Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
The reflectors only have a 65% chance to reflect the neutron now. You will need three layers, followed by a steel block to prevent leakage.

Supposedly a steel block is 90% effective at blocking them. So I have EIGHT steel blocks in a row and the villager still takes damage.

Multiple layers of reflectors are useless. Why would I reflect a neutron back at a reflector?

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
No. DragonAPI uses its own logic and temperature scale.
Frap frap frap frap. There goes one idea for a Jampack challenge.

... What does it trigger off of? Biome dictionary tags? Biome name? Something else? Is there any way to lie to it?

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Which is why it was implemented in the first place. Lazy/confused biome authors putting in patently ridiculous biome values.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Is there somewhere else? I always find that IRC is not conducive to a discussion, what with scheduling issues, random interjections, people playing IRC bot games, and browser crashes.
http://xchat.org/

Now your only problems should be computer crashes, internet crashes, and trying to have discussions in public rooms. That last one is easily solvable by PM.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Blah, that's what I meant. The names are too similar and I've used them both for a long period of time. I effectively just go "launch IRC" and my computer brings up IRC. I ignore which colored window it goes through as long as it works. Blame the period of months where I used 20 different clients because none of them did what I wanted all the time.

Use HexChat!

Reactions: abculatter_2

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Supposedly a steel block is 90% effective at blocking them. So I have EIGHT steel blocks in a row and the villager still takes damage.

My guess is that the absorption/reflection rates are multiplicative, instead of additive. So, using 2 steel blocks won't stop all neutrons (since, adding together yields a 180% chance of blocking), but 99% blockage (0.9 + 0.9 * [ 1 - 0.9 ]), so if you have 100 neutrons going thru 2 blocks of steel, you'll have at least one escape. If you're making a tonne of neutrons, then even a <1% chance to have a neutron escape won't stop every neutron.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
My guess is that the absorption/reflection rates are multiplicative, instead of additive. So, using 2 steel blocks won't stop all neutrons (since, adding together yields a 180% chance of blocking), but 99% blockage (0.9 + 0.9 * [ 1 - 0.9 ]), so if you have 100 neutrons going thru 2 blocks of steel, you'll have at least one escape. If you're making a tonne of neutrons, then even a <1% chance to have a neutron escape won't stop every neutron.

I found the issue was an error on my part.

I had waste that had fallen into the void, which didn't destruct and was making environmental radiation. Surprised me, I didn't realize the waste was void proof. Yes, I'm building them in creative over a giant hole in the world. After I cleaned that up the results were better.

Further testing shows that three steel blocks seems to block it all.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Aaaaaaaah. That makes sense, though it surprises me that waste doesn't bugger off once it hits the void. Would it cause background radiation problems if I used non-RoC (let's say, for instance, Ender IO or TD) transport methods to shunt the waste into an XU trash can?

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
Aaaaaaaah. That makes sense, though it surprises me that waste doesn't bugger off once it hits the void. Would it cause background radiation problems if I used non-RoC (let's say, for instance, Ender IO or TD) transport methods to shunt the waste into an XU trash can?
No, as far as I'm aware RoC is incapable of detecting when its items are deleted by other mods.
This is, however, discouraged.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
No, as far as I'm aware RoC is incapable of detecting when its items are deleted by other mods.
This is, however, discouraged.
This would be better handled by providing a better incentive to handle waste properly, rather than relying on players good natures, and in fact...it sort of is.

IIRC its been established that you can actually create power/steam from the nuclear waste.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Ah see now THAT is cool. And makes more sense than just to be able to dispose of it down a "deep, dark hole" which is what they try and do IRL, unsuccessfully.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019

It can be sent to void chests, nullifiers, etc. But that's not the way it's meant to be handled.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
This would be better handled by providing a better incentive to handle waste properly, rather than relying on players good natures, and in fact...it sort of is.

IIRC its been established that you can actually create power/steam from the nuclear waste.

Power from it? Are you proposing to forward the neutrons it emits back into a reactor? I'm having a hard enough time just keeping the storage containers cool.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Power from it? Are you proposing to forward the neutrons it emits back into a reactor? I'm having a hard enough time just keeping the storage containers cool.
I forget the exact setup. Might have involved a single fission core + a bunch of waste containers, or just waste containers, I forget the specifics :(

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
@Reika: Regarding the requirement to have reactors chunkloaded, have you ever had a world that wouldn't load because a reactor wasn't chunkloaded?

I don't quite understand how the reactor can continue to run when the chunk isn't loaded, but regarding the buildup of neutrons, could they be given a finite lifetime? For instance neutron entities should self destruct after 2 seconds? Given their speed they would still cover an area, but couldn't pile up?