BWF part 2: Red Power edition?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

nukularpower

Jul 29, 2019
This post is to ask, as clearly as possible, whether or not the upcoming Red Power 2 ripoff, by a modder named Briman, is in fact officially Slowpoke/FTB sanctioned, as he claims it to be. I find this rather disgusting, and in fact a confirmation of the way Flowerchild has characterized Slowpoke, if true: A greedy politician willing to throw anyone under the bus for the sake of his "brand". Considering Eloraam is purportedly a personal friend, this is disturbing to me on several levels, but the major one is the fact that, due to her absence, she is likely to be a whole lot easier to take advantage of in this "wholesale mod copy" way that seems to be becoming a trend on this front, than Flowerchild, who was obviously more than willing to fight back, was.

Feel free to troll me with "I want RP2, but I dont have it, so I DESERVE it!" posts or whatever, if you want. If Briman is making a similar mod with his own ideas, fine, but he is clearly not selling it as such, and in fact (and perhaps due to the meh reception his other mod, Assembly Line - in itself, a clone of MFR - has recieved) he seems rather desperate to get attention with the Red Power name. Feel free to look over the attached IRC log, if you are so inclined, where he also claims that this mod is being made at the personal request of Slowpoke - my main concern in the matter. The main points of interest is are at the 15:26 mark and 15:33.

Attachments

• #Direwolf20 - 2013-04-03.txt
    17.5 KB · Views: 214

BananaSplit2

Jul 29, 2019
You're being way too aggressive on this one...

And Slowpoke is far from being a greedy twat, I can assure you. He only gives, he doesn't receive in the story, he has nothing to earn from FTB

Now it's true that Eloraam is unresponsive, and if Briman wants to do a similar mod, he has all the rights to do so.

And about Flowerchild. I don't believe one word of what she could have said. She doesn't even use the Forge, she doesn't like anyone around it

nukularpower

Jul 29, 2019
What he gets is beside the point. It's starting to look like, to me, any mod that Slowpoke wants, that doesn't want to be in FTB/doesn't update fast enough/whatever is up on the block to be cloned by Briman, CPW, or whoever. Hence, the main point of this thread is to ask whether or not this is really "officially endorsed", since this is pretty much exactly why Flowerchild left Forge to begin with, and I would like to know whether or not he ended up right - something I never would have thought possible, once upon a time.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Eh, wouldn't read too much into man, as you've said yourself, he's quite desperate for attention, such people would do anything, even claim legitimacy by using the name of a more prominent figure.

Sure is an asshole. "My microblock mod will be so much better than yours"

BananaSplit2

Jul 29, 2019
Sure is an asshole. "My microblock mod will be so much better than yours"

I don't think this is really an aggressive sentence. looks more like a little friendly mockery to immibis

Yet, I do believe than he should stop promoting his mod so much until he actually releases it

nukularpower

Jul 29, 2019
Eh, wouldn't read too much into man, as you've said yourself, he's quite desperate for attention, such people would do anything, even claim legitimacy by using the name of a more prominent figure.

Yeah, I did consider that, and I dont want to jump to conclusions.. but "Slowpoke told me to do it" seems pretty unambiguous.

I don't think this is really an aggressive sentence. looks more like a little friendly mockery to immibis
It was aggressive, actually, and sparked a whole other arguement that I cut out as I wasn't involved in it.

That said, this is not the only mod of this sort; and I really don't care if he just makes his own version of RP2, outside of a feeling of disrespect. Even MFR seems to be making it's own wiring system now, after all. So, I guess I will just drop it.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I did consider that, and I dont want to jump to conclusions.. but "Slowpoke told me to do it" seems pretty unambiguous.
Yeah, well, there's absolutely no way to know for sure, especially once you start doubting. I'm disposed to call that feller an outright liar, but that's just a feeling and is in no way reason for building an opinion.

I guess it'd be better to call his outburst and this thread dramamongering and letting it all go, till things shake out.

Nice to have you here by the way nukular.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, that's the thing, RP had such wast amounts of coding time sunk into it that you'd have to be utterly bonkers to copy the whole thing, much less make it better.

It's one of the reasons, I think, why Elo isn't so hot about updating it anymore. It's a huge hulking conglomerate of code now.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
This post is to ask, as clearly as possible, whether or not the upcoming Red Power 2 ripoff

Copying ideas is not a ripoff. Technically, a ripoff only applies to financial issues, but even if you expand the definition there is the expectation of theft or fraud. Unless this Briman is stealing code, which I strongly doubt, it does not qualify.

