BWF part 2: Red Power edition?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

slowpoke

Administrator
Team Member
FTB Founder
Jul 29, 2019
Normally I dont bother to entertain posts like this, but in this case Briman approached me and I think there are several clarifications that should be made here. So Briman has started work on a new mod. The first question is, is this a slowpoke/FTB sanctioned mod. This question right from the start is insanity in of itself. Neither I nor FTB get to sanction any new mod. We are not the governing body of Minecraft modding and the thought that we may be is plain silly. The idea that anyone is taking advantage of anything, especially Eloraam is well frankly nuts.

Moving on to your logs, and whats been said, there are again a few clarifications that need to be made. First and I have just spoken to Briman, whilst this mod contains aspect that I may want to use on future maps, the actual request for these feature in a new mod did not come from me. I certainly didnt 'tell' Briman to do it. If I remember, there was a conversation where another member of the FTB team was talking about another modder making a mod that contained features that had a similar functionality to Redpower. Briman has offered to do this (incidentily, he is not the only modder interested in making features that replicate the functionality of aspects of Red Power (funnily enough, no one wants to go near Frames)).

So this brings us on to the question of 'Is this wrong' Fundementally no what Briman is looking to do is in no way wrong. As long as the code, the texztures etc are not taken from Red Power then my understanding is that Briman is well within his rights to do what he is doing. In the conversations I have had with him, he intends to essentially duplicate the functionality of certain parts of Red Power (but not all of it) However, he intends to a) Use his own code. b) Use his own Textures c) Use his own names. This is not something new, when the BTW/BTF argument came up it was made very clear that modders cannot and do not own ideas. They own code, they own textures but not ideas.

So this brings us on to the question, does FTB support this mod. The simple answer is that as always we do not and will not take sides in this matter. It is not our job to get in the middle of anything and in this case there isnt even a fight as what Briman is doing is fine. Whilst I am sure he wont be appearing on the christmas card lists of certain people any time soon. Unless A modder comes to me and brings up an issue with another mod then generally we like to stay out of it. This may come as a surprise to people, but this nuetrality is important to FTB, there are times in the past where I have defended modders that I dont particulaly care for when they were up against modders that I would call friends. My own policy on this is I believe mod developers wishes with regards to the usage of their own mods should be respected. However I do not believe that any one modder should be able to hold an indefinate monopoly on a specific functionality. A good example of this is he Macerator, for a long time the 2 for 1 ore functionality remained the domain of IC2 and no one really intruded upon that out of respect. This barrier has now gone and several other mods have items that have a similar functionality. This is a good thing, it helps to encourage innovation and better ways of implementing the same idea. In the long term this only benefits the end user by giving them a choice.

Hopefully this clears some of this up.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
If is going to better than RedPower, then it would have to be godlike.
I.E; You cannot beat redpower.

You cannot beat redpower? LOL!

powercraft (more gates than redpower), immibis microblocks (work with every single mod), applied energestics (sorting easy).

only a frame-like contraption left.

Zivel

Jul 29, 2019
Ugocraft apparently got some update love. Block to entity + rotation. Looks like frames on steroids.

That youtube was about 8 months ago and so far as I can tell its still in 1.4.5 ported. Not sure if it will make it to 1.4.7. Not sure if Ugocraft can move other blocks than itself either.

nukularpower

Jul 29, 2019
Slowpoke: Thanks for taking the time to respond. I did overreact, and there has certainly been enough drama lately that I shouldn't be trying to add more. I found the way Briman was seemingly rubbing his remake in everyone's face rather offensive, but I took it too far, in particular with the insults there, so I apologize for that. Thanks for your time clearing up the matter.

As I said on the previous page, I do find that type of copying somewhat disrespectful, but my main issue was FTB being involved somehow. Since that was cleared up, feel free to close this thread or whatever.

Also, that Ugocraft vid is old!

slowpoke

Administrator
Team Member
FTB Founder
Jul 29, 2019
Questions asked and answered. No real need to leave this open any more I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.