Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
Not a suggestion, really. But I just wanted to say "Thanks for a great mod!" Reika.

For awhile, I confess, I was one of those who just imitated what others had done, because the power transmission and the like didn't make sense to me. I mean, I read the words. I understood them. But it just didn't really mesh.
But, I wanted access to some of the things the higher tiers gave. So, I started with the fundamentals, borrowed other peoples setups for things, looking up how others had done this, or that.

And then, at one point, I wanted to do something that...I couldn't find out how anyone else had done it. My Google-fu failed, and turned up nothing. I was stuck. I was kind of frustrated.

And between one build and the next, just a few minutes apart. It was like my brain said "Dude, you're embarrassing me, stop." And it meshed. I could figure these things out for myself. It really was simple math, nothing terribly complex at all. I don't know why I didn't get it before. Just out of practice, I suppose, or just needed to be hands on for a bit with other peoples designs so I could learn it that way.

Either way, I'm having MUCH more fun coming up with my own designs, and having to actually think about things, than I ever did copying other peoples, so Thanks for a mod that actually made me think again.

I'm heading to Reactorcraft next. I wonder how many craters I'll leave, and how brightly they'll glow at night...
To my knowledge Reika designed Rotarycraft to be more fun when you figure it out for yourself, rather than blindly copying. This is one of the things that make me like Rotarycraft so much, (and wish my server owner didn't have such an aversion to it...) The only time i'd copy a design is if i wanted to toy around with it and see if i could improve upon it, or see how it worked first hand.

Azdule

Jul 29, 2019
I have to say ive enjoying starting out again in rotary craft after having a long break from it. I'm very much looking forward to dabbling with reactor craft but at the same time it terrifies me as I might blow up my base! :D

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
I have to say ive enjoying starting out again in rotary craft after having a long break from it. I'm very much looking forward to dabbling with reactor craft but at the same time it terrifies me as I might blow up my base! :D

Start with an HTGR (pebble bed) reactor. There is no real danger with it, but it's more complex to setup. If it overheats, it makes lava. The later reactors have small explosions, but major radiation issues. It's not like IC2 where you'd lose a few square KM.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Start with an HTGR (pebble bed) reactor. There is no real danger with it, but it's more complex to setup. If it overheats, it makes lava. The later reactors have small explosions, but major radiation issues. It's not like IC2 where you'd lose a few square KM.
Well, you do lose a large area, but not in the "now a hole in the ground" sense. Try living there, however, and...there is a reason the achievement is called "Time to Move". :p

Reactions: Demosthenex

1M Industries

Jul 29, 2019
Well, you do lose a large area, but not in the "now a hole in the ground" sense. Try living there, however, and...there is a reason the achievement is called "Time to Move". :p
Which is why I plan to build my reactor far, far, FAR away, and use electricraft to transport power back. Being an electronics geek is fun. (I have already memorized all the colour codes.)

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
No mystcraft on my server, and the end and twilight get reset every week. And it is technically not "my" server, just one that I play on.
Resetting twilight forest every week???

... Why? The end I can understand -- there's only one dragon, and if you kill it, no one else can play. But TF?

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Resetting twilight forest every week???

... Why? The end I can understand -- there's only one dragon, and if you kill it, no one else can play. But TF?

Yeah... I have to rewrite the restore scripts, but the goal was to make it so weekly the ender dragon reset and the twilight reset so you could go adventuring. We just shutdown the server and restored from backup those dimensions.

That we have fixed size dimensions has alot to do with it.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Ohh ... TF kinda needs expansion if you have many players on a server. Fixed size would do it.

Do you at least ensure that a new seed is selected for the forest? Otherwise, someone might do something like find a rich spot in a hollow hill, and camp that spot for the reset.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Ohh ... TF kinda needs expansion if you have many players on a server. Fixed size would do it.

Do you at least ensure that a new seed is selected for the forest? Otherwise, someone might do something like find a rich spot in a hollow hill, and camp that spot for the reset.

We had a player do that once. I ask that players not use automated mining in TF. Manual is ok if they conquer the objective.

1M Industries

Jul 29, 2019
We had a player do that once. I ask that players not use automated mining in TF. Manual is ok if they conquer the objective.
Mind if I use chromaticraft auto mining for crystals? It will pull everything up, but it is REALLY expensive to make and use. EDIT: I say this because the twilight forest has a greater chance for crystals to generate.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Mind if I use chromaticraft auto mining for crystals? It will pull everything up, but it is REALLY expensive to make and use. EDIT: I say this because the twilight forest has a greater chance for crystals to generate.

That's automated mining, isn't it? ;]

On another topic, ever since we upgraded to v5 all my ReC items have no textures in inventory. They are completely blank, not even the little purple corners. I switched to default from Soartex, they are still blank! I wiped my MC instance and reinstalled it all, and it showed up briefly. Second start they are gone again. Has anyone else seen similar issues?

1M Industries

Jul 29, 2019

On another topic, ever since we upgraded to v5 all my ReC items have no textures in inventory. They are completely blank, not even the little purple corners. I switched to default from Soartex, they are still blank! I wiped my MC instance and reinstalled it all, and it showed up briefly. Second start they are gone again. Has anyone else seen similar issues?
Doh....I really need the crystals, and I don't want to a) target hollow hills b) leave large areas of the non resettable overworld without resources.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Doh....I really need the crystals, and I don't want to a) target hollow hills b) leave large areas of the non resettable overworld without resources.

Quarry the arctic, make a bore. Plenty in overworld. My objection to TF is it's too resource rich, and if I auto-reset the dimension it's ripe for abuse again.

1M Industries

Jul 29, 2019
Quarry the arctic, make a bore. Plenty in overworld. My objection to TF is it's too resource rich, and if I auto-reset the dimension it's ripe for abuse again.
Hmm...Only problem is that CC's mining solution will pull up 17 by 17 chunks of stuff, without touching anything other than ore. I don't want to do that In the overworld, as that might annoy someone ("WHY CAN'T I FIND ORES?!?!?!"), but also, I respect that the Twilight is really rich in ores. Also, you need a ton of crystals. I think I have used 7+ stacks of then, and I am not even halfway through chromaticraft. That, and you don't get to choose level, type, or amount of ore that you get from CC's mining machine. It just pulls them all up, regardless. This means that you may get 20 diamonds, but you also get 500+ coal. It is a tradeoff.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com

Try removing all texture packs.

I moved some sprites around in v5, but persisting after removing the texture packs?