stir up shit by posting populist stuff to get a like from Reika.

Fix the exploits, don't go out of your way to remove compatibility. There are people who have the mental discipline to avoid the temptation of making things easy with project E. In any case, I just won't update if you remove ties...
This is definitely an option, just don't pursue any support later.

Reika is at constant war with other mods. His mods continuously leap over others for power but no mod can leap over his. That said: He absolutely reserves the right to clamp down on any mod interactions he doesn't like from his side. Our options are to play something else, play by his rules, or re-write his mod from scratch.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
If you mean Reika's sometimes-stupid wall-of-shame, this doesn't quite qualify. Try not to stir up shit by posting populist stuff to get a like from Reika.
A few posts have been edited since @Braidedheadman comment- the original message was a little more inflammatory.

On a lighter note- has Reika got any plans for April Fools?
I can see the funny side of switching to imperial units for a day or two. (or something equally outlandish and unexpected)​

Rubyheart

Jul 29, 2019
Quit while you're ahead guy, you're treading into dangerous territory.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

C

Cellular

Quit while you're ahead guy, you're treading into dangerous territory.

Ok, I'm just a little confused. Can anybody explain to me this entire thing? Is project E super controversial or something?

Braidedheadman

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not being hostile toward anybody nor am I suggesting that Reika is either. However, what you've done is issue an ultimatum: "Fix your mod [(reading between the lines): in a manner that I deem suitable] or I won't update." You'll find that won't get you very far is all that I'm saying. Peace.

C

Cellular

I'm not being hostile toward anybody nor am I suggesting that Reika is either. However, what you've done is issue an ultimatum: "Fix your mod [(reading between the lines): in a manner that I deem suitable] or I won't update." You'll find that won't get you very far is all that I'm saying. Peace.

Explain his issue with other mods.

Also, I didn't issue a REAL ultimatum because a single player not updating his game shouldn't mean anything to him unless he's got some serious issues.

Last edited:

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
It doesn't. But if you don't update he's under no obligation to assist with any issues that may occur in the older version. And ultimately it's his choice to support cross-mods or not. He does have cross-mod relations in other mods he's created (see chromaticraft). As for project e? I don't see an issue with it.

C

Cellular

It doesn't. But if you don't update he's under no obligation to assist with any issues that may occur in the older version. And ultimately it's his choice to support cross-mods or not. He does have cross-mod relations in other mods he's created (see chromaticraft). As for project e? I don't see an issue with it.

Ik he's under no obligation, if I ran into a serious issue I couldn't fix, I'd call a code-knowing friend. If that doesn't work, I'll update because I won't be stubborn and I don't use project E to cheat my way through his mods anyway. In fact, now that I think about it.. because I keep myself under control I don't really use the mod for reika's mods, so I shouldn't care anyways XD

Maybe I'll make myself useful and tell him all the items that are compatible. It's REALLY not much though. 98% can't be linked to project E at all. It's just some of the ores and the blast furnace interacting with the watch of flowing time (which I don't find necessary because I just make 100 blast furnaces for optimal speed, I tend to industrialize just about everything :p. You should see my ethanol farm..)

C

Cellular

Put down the shovel.

What's the major problem though? And If I were to speak the truth about the entire thing, that shovel would be a rocket launcher.

Last edited:

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Being able to accelerate most of the RC machines completely negates the "more input speed = faster operations, with diminishing returns" mechanic. It allows for someone to have the functional equivalent of, say, a grinder with 16MW power input for the cost of 16kW. Now you tell me how it is possible to fix the exploit and allow the machines to be accelerated without allowing them to be accelerated.

Additionally, good luck "not updating" to avoid this: That has been present for well over a year. And saying you will refuse to update over a petty issue is a good way to make me stop reading anything you ever submit, ever again, because what good is advice, requests or help from someone using an old version? That time can be spent reading a message from someone who actually matters.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
I was thinking of natural gas as a power source in minecraft, after reading these last few pages. And, burning gas for power is ultimately about steam.

So, a source of fire, and a source of water, should act as a source of steam for a turbine.

And I thought about that.

In minecraft, fire on top of netherrack cannot be distinguished from fire from consumable fuel. Water, in most worlds, is infinite, and even without infinite water, some reservoirs open to rain is close enough.

As much as I'd love to have something like this, the bottom line is that unless you have mods that:
a) Restrict water, and
b) Give you limited supplies of gas for fire fuel

it can't really fit.

===

Now, some sense of a "hot enough" fire -- the idea being that a really hot fire could boil water to make steam for a turbine, but normal burning wood / burning netherrack / burning coal isn't hot enough, but burning a limited supply of mod-generated natural gas? That might be something that could "fit". But on the scale of one-meter blocks?

