Blood N Bones [Hardcore Survival]

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

DigitalWino

Jul 29, 2019
I like to think of it as a nice relaxing break in what has been a horribly tense ride, before the crap really hits the fan... :)

Maybe instead of making it rougher, make more reason to go back to the over world. For example ONLY fantasy ores spawn in the dream world. So if you run out of iron or copper you gotta deal w the dangers of the real world.

Anesos

Jul 29, 2019
I was thinking it would be cool if you could only dream for so long and/or the longer you're dreaming, the worse the dream gets. Mobs start spawning, you get raind and thunderstorms and eventually the Nightmare spawns again and removes you from the dream.

However, I don't think any of that is possible with the mod today. But it seems like an interesting idea to me at least.

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
I was thinking it would be cool if you could only dream for so long and/or the longer you're dreaming, the worse the dream gets. Mobs start spawning, you get raind and thunderstorms and eventually the Nightmare spawns again and removes you from the dream.

However, I don't think any of that is possible with the mod today. But it seems like an interesting idea to me at least.
I'd argue that your body should not survive an extended stay in the dream world. Out of the scope of BnB, but if I'd written witchery I would have had overworld hunger continue during the dream.

Duplo52

Jul 29, 2019
I'd argue that your body should not survive an extended stay in the dream world. Out of the scope of BnB, but if I'd written witchery I would have had overworld hunger continue during the dream.
I'm not sure how one would be able to monitor that though? I mean even if you went on a time limit what's the raw standing still hunger drop rate cause that's how long you'd have in the dream. Why not have dream world hunger rate be twice as fast since you have 2x the growth with constant day? As for mobs maybe spawn neutral ones like spiders with chance to become hostile?

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure how one would be able to monitor that though? I mean even if you went on a time limit what's the raw standing still hunger drop rate cause that's how long you'd have in the dream. Why not have dream world hunger rate be twice as fast since you have 2x the growth with constant day? As for mobs maybe spawn neutral ones like spiders with chance to become hostile?
I wouldn't think it'd be hard for a mod author to create a formula based on your hunger and saturation levels when falling asleep. For the player I would argue that the threat of starvation, and having to carefully track your time would be an interesting complexity to add. I don't think the player should know exactly how long they have.

I'd also suggest that in many fiction works regarding entering dream worlds the risk of loosing your way, and never waking up have been common tension inducing elements. Such an element may well be a way to halt the dream world being a peacfull enviroment to setup a farm and stock supplies before returning to more brutal BnB environs.

Andri92

Jul 29, 2019
To anyone who might be thinking about relocating permanently to the spirit world and using enhanced portals to get in and out: don't do it.
If you get in any way other than using a brew of sleeping, the game sometimes crashes.
When it doesn't, you usually get a nightmare, not a dream.

whyrl

Jul 29, 2019
Why not have dream world hunger rate be twice as fast since you have 2x the growth with constant day? As for mobs maybe spawn neutral ones like spiders with chance to become hostile?

This. I was thinking decreasing the rate you get hungry in the nether and upping it in the dream world would be a good way to bring the two areas slightly closer in difficulty. I'd prefer a constant challenge than large spikes and dips. Especially since needing to leave base in search of items should provide plenty of tiny spikes.

@Andri92 Use a sleeping potion to enter the spirit world, then you're safe to freely use the portal. It only crashes when you try to enter the spirit world without being asleep. (Basically, the first time you ever enter the portal should be from the spirit side.) Also, there are ways of decreasing your chance at a nightmare (to 0% even).

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
This. I was thinking decreasing the rate you get hungry in the nether and upping it in the dream world would be a good way to bring the two areas slightly closer in difficulty. I'd prefer a constant challenge than large spikes and dips. Especially since needing to leave base in search of items should provide plenty of tiny spikes.
twice the hunger rate would have a trivial effect as in such a peacefull world you'd just build a bigger farm... without invaders or other crazed mobs forcing you to assemble defensive structures and carefully light everything what would limit that?

comparing a few normally passive mobs to the insane "carp" that runs rampant in Bnb, you must be joking....

