Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
If it will lead to stable/consistent power output rather than the fluctuations they currently experience, then yes.
Very much this. If it's just to add difficulty/add another step to the process, then I vote no. But if there is an advantage to using lubricant, then I will vote yes.

Reactions: YX33A and Kirameki

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
Very much this. If it's just to add difficulty/add another step to the process, then I vote no. But if there is an advantage to using lubricant, then I will vote yes.
Exactly. It would make sense too; without lubricant you can't expect a machine to function efficiently. But add some, and it should drastically improve the performance.

Last edited:
Reactions: YX33A

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
If it will lead to stable/consistent power output rather than the fluctuations they currently experience, then yes.
The two ideas are not really connected at all :p

Having said that, I'd definitely also love to see the turbine generate stable power similar to the HP, but I file it under "whatever."

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
But, but, bedrock flywheels.
I'll be honest: from a programming standpoint, flywheels freak me out. I wouldn't want to code one, as a small mistake can create all kinds of exploits, and there's a million places you can screw with one.

Therefore I never recommend implementing them :p

having said THAT: yeah, sounds coo :)

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
I'll be honest: from a programming standpoint, flywheels freak me out. I wouldn't want to code one, as a small mistake can create all kinds of exploits, and there's a million places you can screw with one.

I'm not anti-flywheel either, the rumbling sound they make is pretty cool. Honestly I have to give Reika props for the audio in RoC/ReC; it makes a factory/power plant actually *SOUND* like one unlike most mods out there.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
But, but, bedrock flywheels.

Flywheels have been the source of numerous exploits in the past, and for that reason I do not at all want to go near them.

The two ideas are not really connected at all :p

Having said that, I'd definitely also love to see the turbine generate stable power similar to the HP, but I file it under "whatever."
The variability in turbine torque output is a function of how it works "behind the scenes". This is not something I put in deliberately, and it is something that will never change, lubricant or not.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Flywheels have been the source of numerous exploits in the past, and for that reason I do not at all want to go near them.

Vindication.

Curious: Is there such a thing as a gizmo (non-electronics) that will only output a constant power if its minimum power requirement is met?

Say I set it to 900MW; if the turbine consistently provides > 900MW(fluctuating), and I'm willing to accept lossiness, could I get constant 900MW?

Or have I simply described another flywheel?

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
Vindication.

Curious: Is there such a thing as a gizmo (non-electronics) that will only output a constant power if its minimum power requirement is met?

Say I set it to 900MW; if the turbine consistently provides > 900MW(fluctuating), and I'm willing to accept lossiness, could I get constant 900MW?

/me love this idea

Reactions: Padfoote

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
Vindication.

After a quick web search there exists a device called a torque limiter/overload clutch to limit torque to a set level to avoid damage to attached devices, maybe that would work?

Reactions: YX33A and Pyure

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Vindication.

Such devices are possible, but you would be losing a rather large amount of power.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
There could be many kinds of torque limiter.

That said, I think you can just dump all the power into Electricraft batteries and call it constant output. They have variable input, fixed output. Yes you might have issues with a complex net of wiring, but if you connect straight into the battery for each turbine, I don't see why that would be an issue.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com

That said, I think you can just dump all the power into Electricraft batteries and call it constant output. They have variable input, fixed output. Yes you might have issues with a complex net of wiring, but if you connect straight into the battery for each turbine, I don't see why that would be an issue.
Because constantly updating the power input forces ElectriCraft wires to constantly remap the network. This has significant computational load.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario

Since the turbine's speeds are constant, you can still shaft-and-junction all your turbine output into a single generator-to-battery, rather than multiple batteries for each turbine.

This holds true for the HP turbines as well: They spin precisely 2x as fast as the small turbine, requiring a simple gearbox to convert.

This is how I manage my turbine room.[DOUBLEPOST=1404352859][/DOUBLEPOST]Knew I had a screenshot of this somewhere.

Note the lazy small/small/large/small arrangement connected by shafts.

Not pictured: Converting to electricraft behind camera.

2014-06-22_00.45.19.jpg

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Because constantly updating the power input forces ElectriCraft wires to constantly remap the network. This has significant computational load.

In the interests of performance, would you be willing to alter the mechanic so that power-input changes raise a "needs-remapping" flag, and only do an actual re-map once per X seconds (1 or whatever)

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
In the interests of performance, would you be willing to alter the mechanic so that power-input changes raise a "needs-remapping" flag, and only do an actual re-map once per X seconds (1 or whatever)
This is not possible. The network caches all point voltages and currents to help performance, and any time the power input changes, those caches must be recalculated. There is no way around this.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019

A wire network of length 1? If the turbine connects directly to a generator dumping into a battery should require little time. Perhaps you can skip the wire between generator and battery, I'd have to test.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
This is not possible. The network caches all point voltages and currents to help performance, and any time the power input changes, those caches must be recalculated. There is no way around this.

I'm just wondering at the positive and negative impact if you update the caches less often :)

The trade-off is (very brief) loss of accuracy of power transmission. The benefit? Possibly improving the playability of the mod.