And the ultimate balance question: How can you be certain that a mod's limited supply of gasses is not reconfigured to be really large?

I'm not familiar with GasCraft. I know of Genn's Gasses, and I'm familiar with (play with) Harder Underground/Reasonable Realism. HU's gasses are finite, and normally only a flammable, explosive hazard, that generate as long thin tubes. (Think hitting an open cave, or mineshaft, and running into a torch or lava...). Given the normal "leakage", by the time you have the tech to make use of it, any source of gas that was open to the air will be gone, and you'll have to try to find a sealed section that did not run into a way to the surface. (NB: Yes, I have found them flooding the roof of a sealed ravine, so it does happen :).

As a powerful, but non-renewable source of fuel? Is the gas in GC or GG renewable/manufacturable?

Being able to tell whether water is a world-scarce resource (not the norm) or a challenge (the oddball)?

How much power should be generated based on the difficulty?

... Balance. I can't see it as doable. More than anything to do with "can it be done" or "how hard to implement", is "balancing the output".

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Idea for the CCTV cameras: Can you use LookingGlass for them?

Looking Glass is basically a library/API for rendering a view of a location onto a surface you tell it to. Mystcraft uses this for it's link books, and SecurityCraft uses it for cameras. When I saw that last bit, I immediately thought of the non-functional CCTV cameras here.

Reactions: gallowglass
C

Cellular

Being able to accelerate most of the RC machines completely negates the "more input speed = faster operations, with diminishing returns" mechanic. It allows for someone to have the functional equivalent of, say, a grinder with 16MW power input for the cost of 16kW. Now you tell me how it is possible to fix the exploit and allow the machines to be accelerated without allowing them to be accelerated.

Additionally, good luck "not updating" to avoid this: That has been present for well over a year. And saying you will refuse to update over a petty issue is a good way to make me stop reading anything you ever submit, ever again, because what good is advice, requests or help from someone using an old version? That time can be spent reading a message from someone who actually matters.

Alright, I'll apologize for the update comment. I would find it hard not to enjoy new features as I am a long time fan of your mods. However I do not agree that validity of advice depends on what version you're running... And you seem to have made the claim that I don't matter if I don't update. Not all the elders of today are up to date, but they still offer wisdom.

In regards to the fixes there are a few things I would like to go over as there is consideration to be done. I hold the opinion that your current system for mod power bridging had a good idea to start, but then went rotten as you went overboard with the diminishing return. Your idea to introduce expensive upgrades only available once RC was nearly complete was a good one, but for some reason you insist on making us use big quantities of liquid nitrogen and power like RF and EU because of the severe efficiency loss. If we are at end game for RC there is no sense in "acceleration" as you are already at the end, and acceleration was prevented by the upgrades containing tungsten; so why make us suffer so much to get reasonable power from other sources once we have the materials to bridge? If you're at end game you have plenty of jet fuel and a gas turbine is no problem, so why make the same amount of power through something like EU severely expensive in comparison to using the gas turbine? I speculate that you much prefer that we use the traditional methods you introduced (turbine), this reveals to me that you might have a more personal issue with other mods. This might be true or not true at all, if it is true I guess I would understand as I'm told you struggle to stay at the top as I imagine every mod Dev does. Anyways, for the fix itself...

For project E, a similar system could be implemented. I have thought of a way to make this possible without exploit. Before this we'll consider the EMC issue. In order to manage this I would simply say forget it, I don't think we really need to be able to readily replicate items anyways. The emc issue could have strange solutions like a rare tome you find that gives you access to knowledge about emc for certain materials, but I wouldn't care either way. What I want to focus on is the compatibility in regards to items like the watch of flowing time. If you're not familiar with this handy object, it gives bonus ticks to nearby machines which produces a speed boost. You could add components that you insert into machines in order to make them affected by this watch, and the upgrades could be made semi-expensive to super expensive depending on what you see fit. You could keep the realism in mind here too in regards to thermodynamics:

A machine runs faster in a sped up dimension

Though the machine is in a faster dimension, it consumes or produces the same amount of energy at a faster rate (otherwise you disobey the first law)

Knowing this, a running machine, though faster, would consume energy faster because of its speed increase in the same way an engine could output more power but increase fuel intake. Keep in mind efficiency loss is not relevant here because you're changing time itself and not the actual machine physics. So I would say make the watch compatible and realistic in the sense of energy conservation. The end game like upgrades prevent early acceleration like I explained earlier and can act as a way to have fun while you're grinding out the very last of progression.

Leave me a response and tell me what you think. I'll make sure to fix any misconceptions I may have created through this.