Duplo52

Jul 29, 2019
The reason I suggested spiders is they will not burn in the endless daylight of the dream world. I suppose creepers and some of the lycanites mobs wouldn't burn as well.

Blargerist

Jul 29, 2019
This mod is really cool, but 150 mods, it's a little too big for my computer.
It's too bad we can't remove some mods, we can't make a Lite version by deleting techs mods.
Most of the mods modify things to make the pack play exactly how Eyamaz wants. While 150 sounds like a lot, it has no mods that could be removed without breaking the pack completely.

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
The reason I suggested spiders is they will not burn in the endless daylight of the dream world. I suppose creepers and some of the lycanites mobs wouldn't burn as well.
I think it'd be fun if like in a real life dream things can change suddenly and get real weird. perhaps a random chance of finding yourself falling upwards...... that'd help prevent large passive farms.....

You could also just have burnable mobs have an increased chance of spawning with hats while in the dream realm.[DOUBLEPOST=1408579093][/DOUBLEPOST]So, I wonder what features would be included in a Jam packed edition of BnB built around a bed and breakfast?

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
All wonderful ideas that sadly can't be implemented. I should have played with a few things inb4 moving things to the DW, but I wanted to get more players to explore the mod because I like it and it's feel. It wasn't until I moved fantasy ores from DD to DW that I found I couldn't force mobs to spawn there without intentionally violating the license (something I won't intentionally do.)

But don't worry.

Things look to be much much more interesting soon enough. Even some new additions to the tech trees if all works correctly.

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
All wonderful ideas that sadly can't be implemented. I should have played with a few things inb4 moving things to the DW, but I wanted to get more players to explore the mod because I like it and it's feel. It wasn't until I moved fantasy ores from DD to DW that I found I couldn't force mobs to spawn there without intentionally violating the license (something I won't intentionally do.)

But don't worry.

Things look to be much much more interesting soon enough. Even some new additions to the tech trees if all works correctly.
Yeah, many of the ideas would surely fall more in the purview of the witchery mod author then you as the pack author....... I wonder if he monitors this forum at all.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, many of the ideas would surely fall more in the purview of the witchery mod author then you as the pack author....... I wonder if he monitors this forum at all.

I tend to not ask devs to change things in their mods to fit something not of their ideal, but I may talk to Emoniph about the DW. Even without some of the changes I could make, certain things can break pretty much any pack that tries some semblance of balance.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Or perhaps you can get permission to change it for this pack?

That would require me ACTUALLY writing code, which will break everything. Permissions I receive to do things do not usually extend to having someone else do it either. So this answer doesn't really work.

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
I tend to not ask devs to change things in their mods to fit something not of their ideal, but I may talk to Emoniph about the DW. Even without some of the changes I could make, certain things can break pretty much any pack that tries some semblance of balance.
I have a hard time imagining the super peaceful, campy dream world experience being anyone's "ideal". I would think that mechanics to limit the amount of time people stay in that world would fit in pretty well..... but of course I didn't write Witchery.

I kind of like the idea of your body wasting away if you spend too much time dreaming.

DigitalWino

Jul 29, 2019
Or you can only be there as long as it's night time in the over world. You know, when you would normally be asleep. Or as a limit, only 8 or so game hours at a time, then you have to be up for 16.

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
Or you can only be there as long as it's night time in the over world. You know, when you would normally be asleep. Or as a limit, only 8 or so game hours at a time, then you have to be up for 16.
And what if upon entering the dream world, only the chunk in which your bed is located is saved. That way you can keep your enderchest and such but extensive mines and farms would be limited. Outside of the protected zone everything is regenerated.

I really like the idea of waking up one time in the plains, the next in the desert.... that would be a far more complex change though as I think you'd have to generate a new seed for every dream.