Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

APproject

Jul 29, 2019
That's great news. I had over 200MW of energy being wasted from my battery. This should give me ways of using that power.

MongrelVigor

Jul 29, 2019
Done.

It whatever speed sets the per-tick operational time to zero, doubling the speed adds So, for example, 8 operations per tick needs 2^8=256x the speed of the "threshold".

So 256 machines dividing power could do 32x as much as one machine pumped full of power? If I've understood you, it seems we're put in a situation where we still have to spam machines, or else use our power very inefficiently?

Oh, sure, version seven, groovy, thanks

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
So 256 machines dividing power could do 32x as much as one machine pumped full of power? If I've understood you, it seems we're put in a situation where we still have to spam machines, or else use our power very inefficiently?

Oh, sure, version seven, groovy, thanks
That's what people are asking for, yes. On the other hand, you're using your space and resources efficiently.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Did you mean to say space or resources?
Nope, but I should have clarified the difference between energy resources and, say, steel. Its more efficient in steel (a single machine vs 256) but less efficient in energy (as you pointed out)

Just to be clear: Reika nailed what I call fundamental game design here. Its the difference between an "overclock" and an "upgrade."

Following the principal "better is better", the players here only requested an overclock. Which means its pretty legit that it runs faster but less efficiently.

On the other hand a subsequent fair request might be "But I want a grinder that runs MORE efficiently at high speeds" and the answer would be something like a "bedrock alloy grinder", or a bedrock alloy attachment for the existing grinder, or some such. That would be a tiered upgrade and it it would make sense for it to be overall, in every way, superior.

MongrelVigor

Jul 29, 2019
Personally I wasn't hoping for it to run more efficiently or less efficiently. Not an overclock or an upgrade, more of a "5+5 = 10" The idea of putting much of an HP turbine into a single extractor, and watching it produce insanely fast is exciting, but I think it will be less enjoyable when you're aware that it's extremely wasteful.

But of course if you're quite sure that most people wanted a lessening of efficiency I wouldn't argue with you, and more importantly it's Reika's BBQ, I just wanted to cast my vote for a style of gameplay where you don't miss out because you didn't spam machines.

....Having said that, I'm pretty happy with my survival mode 200 PBRs vertically stacked :). Then again such things are probably not CPU or bandwidth friendly. Though I keep getting that darn language null error.

wdVy2zJ.png

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Personally I wasn't hoping for it to run more efficiently or less efficiently. Not an overclock or an upgrade, more of a "5+5 = 10" The idea of putting much of an HP turbine into a single extractor, and watching it produce insanely fast is exciting, but I think it will be less enjoyable when you're aware that it's extremely wasteful.

But of course if you're quite sure that most people wanted a lessening of efficiency I wouldn't argue with you, and more importantly it's Reika's BBQ, I just wanted to cast my vote for a style of gameplay where you don't miss out because you didn't spam machines.

....Having said that, I'm pretty happy with my survival mode 200 PBRs vertically stacked :). Then again such things are probably not CPU or bandwidth friendly. Though I keep getting that darn language null error.
Hah awesome PBR tower :)

Funny you give your 5+5=10 example, that's the philosophy driving Thermal Expansion which I see you're using :p

I agree regarding waste: inefficiency drives me nuts, and I probably wouldn't take advantage of this addition myself. But for some people its helpful.

MongrelVigor

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you :) . Speaking of efficiency, I saw earlier in this thread that someone floated the idea of an upgraded, wider boring machine. Reika seemed to be somewhat interested. I have crazy thoughts about a network of (or better still 1 giant) boring machine(s) that go from surface to bedrock, and are 31 spaces wide, that way no matter where they're positioned they don't exceed two chunks....they'd sweep 31/16 of a chunk clean :)

dozbot

Jul 29, 2019
Reika is it intentional when you touch a magnetized containment pipe that has plasma inside, it deals damage to you and then breaches, turning into lava? Just had the IRL shock of a life time when I was building around my pipes :D

As usual skimping on power caused it:D

Last edited:

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
Reika is it intentional when you touch a magnetized containment pipe that has plasma inside, it deals damage to you and then breaches, turning into lava? Just had the IRL shock of a life time when I was building around my pipes :D

Yes, you grounded the pipe. It doesn't matter how much power you try to pump into them, that can still happen. I recommend finding something to encase them in. My personal preference is Iron Bars, but you can still fall in the gaps if you're unlucky. However, it also looks pretty nice and lets you still see into the conduits.

