Blood N Bones [Hardcore Survival]

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

DigitalWino

Jul 29, 2019
Granted I know nothing, but as optifine is just a graphical enhancer, I can't see how it could have any effect at all. I mean installing a texture pack doesn't. So I think you should be fine, even if you kept it installed. I have however heard that it doesn't work w this mod pack (due to the version of part of it I assume). But again, I know nothing, if anyone says anything different from what I just said, believe them, not me.

fowlj

Jul 29, 2019
Optifine should be fine to add - it can cause graphical glitches under certain circumstances but nothing should be broken. I'm pretty sure that warning more than anything refers to mods that add actual content, because they wouldn't be subject to the minetweaking and such that the rest of the pack is. Someone probably knows better than I do, but I think permanent damage, if nothing else, is highly unlikely.

silentrob

Jul 29, 2019
The last two responses covered it pretty well, but I'll just say I believe the warning is more of a if things break (e.g. starts crashing) don't expect much in the way of support.

I see no reason not to add a mod or two as long as it doesn't really break the "spirit" of the pack.

W

WillThGreat

Thanks for all the responses. I'm going to go ahead and add it back because it helps out immensely with performance.

MarcNemesis

Jul 29, 2019
A few weeks ago, I added Optifine to the modpack. Shortly after figuring out that adding and removing mods wasn't supported, I removed it. Could there have been any permanent damage by adding and removing it? This just randomly popped into my mind. And I'm guessing if there is any damage, it can be resolved by simply redownloading the pack, and not tied to the save itself.
Personnally i've been using Optifine since 1.0.6 and didn't have any trouble what-so-ever with it. The only problem some would see to adding Optifine is that it make some lighting {<--edit instead of Lightning] better and you get a zoom function and perhaps other things i haven't thought about. But no gamebreaking matter as far as i'm concerned.

W

WillThGreat

I ran out of time to edit, so I put together a quick minisode in place of Episode 6. The events that took place were pretty tragic, but I fully expect more to come.

Blargerist

Jul 29, 2019
I ran out of time to edit, so I put together a quick minisode in place of Episode 6. The events that took place were pretty tragic, but I fully expect more to come.

Congrats on first death/getting your stuff back! I remember back when the Lycanite's Mobs configs were messed up, and anything from that mod (including kobolds) were occasionally force despawned....

Reactions: WillThGreat

sqitchy

Jul 29, 2019
Well today I finally died, but this time It was the worst death of all. Lava. To get right to the point I now have to remake my sweet ass tools again. The best metal I've discovered thus far is Damascus. Should I remake my tools from flint, or just go straight to Damascus? In other words, what is the best method of making new TC tools?

IMarvinTPA

Jul 29, 2019
Well today I finally died, but this time It was the worst death of all. Lava. To get right to the point I now have to remake my sweet ass tools again. The best metal I've discovered thus far is Damascus. Should I remake my tools from flint, or just go straight to Damascus? In other words, what is the best method of making new TC tools?
TIC tools are fire proof and despawn proof. Get the lava out of the way and get them back.

sqitchy

Jul 29, 2019
TIC tools are fire proof and despawn proof. Get the lava out of the way and get them back.

I wish, but I even went back to the place I died with magnet mode on and nothing came back. It was also near a mob spawner in an underground castle so something either took them and depawned, or ran away. Regardless its near impossible to go back without equal tools, and the damascus I used isn't that great. I just want to know if starting back from flint is a better method then going straight to the highest material available.

DigitalWino

Jul 29, 2019
I can think of no reason not to just go right back to the best material. I mean what would be the benefit of starting back at flint?

NunoAgapito

Jul 29, 2019
I wish, but I even went back to the place I died with magnet mode on and nothing came back. It was also near a mob spawner in an underground castle so something either took them and depawned, or ran away. Regardless its near impossible to go back without equal tools, and the damascus I used isn't that great. I just want to know if starting back from flint is a better method then going straight to the highest material available.
Yeah... dying with magnet mode causes some issues since the dropped items are magneted to "the void" where you are now. Only graveyards keep you safe from death with magnet mode and even them sometimes....

I would make them of flint and farm the levels and then upgrade to damascus. Gaining levels on higher tools is much harder...

sqitchy

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah... dying with magnet mode causes some issues since the dropped items are magneted to "the void" where you are now. Only graveyards keep you safe from death with magnet mode and even them sometimes....

I would make them of flint and farm the levels and then upgrade to damascus. Gaining levels on higher tools is much harder...
I feel like I'm over thinking it. I noticed when a tool gets haste from a level, you get a huge bonus once you upgrade to the next material. From a bit of testing I got a pick with 18 mining speed by time I got from Obsidian to Damascus metal and only was at adapt skill level.

I started with an Obsidian pick head, paper binding, and bone tool rod, then upon first level upgraded to Alumite pick head and tool rod. After the next level I upgraded to a Copper pick head, and left the tool rod Alumite. Next I went straight to all Bronze, then after that level changed the pick head to Iron. Keep in mind I got haste twice in this process, and put another haste as a modifier at this point. After I put the haste on I changed the pick head and tool rod to Damascus. Now I have a pick with adapt skill level, 18 mining speed, and 3 modifiers left over. I think from starting from scratch the end result will be better and gained faster.

sqitchy

Jul 29, 2019
Its weird though because I did this exact same process with my hammer but had less damage, and less durability then a hammer made right from Damascus.

MarcNemesis

Jul 29, 2019
Its weird though because I did this exact same process with my hammer but had less damage, and less durability then a hammer made right from Damascus.

That's your old tool soul's haunting you for not getting them back. Shame on you ^_^

On a more serious note now.. Someone posted a couple of pages back about that problem. But i can't remember the result o.-

Reactions: sqitchy

sqitchy

Jul 29, 2019
That's your old tool soul's haunting you for not getting them back. Shame on you ^_^

On a more serious note now.. Someone posted a couple of pages back about that problem. But i can't remember the result o.-
I think its the fact weapon damage and mining speed are completely different. I noticed when dealing with items made by the tool forge starting with anything less then Damascus isn't worth it In the long run. I also noticed if the Damascus hammer gets haste from a level, you wont get the benefit unless you upgrade it with one Damascus large plate or higher. I feel if I keep digging deeper ill find the method to creating the best TC tools possible.

sqitchy

Jul 29, 2019
I think its the fact weapon damage and mining speed are completely different. I noticed when dealing with items made by the tool forge starting with anything less then Damascus isn't worth it In the long run. I also noticed if the Damascus hammer gets haste from a level, you wont get the benefit unless you upgrade it with one Damascus large plate or higher. I feel if I keep digging deeper ill find the method to creating the best TC tools possible.

I actually think that's a bug. I can confirm that the pick axe and lumber axe both require a metal higher then what they are made from to get benefit from haste. At least for me I cant see the extra mining speed until I upgrade to the next level of metal.

sqitchy

Jul 29, 2019
I know 80% of this made no sense. Sad days :( I did figure out however if your going for mining speed its best to start from lower material. If your going for attack damage its best to make a new weapon of the highest available metal. For some reason upgrading sword blades doesn't increase the attack damage. If I had an iron sword doing +6 attack damage then upgraded it to damascus, it would still do +6 attack damage. How is this right? If I were to make a Damascus sword from only damascus it would have +9 attack damage. This means keeping your old sword when you get better metal is pointless. The weapon will always do more damage when it is freshly made from better metal.

DigitalWino

Jul 29, 2019
This might not be the case if what you're doing, but I've heard (on this thread) that there is some sort of bug where things don't display properly in the tool tips once you've started upgrading parts.