Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

fredfredburger

Jul 29, 2019
Electricraft is tremendously useful with Rotarycraft and for the most part, it's pretty simple to figure out by screwing around in creative. The only thing I really wish was listed somewhere was the resistor codes. Here is an explanation of resistors by @Pyure that gets into the color codes. Be warned though, resistors should ONLY be used to divide power unevenly between multiple machines. For example, to give a motor powering a fermenter a small amount of power while the rest goes to a motor powering a grinder. You shouldn't use them to directly limit output from a battery as pictured in that guide. There's a glitch (intended?) where the resistor allows only the rated current through, but the battery is outputting the full current. The result is the remaining current being wasted. An ideal configuration would have a large storage battery feeding several smaller batteries which are sized so their output powers correspond to the amount needed for the machines they're supplying. Clear as mud, I know. I'll see if I can put up some examples to help clarify and establish some guidelines.

To anyone else who wants to test the resistor losses, have a low-end battery discharging to a motor and another doing the same but through a resistor set to 1A. They both take the same amount of time to discharge but the motor w/ resistor delivers less power during that time.

Last edited:

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Electricraft is tremendously useful with Rotarycraft and for the most part, it's pretty simple to figure out by screwing around in creative. The only thing I really wish was listed somewhere was the resistor codes. Here is an explanation of resistors by @Pyure that gets into the color codes. Be warned though, resistors should ONLY be used to divide power unevenly between multiple machines. For example, to give a motor powering a fermenter a small amount of power while the rest goes to a motor powering a grinder. You shouldn't use them to directly limit output from a battery as pictured in that guide..
I swear this used to work correctly...

I forgot about that guide :)

fredfredburger

Jul 29, 2019
In the typical implementation it's not a problem. If you have generators powered by some power source feeding to a single line which you then use to power all your machinery, you probably have some machine which can use the excess power like a boring machine or something. It gets to be a problem when you use batteries throughout as a means of stepping down the power. If you have a HP turbine powering a generator, you can limit it to 1A but you still have a very high voltage and therefore very high power. Transformers are far too lossy in their current implementation so even resistor losses w/ batteries is preferrable.

JohnOC

Jul 29, 2019
Its a usable approximation of how electricity works. In a series circuit of a resistor and a load the load will get less power than in the same circuit with no resistor. The 'lost' power becomes heat in the resistor.
Its less math this way to use a resistor to set the max current a load can receive, rather than needing to calculate the resistance value needed to limit current as you desire.. plus you don't need to know (and Reika doesn't need to set) resistance values of any machine that draws electric power.
If Electricraft were to use a model as faithful to reality as RotaryCraft and ReactorCraft do.. I don't think I'd want to play it.. even though I have the degree in electrical engineering I'd need to do so..

Reactions: abculatter_2

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
If Electricraft were to use a model as faithful to reality as RotaryCraft and ReactorCraft do.. I don't think I'd want to play it.. even though I have the degree in electrical engineering I'd need to do so..
I said as much in response to KingLemming. :p
ElectriCraft had to take liberties with the physics of electricity, because the original realistic model (involving Kirchoff's, Ohm's, and Faraday's laws) did not translate well into the fixed-torque, fixed-speed shaft power system, was incredibly unintuitive to use ("I added another generator, why is the current here LESS?!"), carried severe computational overhead (though calculation was, as it is now, only done on changing network topology or power input), and was a nightmare to debug for someone whose understanding of electrical physics is limited to some university courses.

Reactions: abculatter_2

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a situation where ammonia steam blocks can overwrite each other? I just converted to ammonia and full recycling yet I keep losing ammonia.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
I think I mentioned earlier, I had trouble maintaining a closed loop with ammonia.

(Just as a supportive fyi)

So I believe this is an issue of steam blocks overwriting each other as they whizz around because at one point I messed up and my condenser filled. The room below it did not fill will steam blocks. When I finally cleared my error, I got back a fraction of my total ammonia.

This makes me wonder if a rising ammonia steam block will overwrite the one above it. It's not a large loss, just consistent. I think I'll make many more condensers and try to eliminate any chance of movement.

On this same topic with HP turbines, as I understand it the ammonia steam leaves from the top. Can I place a condensor touching the top of the HP turbine, or do I have to allow a space for the block of steam to be created before it is absorbed?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
So I believe this is an issue of steam blocks overwriting each other as they whizz around because at one point I messed up and my condenser filled. The room below it did not fill will steam blocks. When I finally cleared my error, I got back a fraction of my total ammonia.

This makes me wonder if a rising ammonia steam block will overwrite the one above it. It's not a large loss, just consistent. I think I'll make many more condensers and try to eliminate any chance of movement.

On this same topic with HP turbines, as I understand it the ammonia steam leaves from the top. Can I place a condensor touching the top of the HP turbine, or do I have to allow a space for the block of steam to be created before it is absorbed?
depending where exactly you put it, you run the risk of the block getting deleted. Lot of people place a block to delete water-steam.

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019

HPTs don't release steam, they drip a low pressure fluid. You need reservoirs or bc tanks under the front 2 stages, the full width of the stage, to catch the LP fluid. You then need to pump the fluid out and compress it back to normal.

Looking at the code, this should actually create more fluid than than there was, but last time I tried it, I lost a lot. So, either it's changed, or I need to look over the code more carefully:)

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
depending where exactly you put it, you run the risk of the block getting deleted. Lot of people place a block to delete water-steam.

The front of my turbine is open to release the steam blocks. I just put one condenser on each side of the shaft coming out, that's getting most of it.

Also it appears that with the HP turbine you put a reservoir near the rear to collect the ammonia.

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
You actually want them under the last stage and one block "further".

That makes more sense:) Instead of it leaking out between the last 2 stages, it's just getting thrown a little further out.

Yea, like I said though, it was just a quick look, and I didn't verify the amount of steam being consumed to create the LP fluid.

Can you verify the intent? Should it be lossy, or possible to reclaim 100%?

You could probably correct my thoughts on the code too.

From the HPT TE starting at line 152:

Code:
for (int d = 0; d <= 1; d++) {
for (int i = -th; i <= th; i++) {

The first for loop is for the 2 rows where the LP fluid drips ( So last stage and 1 further ), the second is for the width of the rows.

Stage 7 has a radius of 4.

Code:
int tx = x+dir.offsetX*i+s.offsetX*d;
int tz = z+dir.offsetZ*i+s.offsetZ*d;

This is one of the parts I didn't really look into. I think it's just correcting for the direction the HPT is facing, and using the i from the for loop, iterating along each of the reservoirs.

Then we have:

Code:
FluidStack fs = new FluidStack(fluid.getLowPressureFluid(), TileEntityReactorBoiler.WATER_PER_STEAM/12);

Which creates a new fluid stack of the specific fluid with an amount equal to WATER_PER_STEAM/12, which is 200/12 or 16.666...

Now, I believe the amount is an int, so that would get truncated to 16.

This is then added 1 by 1 to each of the reservoirs, which with a radius of 4 ( so 8 per row ), and 2 rows, that would be 16.

So, 1 iteration would net 256 fluid, but judging by the 200 water per steam, we only had 200 to create that 256.

I know I should have looked deeper into the code, but I have a long ways to go learning Java, and your code is often like a rabbit hole. A very impressive one, and appears rather flexible...but very disorienting for a novice such as myself, hehe.

Reactions: frogfigther