Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

reteo

Jul 29, 2019
I do not see the utility.

You don't see the utility of alloying ores using flakes?

Some RotaryCraft recipes include invar and electrum. In the absence of mods like Thermal Expansion, Tinker's Construct, and EnderIO, some kind of alloying mechanic would be very useful indeed. Besides, you seem to be building up RotaryCraft to have its own version of every other mod's mechanic for itself, so I would imagine ore alloying would be one such mechanic. Heck, you do it with spring steel and bedrock ingots.

Also, Reika, just to check; I intend to add canola seeds to the ore dictionary as an oil source; this will allow Vegan Option to make canola seeds (along with an iron pressure plate/harvestcraft juicer and a glass bottle) into a bottle of vegetable oil. Would that cause any problems? I mean, after all, canola oil is definitely a well-known cooking oil. ;)

Last edited:

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
You don't see the utility of alloying ores using flakes?

Some RotaryCraft recipes include invar and electrum. In the absence of mods like Thermal Expansion, Tinker's Construct, and EnderIO, some kind of alloying mechanic would be very useful indeed.
Without those mods, there is no invar or electrum.

reteo

Jul 29, 2019
Thermal Foundation provides the ores and metals; Thermal Expansion just provides a way to alloy them. I use the former to provide copper and tin for making copper and bronze tools, and am seeking a way to drop the requirement for Tinker's Construct without adding mods that upstage RoC. (Right now, I need an alternate way to change pickaxe harvest levels, and a way to alloy bronze without all the above-mentioned mods; the first, I have a line on another mod that may work, but for alloying, I'm still looking)

And oredicting canola to be made into vegetable oil? Yes? No? Go take a long walk off a short pier, Reteo?

Last edited:

EyeDeck

Apr 16, 2013
After the rebalancing in v8, am I still supposed to be able to go DC engine -> gasoline engine -> microturbine -> gas turbine, without strictly having to use any of the intermediary engines? To be clear, I've already done this, it just strikes me as a bit odd that the performance engine is extractor gated when you can skip it altogether until sintered tungsten.

Also, I noticed a peculiarity with the blast furnace: heating one with lava will get it to ~600-630c, depending on ambient of course, but adding an additional netherrack fire will heat it another 200 degrees to ~800-830c.

EDIT: This may or may not be your fault, but sorting through blast furnace recipes for bedrock dust in NEI, going through the TiCon recipes causes a client crash when it reaches and attempts to display invalid recipes for bedrock bowstrings and fletching and the like.

Last edited:

desht

Jan 30, 2013
UK
Thermal Foundation provides the ores and metals; Thermal Expansion just provides a way to alloy them. I use the former to provide copper and tin for making copper and bronze tools, and am seeking a way to drop the requirement for Tinker's Construct without adding mods that upstage RoC. (Right now, I need an alternate way to change pickaxe harvest levels, and a way to alloy bronze without all the above-mentioned mods; the first, I have a line on another mod that may work, but for alloying, I'm still looking)

And oredicting canola to be made into vegetable oil? Yes? No? Go take a long walk off a short pier, Reteo?
Actually, a friend of mine and myself are in a somewhat similar situation: we're playing on a private custom modpack which is heavily RotaryCraft dominated but we do have Thermal Dynamics (but not Thermal Expansion) as a means of item transfer.

Since we also have AE, the grindstone does allow us to make bronze/invar/electrum etc. manually, but that won't be an option if/when we want to produce those alloys automatically. Note that invar & electrum are needed for some of the more advanced Thermal Dynamics servos and filters, and bronze is handy for tools & armour early on to save on iron (which RoC needs lots of).

What we're doing is very much an edge case, I appreciate, but it's a use case for allowing the flakes to be crafted into alloy blends.

desht

Jan 30, 2013
UK
It occurred to me that when a player is sucked into a Gas Turbine, there should be a chance of their player head being spat out the other end of the turbine at some velocity...

Reactions: Celestialphoenix

reteo

Jul 29, 2019
Tinker's Construct has effectively dropped support for 1.7.10 (they will only fix major issues). I want to have a replacement progression in place before it no longer works.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
After the rebalancing in v8, am I still supposed to be able to go DC engine -> gasoline engine -> microturbine -> gas turbine, without strictly having to use any of the intermediary engines? To be clear, I've already done this, it just strikes me as a bit odd that the performance engine is extractor gated when you can skip it altogether until sintered tungsten.
How did you run the pulse jet?

Also, I noticed a peculiarity with the blast furnace: heating one with lava will get it to ~600-630c, depending on ambient of course, but adding an additional netherrack fire will heat it another 200 degrees to ~800-830c.
Are there any gating recipes in the 650-830C range?

EDIT: This may or may not be your fault, but sorting through blast furnace recipes for bedrock dust in NEI, going through the TiCon recipes causes a client crash when it reaches and attempts to display invalid recipes for bedrock bowstrings and fletching and the like.
This is fixed for v9c.

Actually, a friend of mine and myself are in a somewhat similar situation: we're playing on a private custom modpack which is heavily RotaryCraft dominated but we do have Thermal Dynamics (but not Thermal Expansion) as a means of item transfer.

Since we also have AE, the grindstone does allow us to make bronze/invar/electrum etc. manually, but that won't be an option if/when we want to produce those alloys automatically. Note that invar & electrum are needed for some of the more advanced Thermal Dynamics servos and filters, and bronze is handy for tools & armour early on to save on iron (which RoC needs lots of).

