Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

C

Cellular

What I'm actually looking for is what it adds to the game from a gameplay perspective. There's tons of things you can add to the game that "make sense", but don't contribute actual gameplay value.

What Reika won't do is add another fuel-in-power-out generator that is a duplicate of an existing turbine but with another name and fluid input. Its also tricky to justify another generator given that the existing ones are essentially cleanly tiered such that you can progress up the line from one to the next.

My chemistry is weak: can natural gas be broken into components that would function in a gas turbine? I strongly suspect the best you can hope for is an argument for cross-mod compatibility. That's what it would add to RotaryCraft. And there's a precedent for it: if you can describe how your GasCraft fluid would translate into Gas Turbine fuel sensibly and in a balanced fashion, you're more likely to get a positive response.

Likewise, cost-benefit analysis: asking for a machine that does nothing new has high cost, low benefit. Asking for a recipe that translates your fluid into a fuel for an existing machine has lot cost and whatever benefit you can argue for (I'm not familiar with GasCraft and have no idea how popular it is or whether its players are likely to also be RotaryCraft players)

Why make it difficult by saying it can only be the current gas turbine? And what cost are you talking about when you mention the addition of a recipe or engine? Also, in terms of what it adds, it just gives me a way to burn this stuff effectively. It's not like I'm trying to improve the mod. I just want it convenient for people who use gascraft and rotarycraft.

Rubyheart

Jul 29, 2019
So.... it would be another fuel-in-power-out generator that is a duplicate of an existing turbine but with another name and fluid input.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
(1)Why make it difficult by saying it can only be the current gas turbine? (2)And what cost are you talking about when you mention the addition of a recipe or engine? (3)Also, in terms of what it adds, it just gives me a way to burn this stuff effectively. It's not like I'm trying to improve the mod. (4) I just want it convenient for people who use gascraft and rotarycraft.
Good questions Cellular. I've numerated them.

1) Because devs sometimes don't like to "waste" their time adding something that already exists. Duplicate gameplay mechanics mean extra maintenance, extra work when making balance adjustments.
2) Reika's time.
3) Reika has demonstrated that he's willing to incorporate cross-mod compatibility mechanisms, typically with very popular systems such as RF and Steam. But if you're not "trying to improve the mod", this is a point against your suggestion. Why would Reika want to implement something that doesn't improve the mod?
4) This makes sense. Which is why I was a bit curious as to GasCraft's popularity. Going back to the cost/benefit analysis discussion, if GasCraft has tons of users, it makes more sense than otherwise to bridge the communities.

Reactions: Reika

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Good questions Cellular. I've numerated them.

1) Because devs sometimes don't like to "waste" their time adding something that already exists. Duplicate gameplay mechanics mean extra maintenance, extra work when making balance adjustments.
2) Reika's time.
3) Reika has demonstrated that he's willing to incorporate cross-mod compatibility mechanisms, typically with very popular systems such as RF and Steam. But if you're not "trying to improve the mod", this is a point against your suggestion. Why would Reika want to implement something that doesn't improve the mod?
4) This makes sense. Which is why I was a bit curious as to GasCraft's popularity. Going back to the cost/benefit analysis discussion, if GasCraft has tons of users, it makes more sense than otherwise to bridge the communities.
And #5 - in order not to negatively affect the RotaryCraft progression, it will have to be strongly gated. If the fuel-powered engine is any indication, that severely hampers its popularity.

C

Cellular

What I'm actually looking for is what it adds to the game from a gameplay perspective. There's tons of things you can add to the game that "make sense", but don't contribute actual gameplay value.

What Reika won't do is add another fuel-in-power-out generator that is a duplicate of an existing turbine but with another name and fluid input. Its also tricky to justify another generator given that the existing ones are essentially cleanly tiered such that you can progress up the line from one to the next.

My chemistry is weak: can natural gas be broken into components that would function in a gas turbine? I strongly suspect the best you can hope for is an argument for cross-mod compatibility. That's what it would add to RotaryCraft. And there's a precedent for it: if you can describe how your GasCraft fluid would translate into Gas Turbine fuel sensibly and in a balanced fashion, you're more likely to get a positive response.

Likewise, cost-benefit analysis: asking for a machine that does nothing new has high cost, low benefit. Asking for a recipe that translates your fluid into a fuel for an existing machine has lot cost and whatever benefit you can argue for (I'm not familiar with GasCraft and have no idea how popular it is or whether its players are likely to also be RotaryCraft players)

I thought I had put in a response, did it get deleted? anyways here's a rewrite:

What cost are you referring to when you mention the addition of an engine or recipe? And as far as what it brings to gameplay, I'm just looking for convenience as there isn't many ways to burn this stuff. As I mentioned I very much dislike TE dynamos because of how they function with fuels. Because of this I thought a rotarycraft engine would be a nice way to go. To keep it to tier stability just do the same thing you did with the fuel powered engine and make a mid game recipe for it. With this engine you could also allow it to burn pneumaticraft lpg or other gases from varying mods.

