Blood N Bones [Hardcore Survival]

Anesos

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone got any good ideas on a mob farm to power the blood altar? I've been looking at different ideas and much is sufficiently nerfed...

- Dark room / cursed earth spawner will spawn special mobs that cause trouble (glowing armor makes light, ettins, spiders, etc...)
- Conveyor belts are on the grief list
- MFR auto-spawner requires dragon essence
- Cinder spawner sort of works, but no way to push them to the altar that I've found.

I have a couple that kind of work, but wondering if there's something better I could do.

IMarvinTPA

Jul 29, 2019
Can you put some
Anyone got any good ideas on a mob farm to power the blood altar? I've been looking at different ideas and much is sufficiently nerfed...

I have a couple that kind of work, but wondering if there's something better I could do.
Put some flowing spirit down next to the altar and regenerate as you bleed?
Do cobblestone golems work? Setup a pumpkin/cobblestone factory...

IMarv

Desman

Sep 23, 2014
Basic automation with a tree farm to produce charcoal and with Witchery coming up it's time to go bush and grab some ingredients.

BloodnBloody Idiot #22 - Tech and Trek

That is an interesting machine. I would skip the tree-growing thing myself though. With a lumber axe it's possible to farm so much wood that could be fed directly into the crusher from a chest.

Four jungle saplings give you a tall 2x2 thick jungle tree that yields like 3 stacks of wood. I'm also hoping to try that axe on those gigantic Plains trees, the ones that are nearly sky high. One of these should provide enough charcoal to cover the whole world in smog :)

- Dark room / cursed earth spawner will spawn special mobs that cause trouble (glowing armor makes light, ettins, spiders, etc...)
- Cinder spawner sort of works, but no way to push them to the altar that I've found.

Do cows or pigs work? Or does it have to be specifically other mobs? Because cows would be prety easy to sacrifice.

Last edited:

Anesos

Jul 29, 2019
Can you put some

Put some flowing spirit down next to the altar and regenerate as you bleed?
Do cobblestone golems work? Setup a pumpkin/cobblestone factory...

IMarv
I started with the self-sacrifice and spirit water, but you only get like half a heart back every 5 seconds or so. So it's really slow. Haven't tried golems yet. Hmmm..[DOUBLEPOST=1412652014][/DOUBLEPOST]
Do cows or pigs work? Or does it have to be specifically other mobs? Because cows would be prety easy to sacrifice.
Sacrificing hostile mobs gives 500 LP per kill. Passive mobs give 250, but are much easier to deal with. Yeah, animal sacrifice (man that sounds bad...) is one of the "sorta works" option. You still have to get them within 2 blocks of the altar, but that's easier than messing with hostile mobs.

MarcNemesis

Jul 29, 2019
I started with the self-sacrifice and spirit water, but you only get like half a heart back every 5 seconds or so. So it's really slow. Haven't tried golems yet. Hmmm..[DOUBLEPOST=1412652014][/DOUBLEPOST]
Sacrificing hostile mobs gives 500 LP per kill. Passive mobs give 250, but are much easier to deal with. Yeah, animal sacrifice (man that sounds bad...) is one of the "sorta works" option. You still have to get them within 2 blocks of the altar, but that's easier than messing with hostile mobs.

Have you thought about Nether portals? Same principle as a Blood Smelter. Enclose a Portal above or next to the Altar and close the surrounding arround so you can access the altar but mobs can't access you.

Note* I've never used Blood Magic yet so i have no idea how the altar work.

Anesos

Jul 29, 2019
Have you thought about Nether portals? Same principle as a Blood Smelter. Enclose a Portal above or next to the Altar and close the surrounding arround so you can access the altar but mobs can't access you.

Note* I've never used Blood Magic yet so i have no idea how the altar work.
Oh! Now why didn't I think of that one? I've even seen the blood in the smeltery thing. That may just be the best idea. Wonder how fast they spawn. Hmmm...

Oh and cows with a few MFR thingys and some conveyor belts look like they would work pretty well too. Of course then you need to feed it power, wheat, and wait for the babies to grow up. I think the nether portal might actually be easier and yield more LP anyway.

