Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
It is not a "Win Button", as in sandbox games, the goal is whatever you make it. It could be a win button, or a help button, or even the goal in itself.
And, critically, it's virtually always there, whatever that goal is.

There's a reason creative mode isn't the default mode.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
ould some of the simpler machines have tiers of wood/stone/steel? Like the grinder, wood cutter, and fan?
I really do not want to go near the complexity that would add.

There's a reason creative mode isn't the default mode.
Minecraft has no goal; it is entirely proscribed by the player. Thus, there is no such thing as a win button, since no matter what it does, 95% of people will find it either useless or not worth the time/cost.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
I just found out to my surprise that you can't pack the Reactorcraft waste storage unit (not the drum) in ice instead of water. I thought it would work better or melt it to form the pond.

Reactions: madnewmy

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I really do not want to go near the complexity that would add.
Minecraft has no goal; it is entirely proscribed by the player. Thus, there is no such thing as a win button, since no matter what it does, 95% of people will find it either useless or not worth the time/cost.

Silliness.

It is not a "Win Button", as in sandbox games, the goal is whatever you make it...

Even in a sandbox I like to see how high I can build my sand castles.

Reactions: YX33A

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
But that goal does not have to be relevant to the bedrock pick.
None of my posts do :)

In arguing the nature of sandbox goals, I'm not picking out any particular mod or part of a mod as imbalanced. Merely pointing out that humans don't play without setting themselves goals.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
None of my posts do :)

In arguing the nature of sandbox goals, I'm not picking out any particular mod or part of a mod as imbalanced. Merely pointing out that humans don't play without setting themselves goals.
And my point is that it is impossible to make a win button as it is defined, as those goals differ wildly.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
And my point is that it is impossible to make a win button as it is defined, as those goals differ wildly.
Review that logically.

If me and 99 other wacky kids are making various things in the sand, and someone brings in a big plastic, sand-hardening castle-cast that facilitates 7-foot tall mega-complexes, its going to be a win-button for a fairly large proportion of us.

Such a thing cannot be proven to be impossible; its possible by default. At best, it can only be unlikely. Therefore, a mod that creates 2 bread instead of 1 for standard wheat-recipe is unlikely to annoy anyone (besides JadedCat), whereas a modded-shovel that, say, insta-quarries 70 levels deep and places everything into a chest beside you has a very-high likelihood of being considered a win button by any given player.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Review that logically.

If me and 99 other wacky kids are making various things in the sand, and someone brings in a big plastic, sand-hardening castle-cast that facilitates 7-foot tall mega-complexes, its going to be a win-button for a fairly large proportion of us.

Such a thing cannot be proven to be impossible; its possible by default. At best, it can only be unlikely. Therefore, a mod that creates 2 bread instead of 1 for standard wheat-recipe is unlikely to annoy anyone (besides JadedCat), whereas a modded-shovel that, say, insta-quarries 70 levels deep and places everything into a chest beside you has a very-high likelihood of being considered a win button by any given player.
Only if you want to use it. Nothing's forcing you to use it.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Only if you want to use it. Nothing's forcing you to use it.
Agreed. But do you enjoy playing games where you can literally win at any time by taking an action?

There's been studies done on this. Separate a crowd into two groups and have them play the same game, but with one minor adjustment: in one group, they're "secretly" told that they can skip to the end of the game at any time by pressing a special combination of button/key presses.

The group who doesn't get this inside track enjoys the game for far longer.

The "choice" is irrelevant, because the "challenge" is lacking if you already know you can easily overcome it at any time. And the easier it is to make that choice (pressing buttons versus, say, editing a save-game via a hex editor) the more that gap becomes apparent.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Then my zombie apocalypse server must be mana from heaven. I'm even thinking about how to make it harder!

Regarding the original thread for RoC suggestions, can the spent waste container be made to vertically stack like the other ReC components? I'm making a deep pool, and it I could top fill that's be awesome.

Also we have liquid nitrogen for Electricraft, is there a way that could be applied to RoC or ReC? Maybe for cooling the waste containers, or some kind of cryogenic freezing (steel tempering?).

Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Regarding the original thread for RoC suggestions, can the spent waste container be made to vertically stack like the other ReC components? I'm making a deep pool, and it I could top fill that's be awesome.
This would be really handy, but I wonder if waste containers are compartmentalized for a reason?

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Then my zombie apocalypse server must be mana from heaven. I'm even thinking about how to make it harder!

I can look into this, assuming the cooling algorithms do not interfere.

Also we have liquid nitrogen for Electricraft, is there a way that could be applied to RoC or ReC? Maybe for cooling the waste containers, or some kind of cryogenic freezing (steel tempering?).
Liquid nitrogen has a low heat capacity; it is a poor coolant for preventing overheating, and is only useful when you need to keep something very cold.

Scott DTA

Jul 29, 2019
Don't know, was just being silly.

On a more serious note, maybe a coil powered set of carts for item and fluid transport. Since carts can use portals, would provide a round about way to transport stuff across dimensions for Roc.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Don't know, was just being silly.

On a more serious note, maybe a coil powered set of carts for item and fluid transport. Since carts can use portals, would provide a round about way to transport stuff across dimensions for Roc.
There is already a gas-engine minecart, though it has a tendency to fly off the tracks.