Blood N Bones [Hardcore Survival]

Minefrier

Jul 29, 2019
I tried disabling StatusEffectHUD form pack and now the error is in minecraft core.
java.lang.NullPointerException
at net.minecraft.potion.PotionEffect.func_76455_a(PotionEffect.java:186)
at net.minecraft.entity.EntityLivingBase.func_70679_bo(EntityLivingBase.java:605)
at net.minecraft.entity.EntityLivingBase.func_70030_z(EntityLivingBase.java:362)
at net.minecraft.entity.Entity.func_70071_h_(Entity.java:438)
at net.minecraft.entity.EntityLivingBase.func_70071_h_(EntityLivingBase.java:1781)
at net.minecraft.entity.player.EntityPlayer.func_70071_h_(EntityPlayer.java:342)
at net.minecraft.client.entity.EntityClientPlayerMP.func_70071_h_(SourceFile:46)
at net.minecraft.world.World.func_72866_a(World.java:2350)
at net.minecraft.world.World.func_72870_g(World.java:2311)
at net.minecraft.world.World.func_72939_s(World.java:2157)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_71407_l(Minecraft.java:1921)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_71411_J(Minecraft.java:910)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_99999_d(Minecraft.java:838)
at net.minecraft.client.main.Main.main(SourceFile:101)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.launch(Launch.java:131)
at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.main(Launch.java:27)
I can see someone else reported same error but their circumstances leading up to it are not known.
http://support.feed-the-beast.com/questions/9935/nullpointerexception-potioneffect

I reproduced issue in SP.
I set up a fight with a Trent.
After many hits I had no status effects on me. Not conclusive as I don't fight Trents often (this was the first one I'd seen in game)
then I blocked with my shadow steel sword and I saw the block animation. Did not see or hear any hit on me but client crash.
Now that SP world crashes on joining.
So I assume I can delete player data to get the SP world working but ouch

Edit:
Can not work out how to restore SP world once this happens. Deleted player data and still happens.

I tested vs various mobs and so far it's only Trent that it happens. Not related to blocking with sword. It's something that happens when hit - pretty sure it's a status effect.

I will try 1.12 as all previous tests were 1,.11. This is not a Blood N Bones issue I know but sometimes the best ideas come from the most active and inspired modpack. if nothing else - the posts might help someone else eventually.

DO NOT FIGHT Trents!

Last edited:

Gerald Huppertz

Jul 29, 2019
I reproduced issue in SP.
I set up a fight with a Trent.
After many hits I had no status effects on me. Not conclusive as I don't fight Trents often (this was the first one I'd seen in game)
then I blocked with my shadow steel sword and I saw the block animation. Did not see or hear any hit on me but client crash.
Now that SP world crashes on joining.
So I assume I can delete player data to get the SP world working but ouch

Had a friend report this same issue in a SP world he started a few weeks ago. Dismissed it as a one off, but it was the exact same scenario. He encounterned a Trents (one of the big ones) hit it twice and the game crashed. He was not able to get back into it. If he still has it I will have him try and delete the player.dat and see what happens.

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
How do these crashes/corruptions even happen? I've programmed alot in my life tho not a developer. take that into consideration.

Doesn't the api allow some sort of try/catch errors before they corrupt worlds/player.dat files? Is the problem to high level to manage (above the api structure, above forge, etc..)?

I can't play tppi at all cause there are some serious glitches re: AE that cause me extreme grief that ONLY happen in that pack which are the wierdest by far, but in BNB I've had world corruptions (ticking entity -- ALOT), and the occasional ctd with no corruption (or is there? may be something that creeps in and hits you later on...) It's these issues that I find the most frustrating when you're already fighting a steep learning curve trying to deal with the pack itself, then these outside forces happen, either forcing you to start over or goto a backup.

Might want to add aromabackup to this pack till all the mods become stable or something. That's what I do.

Minefrier

Jul 29, 2019
Had a friend report this same issue in a SP world he started a few weeks ago. Dismissed it as a one off, but it was the exact same scenario. He encounterned a Trents (one of the big ones) hit it twice and the game crashed. He was not able to get back into it. If he still has it I will have him try and delete the player.dat and see what happens.