Reactions: Reika

EyeDeck

Apr 16, 2013

They used to be walkable in 1.6.4 and, I think, 1.7.10 v1. I recall on the first tokamak I built, the structure encasing the tokamak proper in steel and blast glass was built one block lower than I meant it to be, and one of the stairs leading up on top of it unintentionally incorporated a magnetic containment pipe as one of the steps. That staircase always made me very uncomfortable.

Keep in mind that any entity touching a magnetized containment pipe - player, mob, item, arrow - will melt it. If there isn't yet any plasma in the pipe, they won't melt, but they'll still cause damage to entities and destroy items like a cactus.

I recommend fully encasing them in glass microblock covers or the like.

On a somewhat related note, I found out yesterday what happens to a high pressure turbine if something touches the blades these days. Lucky for me it only happened to an incomplete 1-stage turbine.

Last edited:
Reactions: ljfa

1M Industries

Jul 29, 2019
Done.

It continues the logarithmic trend; for whatever speed sets the per-tick operational time to zero, doubling the speed adds one operation per tick. So, for example, 8 operations per tick needs 2^8=256x the speed of the "threshold". That adds up very quickly.

Supported machines:
  • Grinder
  • Extractor
  • Crystallizer
  • Centrifuge
  • Refrigerator
  • Compactor
  • Fermenter
  • Obsidian Factory
  • Grindstone
  • Fractionator
The borer is not supported because of the worldgen lag it would cause (and can easily be stacked in parallel), and the bedrock breaker because as it is 1 operation a tick requires 17GW of power.
MWAHAHAHAHAHH!!! ITS OVER 9000(Operations per tick)!!!! Now I don't have to joke about putting a fusion reactor into an extractor, I can do it....

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Someone just reported a crash from using v14 (released November 2013) with ElC v25z...I am not sure what bothers me more, that someone made such an error, or that someone is still using v14, which predates even most FTB packs....

Reactions: JoshBogs

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Bigger boring machine you say? "Yes please" says I! Although I'd probably parallelize anyway, I prefer eating wider swaths of terrain to deeper swaths of terrain, and once you get to a certain point you run into a lot of inventory management issues simply trying to get the items OUT of the boring machine and do something with them.

Wonder if PE's condenser can actually handle being stuffed full of cobble like AetherCraft could. Honestly I just condense the stuff before I do anything with it. I'm a horrible MC packrat. Trash cans and void pipes always make me feel dirty. But oddly I'm not opposed to wasting POWER... well via an inefficient utilization and past early game perdition is ok; I have always-on power generation by that point, and multiple processes that are utilizing power constantly. Perdition doesn't bother me in the slightest because I basically can't notice it. I hate power loss via transport (intentional or unintentional, from mechanics or poor engineering) with a burning passion though. I dealt with it way back in IndustrialCraft, but I sure as heck never liked it. Realism in power transport be damned. Distance-based loss is evil to me.

That got side-tracked fast...

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Bigger boring machine you say? "Yes please" says I! Although I'd probably parallelize anyway, I prefer eating wider swaths of terrain to deeper swaths of terrain, and once you get to a certain point you run into a lot of inventory management issues simply trying to get the items OUT of the boring machine and do something with them.

Wonder if PE's condenser can actually handle being stuffed full of cobble like AetherCraft could. Honestly I just condense the stuff before I do anything with it. I'm a horrible MC packrat. Trash cans and void pipes always make me feel dirty. But oddly I'm not opposed to wasting POWER... well via an inefficient utilization and past early game perdition is ok; I have always-on power generation by that point, and multiple processes that are utilizing power constantly. Perdition doesn't bother me in the slightest because I basically can't notice it. I hate power loss via transport (intentional or unintentional, from mechanics or poor engineering) with a burning passion though. I dealt with it way back in IndustrialCraft, but I sure as heck never liked it. Realism in power transport be damned. Distance-based loss is evil to me.

That got side-tracked fast...

Logistics pipes to the rescue!

Reactions: Celestialphoenix