C

Cellular

I wrote a second response on accident, it seems that you guys can see it. I'm not able to so sorry for reposting that. As far as this engine goes I kind of see what you're saying. Because people apparently don't use these mods as much there's no point in putting in this apparent huge amount of time it takes to develop this engine. Along with the fact that it introduces complications to the progression ladder and with maintaining what I'll call the game code.

[EDIT]

ok i didn't see the button that said "there are more posts to display, show them?" or something like that, again sorry for reposting

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
There's two ways you could feasibly use natural gas. One is to use it straight as methane is highly flamible and is currently used in not just power plants but also in vehicles (a company called waste management (it's in Minnesota as an fyi) uses it to power its garbage trucks.) it also could break down into hydrogen (methane is ch4 fwiw) which is well known as a possible source of energy.

This is just a minor chemistry lesson... I could probably go further but that would mean talking to my father-in-law whose phd is in chemistry and that's just to much Sheldon (from Big Bang) for tonight

Further wiki-ing leads me to this: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_gas

Last edited:
C

Cellular

Has anybody ever thought of transferring electricraft power wirelessly? Now I know what you're thinking but hold on. I'm thinking Tesla coils. These things aren't too far from reality and they could be implemented to not be far fetched. Take this for example: You wouldn't simply place a coil at point A then go to point B and start letting power flow over a long distance, it should be something like one coil placed down, then, with no blocks in between, another coil placed thirty meters away (or whatever standard you set) and then another after thirty more meters until the destination is reached. They could be made to be semi difficult to craft and have multiple types that can handle varying voltage and electrical current; thus in order to transport a large amount of power advanced coils would need to be crafted. You might also want to make the electrical loss greater with these things, and maybe provide a way to reduce it, at a cost of course.
Let me know what you think of this.

C

Cellular

There's two ways you could feasibly use natural gas. One is to use it straight as methane is highly flamible and is currently used in not just power plants but also in vehicles (a company called waste management (it's in Minnesota as an fyi) uses it to power its garbage trucks.) it also could break down into hydrogen (methane is ch4 fwiw) which is well known as a possible source of energy.

This is just a minor chemistry lesson... I could probably go further but that would mean talking to my father-in-law whose phd is in chemistry and that's just to much Sheldon (from Big Bang) for tonight

Further wiki-ing leads me to this: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_gas

Methane and hydrogen are not the only feasible ways to burn natural gas... Also, straight as methane doesn't make the most sense to me as I think the natural gas that is fracked for and evaporated from crude oil isn't only methane, it's a combination of multiple hydrocarbons.

[EDIT]

I should mention too that propane is very widely used, as is butane. You can also look into propane's use in generators.

Last edited:

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
Fracked would be a "wet" natural gas which you're correct in stating is multiple hydrocarbons. "Dry" natural gas is normally pure methane as per the wiki. Also, I only said these two ideas. I never claimed that there were not other ways the process or break it down. I only claimed feasibility.

C

Cellular

Fracked would be a "wet" natural gas which you're correct in stating is multiple hydrocarbons. "Dry" natural gas is normally pure methane as per the wiki. Also, I only said these two ideas. I never claimed that there were not other ways the process or break it down. I only claimed feasibility.

How is dry procured?

gallowglass

Jul 29, 2019
And #5 - in order not to negatively affect the RotaryCraft progression, it will have to be strongly gated. If the fuel-powered engine is any indication, that severely hampers its popularity.

I LOVE the fuel powered engine in RotaryCraft.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coalbed_methane

Drop a pipe into a coalbed and add water and a pump. As the pressure decreases the methane is able to be collected.

*please note this isn't neccessarily a request to be added. But an answer to two previous questions. First by pyure asking for chemistry of it. And then in response to cellular
I actually like that you framed this request in terms of existing mechanics. +1.

Not sure what a coalbed would be in game mechanics, or what uses the Methane would have. Although I like the idea of getting "sweet gas" from the coalbed in this method for GregTech, since right now we do need to treat the presence of Hydrogen Sulfide.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
So, kind of a trade-off: either mine the coal for more fuel (and jet fuel ingredients), or extract it, lose the ore, but gain methane to toy around with. Hm...

C

Cellular

Also, if a way to convert the methane into power is introduced, it seems like you could help people out by letting them burn pneumaticraft lpg in them too.

Also out of curiosity, it seems reika has made his mods compatible with project E. What are all the machines affected by the watch of flowing time? I've discovered that the blast furnace is affected so far.

Last edited:

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Also, if a way to convert the methane into power is introduced, it seems like you could help people out by letting them burn pneumaticraft lpg in them too.

Also out of curiosity, it seems reika has made his mods compatible with project E. What are all the machines affected by the watch of flowing time? I've discovered that the blast furnace is affected so far.
Anything that accepts power will be blacklisted.