Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I'm just wondering, is it a bug that Railcraft coke doesn't work in blast furnaces?
gwb.jpg

Reactions: YX33A and Wagon153

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Suggestion: move bedrock tools out of rotarycraft into their own mod. I like the rotary craft energy system. These cheaty items detract from what is otherwise a mod that implements a fantastic, physics based, power system.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Suggestion: move bedrock tools out of rotarycraft into their own mod. I like the rotary craft energy system. These cheaty items detract from what is otherwise a mod that implements a fantastic, physics based, power system.
I kinda agree except that they're dependant on RotaryCraft (to get the dust)

I guess that's true of many of the mods though.

So I just 100% agree.

edit: if you're not on a server, you can just minetweak them out.

Reactions: YX33A

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
The bedrock tools are in fact the first thing added to RotaryCraft, and led to its creation by way of necessitating the bedrock breaker and an engine (which would later become the DC engine), as well as the beginnings of the power system.
Also, define "cheaty".

If you mean overpowered:
You have not tried half the machines. Also, my design philosophy is such that nothing is inherently overpowered. Yes, "overpowered" is a real concept - contrary to what some say - but it is about something being too powerful for the amount of work/effort/cost required to get it. Make it expensive and difficult enough, and even WorldEdit and command-line capabilities could theoretically be made not overpowered. Seeing as bedrock takes so much effort to get, to the extent that most of those playing packs with RC do not even try to get the tools, it fits well with this design.

If you mean nonsensical or unrealistic:
In-universe, bedrock blocks are in fact a composite of stone and bedrock dust, the latter of which makes the stone so tough and hard it is impervious to pickaxes and explosions. Grinding away the stone leaves the dust which can be diffused into some other material. Doing it into steel yields a steel alloy with bedrock, with the bedrock dust doing the same to steel as it does to stone - making it the strongest and hardest material in the game. There is nothing inherently unrealistic or nonsensical about it aside from the fact that this hypothetical dust is fictional. So is half the game world; concessions must be made.
Put more succinctly, I inject real-world physics where the game does not already supply its own. So in the MC universe, blocks float, mobs exist, bedrock is unbreakable, portals are stable wormholes, and the like. It however does not say anything about things like power, heat, and more conventional physics, so I am free to use real-world laws. And of course everything must bend to what the game engine supports, which may not be within the bounds of reality.

You may also like knowing of a change in v25 that I announced on my thread some time ago - all bedrock-related crafting is now an "alloying" process of sorts. Each recipe has a required temperature (1000C for most bedrock crafting, and 1800C for the Tier 5 upgrade).
U6icas1.png

P562n7E.png

Doubt it. Reika's a little nerf-happy at times.
This has nothing to do with nerfing and is about cross-mod "how I can be sure this is the same item". This is also why I tend to avoid the ore dictionary in many cases. I have seen too many instances of some mod adding "derp item X" under some OreDictionary name reserved for something concrete, and suddenly you have Bronze being made of "Sheep Ingots" and "Mystic Dust".

Last edited:

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Be that as it may, they no longer fit into the spirit of the mod they spawned (in my subjective opinion).
And I don't think that "effort" is suitable as a balance for any power.
The tools, with their non durability and implicit enchantments are simply too good for certain games, in which case making the recipes more tiresome is not appropriate, and in games where "easy" access to creative mode capabilities is desired, the recipes are too damned hard.
If they were standalone, the recipes could be kept convenient for those that want to allow the use of those tools, and it would be easy to exclude them in packs where they are not desired, but a good power system is. Also, instead of being an appendix to what is now a large tech mod, the consequences of magical-bedrock tools could be expanded upon without unbalancing rotarycraft.

As has been pointed out however, I can just disable them with minetweaker...

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
The bedrock tools are in fact the first thing added to RotaryCraft, and led to its creation by way of necessitating the bedrock breaker and an engine (which would later become the DC engine), as well as the beginnings of the power system.
Also, define "cheaty".

If you mean overpowered:
You have not tried half the machines. Also, my design philosophy is such that nothing is inherently overpowered. Yes, "overpowered" is a real concept - contrary to what some say - but it is about something being too powerful for the amount of work/effort/cost required to get it. Make it expensive and difficult enough, and even WorldEdit and command-line capabilities could theoretically be made not overpowered. Seeing as bedrock takes so much effort to get, to the extent that most of those playing packs with RC do not even try to get the tools, it fits well with this design.

If you mean nonsensical or unrealistic:
In-universe, bedrock blocks are in fact a composite of stone and bedrock dust, the latter of which makes the stone so tough and hard it is impervious to pickaxes and explosions. Grinding away the stone leaves the dust which can be diffused into some other material. Doing it into steel yields a steel alloy with bedrock, with the bedrock dust doing the same to steel as it does to stone - making it the strongest and hardest material in the game. There is nothing inherently unrealistic or nonsensical about it aside from the fact that this hypothetical dust is fictional. So is half the game world; concessions must be made.
Put more succinctly, I inject real-world physics where the game does not already supply its own. So in the MC universe, blocks float, mobs exist, bedrock is unbreakable, portals are stable wormholes, and the like. It however does not say anything about things like power, heat, and more conventional physics, so I am free to use real-world laws. And of course everything must bend to what the game engine supports, which may not be within the bounds of reality.