The rest of your rant is rabid mouth foaming, and dismissable.

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, BWF is the second "copy mod", the first one being a part of Forge - ModLoader turned obsolete when, in Risu's refuse to it being added to FTB, the mod is copied to Forge. That's why we have the Forge ModLoader now. Also, the first case of "copy mod" was caused by a "no", second was incompatibility on a great mod, this third one is slowness.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
Nothing is wrong in writing a mod that takes ideas from an other one, especially if there are people that want the functionalities, but are displeased with the rest of the mod or the modder.

As long as it happens to be a proper work of creation, and not going through the code of an other mod and taking bits and pieces here and there, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

As for how you advertise, it's up to you, but if you are using a "popular figure", it can very well backfire big time and turn most of the people interested in your project into an angry mob that would take any chance to bash on it, even if it is not founded.

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
Survival of the fittest, really. Like how someone else said, with modloader and risu, it's going to be replaced if it can't keep up or fit the needs.

I started laughing towards the end of the .txt because I read everything in a stereotypical gangster voice.

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
I mean if he is not stealing code, I don't really see a problem with it. I would hate to see RP2 go but Eloraam's lack of communication, how long it takes to update, and that no one can make plugins for it is really annoying. That said good luck trying to make something half as good as RP2

briman0094

Jul 29, 2019
I thank all of you who are taking my side in this. I'm not trying to rip anybody off. I'm simply providing the community with the features that are only found in RedPower in a new, clean, open-sourced mod that is kept up to date. I won't be using any of Eloraam's intellectual property (code, textures, models, names, etc.) at all. I will be creating everything from scratch; the only things that will be similar will be the core mechanics of the mod. Nukularpower, does it really matter that I'm "copying" (which I'm actually not) Eloraam? You seem to be the only person who cares. What are you trying to accomplish with this post other than to start a flame war and call me a liar and thief? I'd appreciate it if you would stop. It's only making you look bad and nobody else cares to hear you complain about this any longer.

briman0094

Jul 29, 2019
Also, how can you say that Assembly Line is a clone of MineFactory Reloaded? Because they both have conveyor belts? With that logic obviously RedPower is just a BulidCraft clone because they have tube devices and Thermal Expansion is just an IndustrialCraft2 clone because they both have a pulverizer device. Please learn your facts before accusing somebody of anything.

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
I'd like to note here that Eloraam herself has a stance on "copying" ideas that is friendly to the idea of a mod trying to recreate the features of RP2 in a different way. She talked about it on her blog, how she herself borrowed ideas from other mods, and other mods borrowed ideas from her, and then both mods ended up growing with that. Her tubes came to being after Buildcraft added their Pipes, and before that MineFactory already had Conveyor Belts. Yet, all of these fill different needs and do different things. If Briman wants to remake all of RP2 and add his own twist to it, i'm fully supportive of the idea.

What is Redpower in the end? Huge redstone logic gates condensed down to single blocks, tubes, the block manipulating suite (filter/retriever/sorting machine/sortron/manager/deployer/block breaker, etc...), the machines (whose only use is to make the RP2 items, apart from the functionality of the Alloy Furnace of breaking items into components), the energy to supply them (3 types of possible generation), and 2 cosmetic blocks, marble and basalt, plus the microblocks suite. And Frames.

Other than frames and the compact redstone logic and red alloy wire (redstone on walls), everything can be found in other mods already. BC3 takes care of transportation, although i'll definitely miss the sorting machine. Routers from FZ can do some amazing stuff, there are filter pipes, and there's Immibis Microblocks, which are actually more compatible with everything than the RP2 microblocks are.

MFR is adding compact redstone logic and something similar to red alloy wire (actually more like red jacketed wire). It's only a matter of time before someone figures Frames out and do something similar. RP2 is very convenient in that it has all those things together in the same mod, using the same mechanics, so all works together to create a whole that's greater than the sum of it's parts.

If Briman wants to rise up to the challenge, i say kudos to him. Make something better than RP2 and everyone will praise you forever. None of the ideas in RP2 are really unique. RP2 is a well done mod, but it's not the most original mod ever. The way it's DONE is very original, but the mod itself, isn't. Except Frames, those i think were very original.

I just hope it's not all talk, because that would be very awkward... Also the part about Slowpoke asking you do it, you were or weren't joking when you said that? It's a very serious allegation, i don't think Eloraam would be too pleased to know something like that was being said behind her back.

Status
Not open for further replies.