Building a SkyScraper

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
A small update for today. Got a close-up of the building so people can see the contrast of the brick/stone/concrete...I do wish there was something just a tad darker than concrete...but alas...there isn't, plenty of stuff that is too dark though :(.

2013-09-06_211032_zps6acdb0bc.png

2013-09-06_211137_zps74907f09.png

2013-09-06_211102_zps079f4a9e.png

And here is a picture of the underground room for the first tree farm that is going to feed the boilers once they get started. Still have to wire it up, but the planter and harvester are in place at least. This is actually built under the boilers, so it's the sub-basement I guess you could call it. First of a few tree farms to feed all the boilers.
2013-09-07_011442_zps15fad01f.png

oh, and sorry about having all the stats on their, I don't even notice it half the time so I forgot to turn it off.

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
Time for another update! I didn't get anything else done to the building itself, I decided I wanted to get some real power generation going before I worked more on that so I can get some automation for the stuff I need started.

Got 3 36HP boilers heating up, powered by 3 MFR Oak Tree Farms (2 Emerald upgrades, and 1 Diamond). Hoping this will give me quite a bit of excess to get the next set of boilers going.

I've created a nice compact design for the engines, with switches to turn them off and on (2 switches control 9 each, and 2 more control 18 each)...this is so I can regulate the flow of power as needed. The goal is to have everything be completely self sufficient once all 75 boilers are runnings. This will be done with charcoal (currently using 10 powered furnaces to produce the charcoal, I've got a surplus of wood though so going to have to add more) as well as biofuel later. All of this is processed via an ME subnet for the farm/boiler area.

Going to clean this up a bit later, but I was in a hurry tonight just to get it started.

And without further ado...pretties! :D

2013-09-08_180129_zps5e23cd6a.png

2013-09-08_181701_zps53364d3e.png

2013-09-09_200623_zps4131d427.png

2013-09-09_200556_zps9f69a758.png

2013-09-09_210917_zpsa9751e92.png

2013-09-09_212946_zps0d5d2f5c.png

Silent_007

Jul 29, 2019
I love that engine/boiler layout.
Hope you can keep those bad boys fueled! :eek:

I'm also a fan of the 'brutalist' architecture. So far it's quite well done IMO - just the right amount of basic detail.

Reactions: Staxed

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
I love that engine/boiler layout.
Hope you can keep those bad boys fueled! :eek:

I'm also a fan of the 'brutalist' architecture. So far it's quite well done IMO - just the right amount of basic detail.

With 3 boilers heated up to full last night, the farms produced an extra 70K charcoal and 75K wood, so I need more furnaces, but I can get quite a few of the boilers started up and running :D, gonna do 1 at a time to make sure production can keep up, then add farms when needed.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Instead of using more Powered furnaces, try using steam ovens. They'll do 9 items at a time, and don't require power conversion, just a steam input.

What's running up into the bottoms of the boilers?

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
Instead of using more Powered furnaces, try using steam ovens. They'll do 9 items at a time, and don't require power conversion, just a steam input.

What's running up into the bottoms of the boilers?

It's just two aqueous accumulators per boiler going into the bottom.

I was thinking about steam ovens, the only issue I have the boilers/engines planned out to provide exactly enough steam for all the engines with no steam left over, so I'd have to build another small boiler just to provide the power to the steam oven, which I think is kind of pointless since I've already got plenty of leftover power for the furnaces. I don't have much experience with steam ovens though, so I'll have to look into it more.

Tdb360

Jul 29, 2019
1. What is your method of mining?
2.What type of plants are those?
3.That could power a lot of things when it is done :D

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
1. What is your method of mining?
2.What type of plants are those?
3.That could power a lot of things when it is done :D

1. I'm using a Turtle script to mine for me at the moment, probably move that to more than one turtle once I get our mining world setup.

2. They are just normal oak trees

3. Yes, yes it could :D

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I'm not sure the exact amount of steam needed, but I believe one boiler can power more than one steam oven. I'm not sure how it compares to powered furnaces, but it's supposed to take 12.5 seconds to cook 9 items.

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure the exact amount of steam needed, but I believe one boiler can power more than one steam oven. I'm not sure how it compares to powered furnaces, but it's supposed to take 12.5 seconds to cook 9 items.

The fact that it requires steam to run is my issue :D I've got plans for 75 boilers, all powering engine, with no left over steam...so in order to get the steam oven powered, I'd have to make another boiler...and don't have a good place to put it really...I still might do it though, that really doesn't seem much faster than the powered furnaces...I'll have to look at the energy difference too.

Zealstarwind

Jul 29, 2019
Steam ovens are pretty sexy, I stuck mine right onto the boiler with transposers dropping the items down into the furnace for fuel. Then again my oil spawns have been pretty nice, I've used liquid but will probably switch over to a solid system soon depending on how my oil lasts. I got oilfields in mystcraft so I may stick with it..

I'm pretty sure steam ovens use 1 bucket of steam per 9 items cooked. I've tried them and it's great for clearing out massive amounts of wood. I'd say a smaller boiler running 2 ovens would probably do yea fine.

ddejong

Jul 29, 2019

Did the math recently; it's 8000 mb per cycle, just over 30 mb/tick if you're running full time. So basically you're looking at replacing one industrial engine with a hobbyist's engine (or just leaving an engine out and ignoring the loss) for each steam oven a boiler is running, or replacing 3 engines with 4 ovens. They're slightly less energy efficient; a powered furnace could smelt 10 items with the amount of steam used for one cycle in an engine. The ovens are more compact and "cooler", though.

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
Did the math recently; it's 8000 mb per cycle, just over 30 mb/tick if you're running full time. So basically you're looking at replacing one industrial engine with a hobbyist's engine (or just leaving an engine out and ignoring the loss) for each steam oven a boiler is running, or replacing 3 engines with 4 ovens. They're slightly less energy efficient; a powered furnace could smelt 10 items with the amount of steam used for one cycle in an engine. The ovens are more compact and "cooler", though.

I built another boiler downstairs to power a bunch of ovens, 10 so far...pictures coming in a little while :D

Zealstarwind

Jul 29, 2019
nice, like them? and possibly transposers into an me network via me interface that auto feeds as well? It's a complex build you have to have a seperate me network for each area but it would work. I do something with my beeframes, I possibly could take out those bees with AE.

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
nice, like them? and possibly transposers into an me network via me interface that auto feeds as well? It's a complex build you have to have a seperate me network for each area but it would work. I do something with my beeframes, I possibly could take out those bees with AE.

Didn't get a chance to take pictures last night, got caught up in something else...will post an update today. But yeah, I'm liking them :D, it's amazing how many of them can be powered by a 36HP Boiler :)

I've just got them interfaced with the AE network via import/export bus's.