Blood N Bones [Hardcore Survival]

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Delgar3

Jul 29, 2019
It took me 11 Episodes and HOURS of playtime, but I finally made my first machine, it's so satisfying! Thanks for making a really solid and amazing pack Eyamaz! :)

dragonmaster0283

Jul 29, 2019
We just had the ticking world bit in our small server regarding the nether. I'm curious, would a some form of chunkloader to keep the nether loaded prevent the problem (as a minor workaround).

NinjaEnergy

Jul 29, 2019
A layer of water between your base and the outside should prevent the ender guys from teleporting inside, or at least it should i think...

melvik

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, i make skybase... When i got technology i return to surface. Then i maybee put grinders with upgrades to precious rooms in base, to achieve mob proof concept.

JeremyTheObscure

Jul 29, 2019
Anesos seems not to be having any trouble with a surface base in his LP. It just takes some defensive base design and a bit of vigilance.

sqitchy

Jul 29, 2019
A layer of water between your base and the outside should prevent the ender guys from teleporting inside, or at least it should i think...

Water isn't a good method anymore, only because of drowning creepers. They look for players, objects, or water, then explode creating a hollow sphere like object that's full of water and made from silverfish cobblestone. I had one explode behind me once. Out of nowhere it was dark, I was surrounded by cobble, and drowning in water. One of the deadliest type of creeper.

Quick sand is the way to go, but creepers will get stuck and blow it up so you have to constantly fix it. You could use poison, just don't fall in your own traps XD

JeremyTheObscure

Jul 29, 2019
OK, I have done some creative mode research. Based on my observations, Endercreepers do not target objects on the grief list that normal creepers and other types of special creepers do. Also, to address one of the proposed solutions, endermen and endercreepers WILL teleport through water blocks or water streams to get to valid teleport destinations, so encasing your base in water will do nothing to keep them out.

I have a couple of hypotheses as to how your base was compromised.

1) Invaders. These mobs are able to dig through blocks. They are personally chunkloaded, so you don't need to be at home. There are some defenses measures that can be taken to keep invaders at bay.

2) Vanilla Enderman griefing. Endermen could have teleported into your base and picked up blocks, compromising your defenses, and allowing other mobs to enter/spawn. This can be averted by using only two high ceilings or simply avoiding the use of enderman griefable blocks.

3) Ettin griefing. If an ettin manages to target you, they will break through "soft" blocks to get to you, including dirt. This may in turn compromise your defenses to other griefing mobs. It seems unlikely to me that the ettin could have targeted you in the scenario you described, however.

4) You missed a spawnable space when lighting up your base.

And, to address squitchy, creepers will not blow up quicksand simply due to being stuck -- only if they had targeted a player they then found themselves unable to reach, or if a griefable block is within their range. The other exception is doom creepers, which explode on death, without giving any damage to blocks. I am unsure if a dying doom creeper can trigger another type of creeper to explode and damage blocks.

EDIT:
An additional means of compromise, which probably isn't relevant here, is the possibility that an endercreeper can become aggroed by being looked at, which could possibly happen if you are AFKing in your base and one teleports in front of you. Also, I do not know if golems or other utilities mobs will target endercreepers, but if they do, that could also lead to an explosion.

Last edited:
Reactions: melvik and sqitchy

sqitchy

Jul 29, 2019
@JeremyTheObscure

You are actually correct. After reading this I thought about it, and realized I used cobble stone when creating my quicksand mob grinder.

I have it set up so the quick sand kills mobs, then at there feet is water transporting their drops into my base. The part where the water sits was made out of cobble, so creepers were trying to blow it up before death. Nice research :)

JeremyTheObscure

Jul 29, 2019
Water isn't a good method anymore, only because of drowning creepers. They look for players, objects, or water, then explode [...]
I do not believe it is correct that drowning creepers will target water, unless you speaking of an upcoming change in 1.1.4. In a creative mode test, I was unable to get a drowning creeper to target water, either stationary or flowing, while I was able to get them to target torches. This fits with my playing observations, as I have not noticed any drowning creeper shells targeting natural water blocks or streams.

mechlsd

Jul 29, 2019
Tip 3 is best Sky bases work!

Tip 2 you can mine, or strip mine. But do not cave and never use griefable block to patch the holes up, ie cobble. Learn to chisel mine and use brick to patch the holes up. Put torches on floor not on walls as mobs seem to sense them and blow-up on the other side.

You could also look at making sentries inside your base. But sky bases i have used have never had a enderman spawn in.

sqitchy

Jul 29, 2019
Here is a decent idea for a skybase. Keep in mind it was all dirt at first, but once you get the lumber axe you can make better walls (assuming its safe from mobs.

The left building is the living area. The small first floor is a mushroom farm, second is the smeltary area, third is the kitchen, chest, and enchanting room, and the roof is the garden also with cactus and sugarcane.

The building on the right is the barn. First floor are dogs, second is cow, third is pig, and the top is chicken. We also built 2 tree farms, one for food trees and the second for small vanilla trees. The area where you see jungle trees are for the bigger trees, and will be the witchery area. Eventually ill do the same thing above the food trees for blood magic.

You can see below the obsidian castle where we started, and my quicksand traps. I also use lava with a block above it to safely light the areas the base shade from the sun. Don't mind the wasteland biome. You can obviously see how much mobs love dried dirt XD

Attachments

• 2014-09-11_12.22.39.png
    2014-09-11_12.22.39.png
    929.7 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:

Mikhaila666

Jul 29, 2019
Eyamaz should put Enviormine back in, at least for the Physics effects :) Skybases fall down, go boom :)

Or be properly engineered :)
I do like the other enviormine effects though. Overheating, Hypothermia, insanity, thirst? All fun.

sqitchy

Jul 29, 2019
Don't worry everyone. "Soon" BnB 2.0 will be out, and your sky bases will no longer be viable. :p

Even then, I'll have no problem using the environment to my advantage :p All in all the feel I get from BnB is its extremely hard, but not impossible. If there is a problem, something in the land will cure it.

It would be really cool to have things get sucked into space at say, 100 blocks up. I would actually like to see that happen to my base ^-^ I like to build things then destroy them. You should have seen what I did to this build.

Attachments

• 2014-08-27_13.33.50.png
    2014-08-27_13.33.50.png
    747 KB · Views: 120

sqitchy

Jul 29, 2019
Or just make flying creepers. Better yet, make it rain flying creepers. Hell just make it rain giant flying creepers.