What we're doing is very much an edge case, I appreciate, but it's a use case for allowing the flakes to be crafted into alloy blends.
My concern with this is that it makes flakes act much like dusts. Then the very next thing that is going to happen is that people ask for the flakes to be OreDictionaried as dusts. Which I tried and introduced a severe duplication exploit.

For what use?

reteo

Jul 29, 2019
For the flakes, fair enough. Perhaps introduce a different mechanic? As I recall, you use the blast furnace to form spring steel and bedrock ingots, could this not be expanded to handle other forms of alloy? This way, there won't be any talk of dusts.

As for the canola oil recipe, it just makes sense. I mean, canola oil is a thing. And since the modpack uses both Spice of Life and Hunger Overhaul, an extra source of cooking oil would not be a bad thing. Keep in mind, you won't need to do anything, I'd be using MineTweaker for this (and updating the modifications file). And I rather doubt RoC uses Vegan Option vegetable oil as lubricant.

Last edited:

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
2 gasoline engines, a junction and a handful of diamond gearboxes (conveniently, one only needs an extra 2:1 gearbox to re-use them for a bedrock breaker later).
Hm...

As for the canola oil recipe, it just makes sense. I mean, canola oil is a thing. And since the modpack uses both Spice of Life and Hunger Overhaul, an extra source of cooking oil would not be a bad thing. Keep in mind, you won't need to do anything, I'd be using MineTweaker for this (and updating the modifications file). And I rather doubt RoC uses Vegan Option vegetable oil as lubricant.
The grinder can only make one fluid...

reteo

Jul 29, 2019
Ah. I wasn't referring to a grinder recipe; vegetable oil is an item, not a fluid (actually, it can be, but the recipe I intend is not). I intend to make a shapeless crafting recipe using 1 canola, Pam's juicer or an iron pressure plate, and a glass bottle to make 1 vegetable oil (with a dense canola and 7 bottles, 7 oil, unless I can stack the bottles for the full 9).

That's why I'm looking for permission, not any changes to your code (for the oil, at least); this can be done with MineTweaker.

Last edited:

EyeDeck

Apr 16, 2013
I noticed today that ECUs attached to microturbines behave a bit counterintuitively. At 6.25% they increase fuel consumption per watt-hour to 200%, at 25% it goes up to 400%, 50% is 200% again, then only at 100% speed is fuel consumption at its lowest of 100%. Should 25%, 50% and 100% all consume the same amount of fuel per tick? I recall the ECU used to be absurdly efficient before the nerf from some months ago, but is slowing down a turbine really that inefficient?

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I noticed today that ECUs attached to microturbines behave a bit counterintuitively. At 6.25% they increase fuel consumption per watt-hour to 200%, at 25% it goes up to 400%, 50% is 200% again, then only at 100% speed is fuel consumption at its lowest of 100%. Should 25%, 50% and 100% all consume the same amount of fuel per tick? I recall the ECU used to be absurdly efficient before the nerf from some months ago, but is slowing down a turbine really that inefficient?
Yes.

Ah. I wasn't referring to a grinder recipe; vegetable oil is an item, not a fluid (actually, it can be, but the recipe I intend is not). I intend to make a shapeless crafting recipe using 1 canola, Pam's juicer or an iron pressure plate, and a glass bottle to make 1 vegetable oil (with a dense canola and 7 bottles, 7 oil, unless I can stack the bottles for the full 9).

That's why I'm looking for permission, not any changes to your code (for the oil, at least); this can be done with MineTweaker.

I have no restrictions for recipes using my items, so long as the other mod allows it.

reteo

Jul 29, 2019
I have no restrictions for recipes using my items, so long as the other mod allows it.

Fair enough. Also, for full disclosure, I should add that doing this might involve oredicting canola seeds as 'sourceVegetableOil', thereby adding them to the existing vegetable oil recipe. I can skip the oredict and just make a recipe, but this would be a cleaner overall method.

Last edited:

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Fair enough. Also, for full disclosure, I should add that doing this might involve oredicting canola seeds as 'sourceVegetableOil', thereby adding them to the existing vegetable oil recipe. I can skip the oredict and just make a recipe, but this would be a cleaner overall method.
I do not restrict that either, though it does open up unificator exploits...

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
Reika: I've been thinking about the charge for the Toroids, and how very little power is needed.

Now, if I got everything right ( unlikely, but it's at least a starting point, lol ), then a minimum required charge of 100,000 on a Toroid should result in a required power of just under 65 KW per toroid. Still very doable for "free", but requiring considerably more effort, and would be more realistic. It's also a super easy tweak:

https://github.com/ReikaKalseki/Rea...leEntities/Fusion/TileEntityToroidMagnet.java

Line 325:
Code:
        if (charge <= 0)
to
Code:
        if (charge <= 100000)

Additionally: The majority of the people that wouldn't read this change and would complain about it...are already vastly over-powering their toroids anyways, and wouldn't notice a difference.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Reika: I've been thinking about the charge for the Toroids, and how very little power is needed.

Now, if I got everything right ( unlikely, but it's at least a starting point, lol ), then a minimum required charge of 100,000 on a Toroid should result in a required power of just under 65 KW per toroid. Still very doable for "free", but requiring considerably more effort, and would be more realistic. It's also a super easy tweak:

https://github.com/ReikaKalseki/Rea...leEntities/Fusion/TileEntityToroidMagnet.java

Line 325:
Code:
        if (charge <= 0)
to
Code:
        if (charge <= 100000)

Additionally: The majority of the people that wouldn't read this change and would complain about it...are already vastly over-powering their toroids anyways, and wouldn't notice a difference.
I get the feeling that 100K is quite large...