I found the cause and a post from the modmaker about it.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic...d-hexen-and-more/page__st__2180#entry31112662

Basically, the status effect in some file is set to 0 causing the issue.
He plans to fix it in a new release but those of us already affected look to be doomed. Because we have been inflicted now with a status effect 0 which doe snto exist (only 1-23 in vanilla). I thought deleting my player dat in SP would fix it. I've probably not understood correctly so will look for posts about that.

SpyroTheDragon

Jul 29, 2019
So...I just started B&B today and im really bad at it. I need some tips. I just dig in for the night and then everything just stays around my hobbit hole and when its daylight a creeper sees me and blows me sky high. Any tips to get past the first night? im determined to try again as many times as possible before i break my laptop

Anesos

Jul 29, 2019
I found the cause and a post from the modmaker about it.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic...d-hexen-and-more/page__st__2180#entry31112662

Basically, the status effect in some file is set to 0 causing the issue.
He plans to fix it in a new release but those of us already affected look to be doomed. Because we have been inflicted now with a status effect 0 which doe snto exist (only 1-23 in vanilla). I thought deleting my player dat in SP would fix it. I've probably not understood correctly so will look for posts about that.
In SSP, your player data is stored in level.dat. It only uses player.dat as some kind of backup. Try NBT editing your level.dat and see if you can remove the status effect.

@SpyroTheDragon There is some information linked at the bottom of the first post in this thread. There are some video series (one of which is mine) and some other stuff. But short answer... try to blend in at first. Use only dirt / logs to build. No cobblestone. No planks. No slabs of any kind. The getting started guide Eyamaz posted may need some updates, but is still a good place to start.

silentrob

Jul 29, 2019
In SSP, your player data is stored in level.dat. It only uses player.dat as some kind of backup. Try NBT editing your level.dat and see if you can remove the status effect.

@SpyroTheDragon There is some information linked at the bottom of the first post in this thread. There are some video series (one of which is mine) and some other stuff. But short answer... try to blend in at first. Use only dirt / logs to build. No cobblestone. No planks. No slabs of any kind. The getting started guide Eyamaz posted may need some updates, but is still a good place to start.

There are two pretty huge holes in that getting started guide though... (other than the wood nerf that means you need twice as much to start.) First, you can no longer craft torches with just rubber. And second, you can no longer make charcoal from logs. Those two combined means it is MUCH harder to get torches for your first night dug into that hole...

That said, if you're lucky enough to find sugar cane on your first day, grab it! One sure in the furnace turns into sugar charcoal. It's not great for cooking other items, but it will get you your first couple torches (crafted along with one rubber and two sticks). The second trick is if you go to the second tab in your inventory, you can wear a torch on your head and it will light up around you. After that, you can mine down for some coal, which usually isn't too hard to find, but it's near impossible until you get that first light to start you out.

Anesos

Jul 29, 2019
There are two pretty huge holes in that getting started guide though...
True... There is a lot that's changed since it was written. Of course, if someone were to write up a better / updated one, Eyamaz might like it and post a link in the OP or something...

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
There is a section on the FTBWiki for BnB. All that is currently on there is my starting guide.

larae1929

Jul 29, 2019
There are two pretty huge holes in that getting started guide though... (other than the wood nerf that means you need twice as much to start.) First, you can no longer craft torches with just rubber. And second, you can no longer make charcoal from logs. Those two combined means it is MUCH harder to get torches for your first night dug into that hole...

That said, if you're lucky enough to find sugar cane on your first day, grab it! One sure in the furnace turns into sugar charcoal. It's not great for cooking other items, but it will get you your first couple torches (crafted along with one rubber and two sticks). The second trick is if you go to the second tab in your inventory, you can wear a torch on your head and it will light up around you. After that, you can mine down for some coal, which usually isn't too hard to find, but it's near impossible until you get that first light to start you out.
U can make charcoal still, it's just a bit longer process using a crusher first to make sawdust.

tetshio

Jul 29, 2019
I usually just turn cobblestone into stone sticks then use that for making a torch. At least I can use wood as fuel or something else :)

I tried to go over to the invader portal, saw zombies with helmets swimming fast, turned my boat around and said, Nope.

silentrob

Jul 29, 2019
U can make charcoal still, it's just a bit longer process using a crusher first to make sawdust.