MarcNemesis

Jul 29, 2019
Oh! Now why didn't I think of that one? I've even seen the blood in the smeltery thing. That may just be the best idea. Wonder how fast they spawn. Hmmm...

Oh and cows with a few MFR thingys and some conveyor belts look like they would work pretty well too. Of course then you need to feed it power, wheat, and wait for the babies to grow up. I think the nether portal might actually be easier and yield more LP anyway.
There's only one downside to this plan. Doens't work outisde a certain range (which i don't know the exact ammount.)

Anesos

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, they only spawn if you're close enough and I think they might despawn is you're more than 25(?) blocks away like normal mobs, but not sure on that. Set it up in a test world and it seems to be quite slow. Like 2 or 3 per day spawning here. I guess if it's in your base you can let them spawn a while while you craft and do other things and then sacrifice.

And yeah, Golems appear to work too. Have to give it some more testing tomorrow before I build something for real.

MarcNemesis

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, they only spawn if you're close enough and I think they might despawn is you're more than 25(?) blocks away like normal mobs, but not sure on that. Set it up in a test world and it seems to be quite slow. Like 2 or 3 per day spawning here. I guess if it's in your base you can let them spawn a while while you craft and do other things and then sacrifice.

And yeah, Golems appear to work too. Have to give it some more testing tomorrow before I build something for real.
Another option could be (assuming it work) to set up multiple portal arround your base which feed blood to multiple tanks which in return you can collect later (quite easy to automate if you have the ressources). And use the Enhanced Nether portal(forgot the name o_O) to travel to the nether in order to avoid the congestion of multiple basic nether portal

This way, you have a constant blood supply. (That's assuming monster will spawn from multiple portal at the same time which i'm unsure.)

Edit: If you could let me know of your findinds, I'd appreciate it. If this work, i'll be making something of the sort ;)

Last edited:

krazy_kow

Jan 9, 2014
If you think you're ready you could fight the wither, make a MFR porta spawner and just grab yourself a skellie/spider spawner. You'd still have to be close to get spawns though.
Also, instead of conveyor belts, to get the mobs near the altar you can use TiCon slime channels which aren't on the grief list.

NunoAgapito

Jul 29, 2019
A clever usage of water streams and signals also do the work.

Sometimes we get so used to nodded MC that we forget the vannila tricks...

Sent from my CUBOT ONE using Tapatalk

gurior

Jul 29, 2019
Hi! New member here (I created an account just ot reply to you!).

I did some testing on this about 6-8 weeks ago :
My solution was your first option, the dark room / cursed earth.
But it must be made "perfect" (watch for giefable blocks). On my first try, I left a block of simple cobblestone on the roof. This made drowning creepers explode on it, wich created more cobblestone. Was a nightmare to clean up with the silverfish and all.
On second try, I made sure to make everything only of dirt/cursed eatrh, compressed cobble and hardned glass. Never had any problem since.
From time to time (I don't know what exactly, but glowing armor might be it) something catches fire. Then, burning cursed earth spreads like a wildfire and spawns plenty of cinders. Usually this only last 10-15 mins before almost everything burns up (in the mean time, you get no monsters spawns since light levels are too high. This is frustrating if you were waiting for your altar to fill up). Anyway, there is almost always a couple of cursed earth who survives, so it spreads back everywhere after a time.

I had a setting of a room about 20 x 20. The amount of blood you get from the ritual of sacrifice is just enormous. On a level 4 altar with around 20-30 runes of sacrifice, I made on the order of 1000 blood per second.
Plus, on the long run "mother spider" spawns, wich regenerate health by themselves quicker than it is sacrificed. depending on the size of your dark room, you end up with 10-15 "permanent" mother spiders who never die, and prevent other monsters from spawning. It is a nice equilibrium, and provide blood faster than waiting for monsters to spawn naturally.

On a side note, after my first containement failed (drowning creepers), i tried switching to passive mobs. My idea was to add a ritual of regeneration to heal them as they are sacrificed, while still being efficient in the long run thanks to the runes of sacrifice. However, this did not work because :
- The ritual of regeneration heals at half the rate at wich health is sacrificed (so chickens / cows/ etc. die)
- Multiple ritual of regeneraion do not stack on the same zone, so it is not possible to maintain the animals alive.

