Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Actually, this is a much better illustration of reika's point. A gasoline engine requires a decent amount of iron, as well as a bit of gold. (Can someone give exact amounts?) This will give 124 rf/t, about equivalent to 1.5 steam dynamos (16.5 - 18 copper, 1.5 silver) while gasoline requires more infrastructure to make fully sustainable (sugar plantation, sugar grinder, fermenter, sand grinder, composter vs tree farm and a powered furnace )
Bingo.

Vaeliorin

Jul 29, 2019
I have to admit, with the old ratios I considered the rotational dynamo basically worthless. It was much, much easier to generate useful amounts of rf with TE, and eventually BR. While I still wouldn't be likely to use it (I rarely build more than 1 dynamo before I move on to a BR reactor), it's at least a reasonable option with those new ratios.

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
28 HSLA steel (27 if you recycle the base panel afterwards, you only need 2 but craft 3), 3 gold, and a redstone dust if I worked it out right.
27 steel is about 18 iron when you factor in the 50% bonus, though this count leaves out a fair bit of other necessary resources. (Most notably those grinders...)

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Wait...what?! The most I've ever been able to eke out of a Big Reactor was ~175k RF/t. What the hell have you been building, Reika?!
I do not use BR, but I have seen builds with people generating 600MRF/t.

The fact you can configure BR powergen multipliers, with many setting that to 20 or more, does not help.

Nor do the new turbines.

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
It would still be nice to have a config for old values, for those of us who dont play with BR and prefer converting shaft to RF for RF the hard way.
... and maybe a half way between the two option as well.

fredfredburger

Jul 29, 2019
The only way to get those numbers with a BR is to up the power multiplier to about 300. Any liquid cooled BR (turbines) maxes at 700 kRF/t due to the fixed steam buffer limiting you to 25 turbines. Passively cooled reactors can go higher, but only to around 1-2 MRF/t at the maximum size.

I absolutely agree with the low-end balancing though. The new conversion ratio would make RoC -> RF feasible through the dynamo and BR equivalent stages. This might warrant a buff to magnetostatics though since it would require huge amounts of RF to power even basic RoC machinery decently. I already see them as being too much hassle to be worth while but 9x power usage would be rough on them.

Reactions: abculatter_2

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
@Reika
Don't bother yourself with those players that plays with BR configured to higher than default multiplier. If you want to balance it, just balance it to the default config for BR.

Reactions: gallowglass

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Then is it possible for you to have your mod detect BR's config and then have your outout scale to BR's configed multiplier?

fredfredburger

Jul 29, 2019
I wonder if you could implement the new ratios for the rotational dynamo, magnetostatic, and turbine generator, but cap their generation as needed for balance. I would recommend caps of 3.7 GW for the turbine generator (~6 MRF), and 8 MW for the dynamo (~12.8 kRF). That puts the dynamo in the range of a decent Big Reactor and the turbine generator limited while still providing incentive to use an HP turbine instead of spamming LP turbines (also resource cost).

EDIT: rephrased everything after a bit of thought

Last edited:

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I wonder if you could implement the new ratios for the rotational dynamo and magnetostatic, but hit the turbine generator with a nerf bat. Cap it at maybe 2-4 MRF/t and consider the difference a limitation of the output port on the generator. I would also cap the generation of the dynamo to a more sane figure to discourage people spamming them for crazy outputs. Not change the conversion, just limit the output to approximately it is now (8 MW cap?)
The dynamo may need changing, but I am not going to nerf the generator.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I think the highest I've ever seen the BR multiplier go was 1.22x output, and I think that was in Monster. Are there any relatively well-known packs that do the insane things, or is it just small packs being mad?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I think the highest I've ever seen the BR multiplier go was 1.22x output, and I think that was in Monster. Are there any relatively well-known packs that do the insane things, or is it just small packs being mad?
I've certainly never seen it. I've never played anything with > 0.9 for that matter. Infitech2 for instance does 0.6 power, and 10.0 fuel consumption.

I try not to worry about what the individual kids do.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I've certainly never seen it. I've never played anything with > 0.9 for that matter. Infitech2 for instance does 0.6 power, and 10.0 fuel consumption.

I try not to worry about what the individual kids do.
One of the reddit threads I referred to earlier had it at 140; the user also acted extremely casual about it, as if it was normal.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
One of the reddit threads I referred to earlier had it at 140; the user also acted extremely casual about it, as if it was normal.
I re-iterate: I try not to worry about what the individual kids do. Point me to a popular pack, FTB, third-party, or whatever, that has anything remotely like this, and I'll change my tune.

Trying to design around what individuals try to do with configs is futile; its like trying to design around people who like to hex-edit the binaries. Who cares about them. Design around your own balance principals if you must or make it accessible to packs by allowing configuration, but making decisions based on these sorts of people is just asking for headaches.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I re-iterate: I try not to worry about what the individual kids do. Point me to a popular pack, FTB, third-party, or whatever, that has anything remotely like this, and I'll change my tune.

Trying to design around what individuals try to do with configs is futile; its like trying to design around people who like to hex-edit the binaries. Who cares about them. Design around your own balance principals if you must or make it accessible to packs by allowing configuration, but making decisions based on these sorts of people is just asking for headaches.
Even if it is not the default in the major packs, that means rather little if it is still the most common way it is actually played.