Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
Hrm...I'll try pumping it into just the top. Thankfully, I got plenty of ducts, lol.

There's a known bug that will be fixed in next version. For now, you actually need the tower to be empty of water. Including the bottom block which will need to be broken and replaced.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Not really a bug report, but just a nitpick. With the NetherOres mod, Nether ores are worth double normal ores. You can smelt them into two normal ores, pulverizes will give you four dust instead of two, etc The grinder however, gives the same three flakes as a normal ore, instead of the expected six. Intended, or oversight? (Or not your problem?)

EDIT: Looks like the rate is boosted in the Extractor, so it's probably intended then. No worries.
No, that is an oversight.

Rubyheart

Jul 29, 2019
So... this happened with a smeltery.

2015-10-13_22.52.36.png
2015-10-13_22.52.45.png

Rubyheart

Jul 29, 2019
No worries, I just thought it was funny. With the right angle, it's invisible. Also, I melted some random scrap I found, and had enough left over for 6 nuggets. It wouldn't let me pour it into a nugget cast, are they just stuck as molten hsla steel until I find 3 more nuggets worth of scrap?

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
No worries, I just thought it was funny. With the right angle, it's invisible. Also, I melted some random scrap I found, and had enough left over for 6 nuggets. It wouldn't let me pour it into a nugget cast, are they just stuck as molten hsla steel until I find 3 more nuggets worth of scrap?
There is no such thing as an HSLA nugget.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Unlikely to ever get fixed. His renderer does not play well with custom item renderers.
I noticed other strange visual effects with your items...like picking them up will make them go weirdly to the right hand side of the screen...picking up or dropping these items with fast graphics kinda looks weird and out of line with other items.
Items from other mods with custom renderers seem to work properly.

As expected, it also breaks this thing of mine (and Thaumcraft pedestals, and Blood Magic altar, probably about anything that renders items):
upload_2015-10-14_12-33-0.png
it's supposed to render nicely on the center and it actually does if you look at it from the opposite direction:
upload_2015-10-14_12-34-19.png

For some reason you are taking the player's view direction into account...it's kinda difficult to play well with that :p especially when the perspective is supposed to be fixed like with TiC.
Also, I wonder why you need a custom renderer at all for items that just seem to be regular textures with no special effects?

Last edited:

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I noticed other strange visual effects with your items...like picking them up will make them go weirdly to the right hand side of the screen...picking up or dropping these items with fast graphics kinda looks weird and out of line with other items.
Items from other mods with custom renderers seem to work properly.

As expected, it also breaks this thing of mine (and Thaumcraft pedestals, and Blood Magic altar, probably about anything that renders items):
View attachment 23829
it's supposed to render nicely on the center and it actually does if you look at it from the opposite direction:
View attachment 23830

For some reason you are taking the player's view direction into account...it's kinda difficult to play well with that :p especially when the perspective is supposed to be fixed like with TiC.
If it is taking the player rotation into account, that is because the block's renderer is telling the item to render as if it was held in hand. Aside from being the wrong way to do it, I need to take player rotation into account, or it does not rotate with them when they turn.

Also, I wonder why you need a custom renderer at all for items that just seem to be regular textures with no special effects?
Because I do not use the vanilla item texture system.

Also, if the block render does not work with custom item renders, that is not an argument for items not using custom renderers.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Aside from being the wrong way to do it, I need to take player rotation into account, or it does not rotate with them when they turn.
Oh I see, I thought it was somehow possible without and vanilla does it this way too.
However, vanilla only takes playerViewY ito account and not playerViewX...maybe that is the culprit here. Normally items, even in fast graphics, are always perpendicular to the xz-plane, they're never facing upwards.

Edit: Oh, I see you meant something different. The blocks I mentioned render items not as if they were held in hand, but rather as if they were entities on the ground. I'm talking about this: https://github.com/ReikaKalseki/Dra...08/Auxiliary/ReikaSpriteSheets.java#L161-L162
Vanilla also does the playerViewY-part, but not the playerViewX-part.

Also, if the block render does not work with custom item renders, that is not an argument for items not using custom renderers.
I would rather say if the item renderer doesn't work properly with about any block renders (that do work with vanilla items), this might be an argument for that something is wrong with the item renderer ;)

Last edited:

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
So, lets say I want to start a new world, and I want to use forestry.

Lets say that I now know that starting with Forestry 3, and then upgrading, will be a future disaster, and I want to avoid that by starting with Forestry 4.

Lets also assume that I'm willing to put up with such things as "no Binnies" for a while.

Lets also assume that I consider RoC to be as important as forestry, and I want both in the pack.

I'm perfectly happy if RoC ignores forestry 4, and just treats the blocks as "generic, unknown blocks". I just need them to both run together.

Bedrock axe, or tree cutter, would be nice touches, but not essential.

Is there a way to make this work?

(I want RoC. I have 2 players that want bees and genetics. Starting a word with 3, knowing that updating to 4 will break is a non-starter. Starting a world and being stuck forever on 3 is a ... very low desire. Binnie's is the only forestry add-on that I want/need that isn't updated yet. Gendustry is a "don't care either way" add-on.)

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Replace binnie with gendustry

Edit: Specifically the JSON bees+hives

Also, currently you are GOING to have to delay if you don't want to replace 3 with 4 and use RoC. Unless you want to retrogen... which might work with forestry? I honestly cannot say.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
So, lets say I want to start a new world, and I want to use forestry.

Lets say that I now know that starting with Forestry 3, and then upgrading, will be a future disaster, and I want to avoid that by starting with Forestry 4.

Lets also assume that I'm willing to put up with such things as "no Binnies" for a while.

Lets also assume that I consider RoC to be as important as forestry, and I want both in the pack.

I'm perfectly happy if RoC ignores forestry 4, and just treats the blocks as "generic, unknown blocks". I just need them to both run together.

Bedrock axe, or tree cutter, would be nice touches, but not essential.

Is there a way to make this work?

(I want RoC. I have 2 players that want bees and genetics. Starting a word with 3, knowing that updating to 4 will break is a non-starter. Starting a world and being stuck forever on 3 is a ... very low desire. Binnie's is the only forestry add-on that I want/need that isn't updated yet. Gendustry is a "don't care either way" add-on.)
I cannot update to 4 until players who are still on 3 and refuse to update are no longer the majority.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
I think I asked you this before, but would it be possible to detect the difference between Forestry 3.6 and 4, and disable the integration/api/what-have-you that causes the crashes?

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I think I asked you this before, but would it be possible to detect the difference between Forestry 3.6 and 4, and disable the integration/api/what-have-you that causes the crashes?
This was asked recently on the IRC. Not desirably. For one, it sets a very bad precedent of version-specific support that people will come to expect. Second, because this interaction happens to be something disableable, it will help perpetuate the already-pervasive idea that all mod interactions are as such, and I will soon see people asking for things like conditional AE or TC support, which is impossible, but unexplainable to someone unaware of things like interfaces or class dependencies.

FeldrinH

Jul 29, 2019
Would you add config options to disable lubricant requirements of gearboxes, high-ratio gears etc?
I feel that having to constantly supply lubricant makes them really uncomfortable to use.

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
it's also a key part of the balance of rotaryraft. If you don't like it - use cooled wood (if wood can handle it) or bedrock gearboxes. The high ratio gears are just a more compact double 16x gearbox.