Finally, i might add that in the mean time of creating the dark room, i found that the most pratical way to fill your blood altar was to sacrifice villagers. if you can capture 2, you can build an "artificial village" with cobblesotne and doors somewhere in your base, then pick them up with a reusable safari net when needed. I had to do A LOT of sacrificing (and waiting for baby villagers to spawns back), but it was worth it IMO.

Edit : I also read somewhere on blood magic that sacrificing villagers is supposed to have "dire consequences", but I never noticed any.

There, sorry for the long post!

Last edited:

Anesos

Jul 29, 2019
Good info and ideas. I haven't done rituals yet so I was pretty confused for a bit there. Then I remembered the ritual of suffering or whatever it is and that makes sense. How big of area do you get with the ritual? With the dagger, the mobs have to be within 2 blocks of the altar.

gurior

Jul 29, 2019
Good info and ideas. I haven't done rituals yet so I was pretty confused for a bit there. Then I remembered the ritual of suffering or whatever it is and that makes sense. How big of area do you get with the ritual? With the dagger, the mobs have to be within 2 blocks of the altar.
Oh, yeah. sorry about the names of the ritual, i couldn't remember them by heart. Ritual of suffering Well of Suffering is what i meant.

The area is pretty big. You could look it up on info pages about blood magic.
From memory, for the ritual of suffering, i believe it affects every non-player creature within 10 blocks (vertically) and 15 blocks (horizontally) of the master ritual stone of the ritual of suffering.

If those number are right, that means you could built a Dark room 32 x 32 (or 30x30) underneath the ritual, centered on the master stone and it would work.
Also, if you really want to, you could even make several floor (i guess at least two would fit), but i doubt you wouldneed that much blood.

Keep in mind the Master stone also has to be within a certain distance of the blood altar too (can't remember how far, something like 10 blocks too)

Edit : Found a quick link : http://ftbwiki.org/Well_of_Suffering

Last edited:

Thorgan8

Jul 29, 2019
This discussion made me wonder about other mobs that you can spawn purposely and how you could use them. The result is a lobber farm.
It's just a 5x5 plane of quicksand with a source block of lava on top. Then a bucket of water, a hopper, and a chest for item collection. I let it run for a bit and I got about 3.5 coal per minute, 0.6 magma cream per minute, 0.5 blaze powder per minute and a couple of lava charges. Oddly enough a single source block of lava seems to spawn more lobbers than adding more of them.

Seems kinda useful in the early game.

Attachments

• lobber.jpg
    lobber.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 110

Desman

Sep 23, 2014
This discussion made me wonder about other mobs that you can spawn purposely and how you could use them. The result is a lobber farm.
It's just a 5x5 plane of quicksand with a source block of lava on top. Then a bucket of water, a hopper, and a chest for item collection. I let it run for a bit and I got about 3.5 coal per minute, 0.6 magma cream per minute, 0.5 blaze powder per minute and a couple of lava charges. Oddly enough a single source block of lava seems to spawn more lobbers than adding more of them.

Seems kinda useful in the early game.

That's genious! I tried it, and it works quite well. Apparently it also needs to have 3 air blocks above it, or they don't spawn.

I also captured one in a Safari Net, and dropped it into my smeltery. At 80hp, it gives 1240 blood and loot. I think some of the loot got destroyed though, because it set on fire the bottom center block of the smeltery.

Blargerist

Jul 29, 2019
Tinker's construct could really do with something that checks if the entity ACTUALLY HAS BLOOD before it goes giving you blood in the smeltery.... Why would a lava monster have blood?

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Tinker's construct could really do with something that checks if the entity ACTUALLY HAS BLOOD before it goes giving you blood in the smeltery.... Why would a lava monster have blood?

I'll add it to the list I'm making for boni :p

MarcNemesis

Jul 29, 2019
Edit: I'm MarcNemesis and i approve this message :rolleyes:

Seriously now, it should give lava at most.

Last edited:

MarcNemesis

Jul 29, 2019
Question: Are Natura Redwood tree enabled? I haven't seen any in 1.1.3 && 1.1.5 yet so i was wondering if they're enabled or not. (The tallest tree of 7x7 saplings.)