You may also like knowing of a change in v25 that I announced on my thread some time ago - all bedrock-related crafting is now an "alloying" process of sorts. Each recipe has a required temperature (1000C for most bedrock crafting, and 1800C for the Tier 5 upgrade).
U6icas1.png

P562n7E.png

This has nothing to do with nerfing and is about cross-mod "how I can be sure this is the same item". This is also why I tend to avoid the ore dictionary in many cases. I have seen too many instances of some mod adding "derp item X" under some OreDictionary name reserved for something concrete, and suddenly you have Bronze being made of "Sheep Ingots" and "Mystic Dust".
Oh, alright. Making bedrock tools through a blast furnace sounds neat, though.

Reactions: Padfoote

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Not enough modders (game designers in general) get this. At all.

Doesn't matter how hard it is to get something; if its a win-button, people will get it, and it negatively impacts the game.

Praise the minetweaker :)

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Not enough modders (game designers in general) get this. At all.

Doesn't matter how hard it is to get something; if its a win-button, people will get it, and it negatively impacts the game.

Praise the minetweaker :)
Not if the "win button" does nothing you could not already do by the time you were able to use it, only doing things faster.

Also, the entire concept of a "win" button in a sandbox game with no goals or direction is nonsensical.

The tools, with their non durability and implicit enchantments are simply too good for certain games, in which case making the recipes more tiresome is not appropriate, and in games where "easy" access to creative mode capabilities is desired, the recipes are too damned hard.
Effort and grinding are not the same thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: YX33A and Padfoote

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
I enjoy the tiered approach where you have to have sufficient amounts of effort/materials at one tier before you can advance to the next. I was thrilled when I first unlocked tungsten to make a gas turbine. I'd love to see more of that in RoC! Compared to the KAMI gear and high end Tinkers, I don't consider the bedrock gear OP.

I enjoy systems of advancement where each tier can improve prior tiers and provide new abilities. How much effort/materials is required per tier is where everyone disagrees. I would expect a significant investment in each tier to be required for the next to prevent shortcutting. For instance, I had to make jet fuel and microturbines before I could smelt tungsten.

I would argue that RoC already appeals to a player who enjoys more difficulty (torque vs plug & play RF) so I expect a bias toward difficulty and I consider that a good thing. This is the first major mod I've worked with that requires *real* thought and planning.

Keep up the good work!

1M Industries

Jul 29, 2019
I enjoy the tiered approach where you have to have sufficient amounts of effort/materials at one tier before you can advance to the next. I was thrilled when I first unlocked tungsten to make a gas turbine. I'd love to see more of that in RoC! Compared to the KAMI gear and high end Tinkers, I don't consider the bedrock gear OP.

I enjoy systems of advancement where each tier can improve prior tiers and provide new abilities. How much effort/materials is required per tier is where everyone disagrees. I would expect a significant investment in each tier to be required for the next to prevent shortcutting. For instance, I had to make jet fuel and microturbines before I could smelt tungsten.

I would argue that RoC already appeals to a player who enjoys more difficulty (torque vs plug & play RF) so I expect a bias toward difficulty and I consider that a good thing. This is the first major mod I've worked with that requires *real* thought and planning.

Keep up the good work!
First major mod besides Gregtech, and that has turned into a bunch of nerfs and grinding.

lucariomaster2

Jul 29, 2019
Doubt it. Reika's a little nerf-happy at times.

That doesn't make a lot of sense to me, considering how Rotarycraft coke (which requires a blast furnace consisting of 8 stone blocks and 1 redstone, and is made 9 at a time in less than 30 seconds) is much easier to get than Railcraft coke (which requires a coke oven consisting of >100 bricks and sand, and takes 3 minutes to make one). The only reason I'm asking in the first place is because in my current world I have a relatively large stockpile of Railcraft coke, and nothing to use it on since I have a Firestone now.

EDIT: Read Reika's response above. Disregard this post.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
I would like to find a use for the wood and stone components earlier in the game. I went straight to steel because it seemed that everything required amounts of power that made wood/stone useless.
Imagine Gilligan's Isle with coconuts, knotted rope belts for power, and wooden gears!

Let's use tungsten more often, and graphite. There could be a case for advanced ball bearings with graphite components.

Reactions: Padfoote

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I would like to find a use for the wood and stone components earlier in the game. I went straight to steel because it seemed that everything required amounts of power that made wood/stone useless.
Imagine Gilligan's Isle with coconuts, knotted rope belts for power, and wooden gears!

Let's use tungsten more often, and graphite. There could be a case for advanced ball bearings with graphite components.
Graphite is a ReactorCraft item, so it cannot be used natively by RC in any meaningful way.

Reactions: Turtles and YX33A

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
I suppose you could move it into RoC... It was an idea, graphite is often a dry lubricant.

I did like the tungsten tier. Many of the items depend on just steel in large quantities. You could likely tier things further by adding some variety that you have to build up to.

Could some of the simpler machines have tiers of wood/stone/steel? Like the grinder, wood cutter, and fan?

Reactions: YX33A

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Not if the "win button" does nothing you could not already do by the time you were able to use it, only doing things faster.

Also, the entire concept of a "win" button in a sandbox game with no goals or direction is nonsensical.
Lol. No, seriously, you're incredibly wrong. Try selling a game with that philosophy my friend :p

Reactions: Arkandos