Yes, but we were talking about the first day starting guide...

I usually just turn cobblestone into stone sticks then use that for making a torch. At least I can use wood as fuel or something else :)

Um.... why didn't I think of that yet. :)

There is a section on the FTBWiki for BnB. All that is currently on there is my starting guide.

/me goes to the wiki...
Guess it's time to set up a wiki account to start editing.

tetshio

Jul 29, 2019
Um.... why didn't I think of that yet. :)

And someone shared to me (cannaJan on youtube) that you can just mine stone bricks by making a chisel, turn the stone on the ground/cave into stone bricks, mine it with a pickaxe. No more smelting cobble to stone then convert to stone bricks.

SpyroTheDragon

Jul 29, 2019
ok one problem. All of you tips helped me. First what is green gas and why do it do what it do? And wheneven it becomes daytime i peek out of my hole and a creeper blows me up. EVERY SINGLE TIME. so i cant live at all.

larae1929

Jul 29, 2019
green gas is flammable I always knock down any torches as fast as I can and start mining a channel up to give it some where to go so it doesn't catch on fire lol. u can eventually build gas collectors and tanks to collect it and it can be used in lamps and piped for other machines but it does make mining tricky indeed! watch out for red gas too btw lol. make a base in the air then the creepers wont kill u as easily :)

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
I tried disabling StatusEffectHUD form pack and now the error is in minecraft core.
java.lang.NullPointerException
at net.minecraft.potion.PotionEffect.func_76455_a(PotionEffect.java:186)
at net.minecraft.entity.EntityLivingBase.func_70679_bo(EntityLivingBase.java:605)
at net.minecraft.entity.EntityLivingBase.func_70030_z(EntityLivingBase.java:362)
at net.minecraft.entity.Entity.func_70071_h_(Entity.java:438)
at net.minecraft.entity.EntityLivingBase.func_70071_h_(EntityLivingBase.java:1781)
at net.minecraft.entity.player.EntityPlayer.func_70071_h_(EntityPlayer.java:342)
at net.minecraft.client.entity.EntityClientPlayerMP.func_70071_h_(SourceFile:46)
at net.minecraft.world.World.func_72866_a(World.java:2350)
at net.minecraft.world.World.func_72870_g(World.java:2311)
at net.minecraft.world.World.func_72939_s(World.java:2157)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_71407_l(Minecraft.java:1921)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_71411_J(Minecraft.java:910)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_99999_d(Minecraft.java:838)
at net.minecraft.client.main.Main.main(SourceFile:101)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.launch(Launch.java:131)
at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.main(Launch.java:27)
I can see someone else reported same error but their circumstances leading up to it are not known.
http://support.feed-the-beast.com/questions/9935/nullpointerexception-potioneffect

I ran into the same problem awhile ago..... used NBT explorer to edit the level.dat found the player effect "0" and changed it to 1....... logged in and "woke up" with a bit of haste.

Reactions: Doctorious

tetshio

Jul 29, 2019
green gas is flammable I always knock down any torches as fast as I can and start mining a channel up to give it some where to go so it doesn't catch on fire lol. u can eventually build gas collectors and tanks to collect it and it can be used in lamps and piped for other machines but it does make mining tricky indeed! watch out for red gas too btw lol. make a base in the air then the creepers wont kill u as easily :)

I always use green gas to spawn the cinders. While digging, when I see green gas, I just cover it up quickly, put a torch nearby, break the block, run away and watch the hole burn. When it's calm, I go take a peek and normally cinders are there to snipe. They drop coal and blaze rods, sometimes fire charges. As for the red gasses, there are two versions? One is the exploding one and the other one is nitrous gas. The exploding gas is gonna take you by surprise sometimes, you don't know if it's underneath you or just in front of you when you see it. The nitrous gas doesn't look like it explodes but it's as nasty as it looks.