Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Well we already have water, ammonia, carbon dioxide and sodium. What gameplay enhancement would mercury provide?

Reactions: Reika

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
Since we're talking about this, I'm going to reiterate a previous post I made about the many potential uses of lead: (And some other random ideas)

Edit: So, ive been holding out on saying this for awhile so that hopefully electricraft would be fleshed out a bit more and because ive actually only played with electricraft once, but ive come up with some ideas that may be useful elsewhere so ill go ahead and say it.

I would also like to mention that my computer has been broken for a few months and i have been waiting for the money/parts to fix it. So if i mention something that has been changed, its probably because i cant download the mod and check.

Anyway, i remember the generator/motor required considerable amount of gold, which i thought it didnt need, but regardless of if thats still true what about changing the motors/generators to a tiered system based on the wire/material used to make them? For example, an aluminium coil would give the generator a 1024 amp limit, and an 8 volt (or some multiplication of this) loss.

Also, i feel that some of the ores added by electricraft could be easily replaced by using secondary ore byproducts. For example, platinium ore could be easily replaced by a platinium byproduct from nickel (which i recall itself not being very useful, at least not in the amounts you got it) and silver could be replaced by tetrahedrite (or, more accurately, freibergite) which can be a primary ore of copper with a secondary silver byproduct.

Edit2: i also recall the superconductor not requiring platinium to be rather strange, and makes the platinium wire seem kinda pointless, considering silver and gold are more abundant.

Or, alternatively, silver ore could be replaced with galena, providing lead and silver. Lead could be combined with sulfuric acid and used as an alternative to the diamond spam recipe for low-tier batteries. Nickel could also have a great use as a low-to-mid tier battery alternative to diamonds as well. Cadmium and lithium (lithium from clay, maybe?) would also be nice diamond replacements for specific tiers as well.

Also, i noticed while researching for the above that molten lead has actually been used as a heat exchange for nuclear reactors, as it has advantages for safety (no explosions) and its a neutron reflector. I feel that this use alone could make replacing reactorcraft silver ore with galena something to consider, with molten lead being advantageous in being much safer then water or sodium, but less efficient and requiring higher operating temperatures.
Additionally, lead is obviously useful for radiation protection (upgraded concrete, maybe? Or just lead blocks. And of course hazmats) and could also be useful as a cheaper but lower pressure/temperature tolerance alternative to HSLA steel piping. And im sure there are other uses. Its actually a surprisingly useful metal.

Forgot a really obvious use for lead: boolets.

Edit: It can also be used as wire sheathing, to prevent water from getting to insulation. Perhaps replacing some of the wool in the insulated wire recipe? As an alternative recipe, probably.

Also, it would probably make a great flywheel.

EDIT: The galena part could just as well be done with secondary outputs.

Last edited:
Reactions: frogfigther

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Enough for a pump, but I guess one could just as well use redstone engines there

Edit: or save the dynamo and just use RoC's pump in this case

Geckogamer

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry for this late reply

I did some research on mercury

as for coolant it conducts the heat fast
But with the down side of absorbing almost all neutrinos

For other uses i was thinking that i it could used in a thermometer (since old thermometers used this)
As well as a battery (old battery's did contain mercury)

As for generation i think cinnabar ore could do it (but i dont know if you want to add another ore + tc already adds its own)
It could also generates as underground pools(but wouldn't be realistic)

I hope i provided enough info

send from a thing

Morberis

Jul 29, 2019
If you're going to be moving towards a more realistic ore system with by product metals why not mirror gregtech for byproducts etc. It's not stealing from gregtech, games like DF have had similar ore systems long before GT. It also allows more systems to be introduced for better results, like maybe a different ore processing path involving chemical solvents to get a different result.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
If you're going to be moving towards a more realistic ore system with by product metals why not mirror gregtech for byproducts etc. It's not stealing from gregtech, games like DF have had similar ore systems long before GT. It also allows more systems to be introduced for better results, like maybe a different ore processing path involving chemical solvents to get a different result.
Because people would scream that he's ripping off GergTech, and it may not fit his vision. RoC and the like seem more physics-centered whereas Gerg is more chemistry-focused.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
That and GT requires totally rewriting the way ores work (not generation, but in terms of how processing works).
Greg also did this a few times before he got what he wanted, AND its not 100% compatible with other systems, AND its got minor drawbacks.

DaytonV

Jul 29, 2019
For other uses i was thinking that i it could used in a thermometer (since old thermometers used this)

Thinking of thermometers, is there a guide somewhere regarding the temperature for a given location? I seem to recall reading something regarding the temperature was based upon elevation, as well as biome and potentially weather, but I can't seem to find the source for that. Some thermometers utilize expansion/contraction of metal springs to give rough estimates of temperature.

To be perfectly honest, I spent several hours looking for those numbers, and I couldn't find it... I was trying to figure out why a grinder wouldn't go with 4 steam engines hooked together (needed the first couple of buckets of lube). Troubleshooting eventually led to the discovery that I was situated on the intersection of two biomes, one approximately 50 degrees colder than the other, so one of my steam engines wasn't actually hitting 100 degrees :-/

Can't say that a thermometer would be a huge help with that kinda situation, but it'd make planning a base a bit easier to know what the ambient temperature is. At least on a ratio of ice to steam (or flame) (I was thinking a model based on the clock, a block of ice on one side, a bit of flame on the other...or something along those lines).

Geekman9097

Jul 29, 2019
Thinking of thermometers, is there a guide somewhere regarding the temperature for a given location? I seem to recall reading something regarding the temperature was based upon elevation, as well as biome and potentially weather, but I can't seem to find the source for that. Some thermometers utilize expansion/contraction of metal springs to give rough estimates of temperature.

To be perfectly honest, I spent several hours looking for those numbers, and I couldn't find it... I was trying to figure out why a grinder wouldn't go with 4 steam engines hooked together (needed the first couple of buckets of lube). Troubleshooting eventually led to the discovery that I was situated on the intersection of two biomes, one approximately 50 degrees colder than the other, so one of my steam engines wasn't actually hitting 100 degrees :-/

Can't say that a thermometer would be a huge help with that kinda situation, but it'd make planning a base a bit easier to know what the ambient temperature is. At least on a ratio of ice to steam (or flame) (I was thinking a model based on the clock, a block of ice on one side, a bit of flame on the other...or something along those lines).
I made a sketch of what this cold look like. I don't expect it to be in, mainly because a simple numerical aspect could be far better, but it's attached. Recipe could be a spring, a needle, a peice of glass, and some HSLA

Attachments

• Reika therm concept.png
    Reika therm concept.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 68
Reactions: DaytonV

DaytonV

Jul 29, 2019
I made a sketch of what this cold look like. I don't expect it to be in, mainly because a simple numerical aspect could be far better, but it's attached. Recipe could be a spring, a needle, a peice of glass, and some HSLA
Maybe the digital versionl uses this thermometer with a display?

Geekman9097

Jul 29, 2019
So reika. Saw
video just recently, and he talks about how a condenser can help create more force to turn a turbine over. Is there behavior like this in reactorcraft?