Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone have issues with the sonic bore (v4c)? I've giving it what should be the minimum power (4k NM, 64 kW @ 16 R, via 1 gas engine) and nothing seems to happen.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a documentation error? I had the impression I was fulfilling the requirements. I'll add another engine.

Zandorum

Jul 29, 2019
-snip- I had an idea but I noticed an exploit that wasn't avoidable without a complete rewrite of a block so I removed the idea.

Last edited:

Geckogamer

Jul 29, 2019
I had the following idea in my head for some time for reactorcraft

i recently found a bit info about mercury (the metal)
It is a good conductor of heat could this be used a reactor coolant?

Idk how it produced in real life but maybe some underground pool's in specific biomes

Edited because of derp

send from a thing

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario

Idk how it produced in real life but maybe some underground pool's in specific biomes

Edited because of derp

send from a thing
You'd need to be able to express it in terms of game mechanics. What would it change in a reactor versus current coolants? Why would someone use it?

eric167

Jul 29, 2019
from what I can tell of the liquid metal reactors, and recalling information from my Thermodynamics class, using mercury (or molten salt, lead, etc) for the primary loop allows for higher heat transfer/efficiency. i would translate this to in-game as a higher heat output (but see my final sentence) or a lower fuel burnup rate.
in addition, these are fast reactors (except the salt one), meaning they produce far less hazardous waste (in-game, simply less waste products).
the salt reactor has the fuel dissolved into the molten material, meaning in the event of an incident it is designed to simply flow down out of the core, into storage tanks in a non-critical configuration to cool down.
biggest downside is the energy input needed to keep the material molten reducing the net output. potential balancing factor.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com

Edited because of derp

send from a thing
Two big questions:
One, how is mercury to be obtained ingame?
Two, how does mercury interact with neutrons?

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Is there an effective difference between keeping a material fluid and keeping it molten? Because, if not (or if the difference is small), then there wouldn't need to be much energy input to keep mercury in a liquid state, considering its a fluid at room temperature; a piece of burning netherrack, for example, would be more than enough to bring cooled (from a heat exchanger) mercury back to a liquid temperature.

Mercury, methinks, is obtained from cinnabar, though there are likely other sources, as well.

1M Industries

Jul 29, 2019
Is there an effective difference between keeping a material fluid and keeping it molten? Because, if not (or if the difference is small), then there wouldn't need to be much energy input to keep mercury in a liquid state, considering its a fluid at room temperature; a piece of burning netherrack, for example, would be more than enough to bring cooled (from a heat exchanger) mercury back to a liquid temperature.

Mercury, methinks, is obtained from cinnabar, though there are likely other sources, as well.
What about this: redstone is red. Cinnabar is red. What about mercury coming from redstone in the extractor? It kinda makes sense.

frogfigther

Jul 29, 2019
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast-neutron_reactor
(look in: nuclear reactor design/ coolant/line 3-4)

The early Clementine reactor used mercury coolant and plutonium metal fuel. In addition to its toxicity to humans, mercury has a high cross section for the neutron and gamma reaction, causing activation in the coolant and losing neutrons that could otherwise be absorbed in the fuel, which is why it is no longer used or considered as a coolant in reactors.

well according to that, mercury is not suitable for coolant in nuclear reactors due to it absorbing to many of the neutron, that could have been absorbed by the fuel

Last edited:

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
What about this: redstone is red. Cinnabar is red. What about mercury coming from redstone in the extractor? It kinda makes sense.
Except extracting silktouched redstone ore is the only way to get tungsten (or titanium? I can never remember), which is needed for the gas turbine and other late-game RoC stuff.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
That was switched to iron ore in later versions.
I really need to stop posting things about mods that have updated multiple times since I last tested the blocks in question...

In that case, yeah, getting cinnabar/mercury as a byproduct from extracting redstone could work.

Reactions: ljfa