Blood N Bones [Hardcore Survival]

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Blargerist

Jul 29, 2019
I try to answer people if I can, politely. Unless someone is telling me what to do, then I'm not so polite. :p

I will be looking in BnB 2.x.x + in shipping Cauldron as the native server jar instead of forge server jar I normally make for FTB. This will allow me to tweak some server issues, provided better server support, and pre tweak things for 1click installs like CreeperHost provides.

BnB is designed, by nature, as an ssp challenge, not smp. Moving into mc1.7, I'm looking at redefining some things specifically for smp and can utilize bukkit plugins to do some of these things.

One example is the log off issue. I can utilize a bukkit plugin to set a live timer when a player logs out to keep their character loaded for a period of time after log out. Setting this timer to 5minutes effectively means the player spends half the night logged in and can't avoid death as easy. (This was used when Sevadus ran the BnB HC week event at the launch of the 1.1.x branch.)

Of course, bigger servers, like forsaken, may or may not retweak or add plugins based on the specific type of server being run. Anarchy servers, Faction servers, etc. all require the use of different plugins to make them happen.
This change is quite exciting. Perhaps it'll even get the Glenn's gas's world gen bug fixed. :p If you ever have any questions on the Cauldron end of things, I'm sure the Forsaken owner would be happy to help. I can get you some contact info if you like.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
This change is quite exciting. Perhaps it'll even get the Glenn's gas's world gen bug fixed. :p If you ever have any questions on the Cauldron end of things, I'm sure the Forsaken owner would be happy to help. I can get you some contact info if you like.

The world gen bugs, I believe, are fixed in 1.7.

silentrob

Jul 29, 2019
Pfft as if I remember the name. I'll find it though, and if I can't ill make it or have it made.
It wasn't what I was assuming anyways. I hadn't read your last response yet... That one is so much more evil than what I had been looking for. :)

In case anyone else is interested, I'd found a plugin that stopped time on the server when there was nobody logged on. It might not do much for larger servers, but if you only have a few players it stops everyone from logging off for 10 minutes to let the night pass.

Reactions: Eyamaz

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Ya, I seem to remember something about that. Was just using it as an example to make a general point. :p

Well I'll be working with @blood as much as possible to make it happen. Though I'll more than likely have to push updates at least once or twice a week in order to keep up with his crazy update pace. Updates will be much easier once I move everything onto bitbucket and be able to push an update much much faster.
Depending on how well it works, in testing at least, I may look at pushing that support to other... projects. I want to provide the best experience for all my users and utilizing Cauldron support is the next logical step. If we can get things rolling the right way.

W

WillThGreat

You felt slow because you were walking on sand. :p Clay spawns under naturally spawning lakes and rivers. You'll need to make a stone crusher to double ores when you finish your smeltery.
Oh ok, that makes sense. Thanks for the tips and information!

Mikhaila666

Jul 29, 2019
One example is the log off issue. I can utilize a bukkit plugin to set a live timer when a player logs out to keep their character loaded for a period of time after log out. Setting this timer to 5minutes effectively means the player spends half the night logged in and can't avoid death as easy.

I like that a lot. It forces play to be much more like SSP.

Blargerist

Jul 29, 2019
More of my unceasing questions!

Eyamaz, what's the reasoning behind the switch to Cauldron for bukkit plugins instead of just using forge mods/having mods made which do the same thing?

EDIT: Not that I'm against Cauldron, it's a reality of large server play. I'm just currently of the opinion that there is nothing that couldn't be done just as well in forge as bukkit.

DigitalWino

Jul 29, 2019
I guess I'm just a total noob, cause I have no idea what the log off bug or cauldron are....

I really like the idea of time just stopping when nobody is on. Mine will be a small server for friends only. No need to keep them on for 5 min (none of us are dicks like that and would log off just for night), but I don't want time and invaders (I'll be turning that on) to come kick people's asses while they're logged off.

NoOpen

Jul 29, 2019
I guess I'm just a total noob, cause I have no idea what the log off bug or cauldron are....

I really like the idea of time just stopping when nobody is on. Mine will be a small server for friends only. No need to keep them on for 5 min (none of us are dicks like that and would log off just for night), but I don't want time and invaders (I'll be turning that on) to come kick people's asses while they're logged off.

Pretty harsh to label anyone who use's legitimate techniques a "dick". Its like me calling you a dumbass for not being smart enough to take full advantage of a game mechanic

Sim...

Jul 29, 2019
It's been a blast so far and I'm definitely going to start a new series when the 1.7 release comes but for now, if your interested in how not to play BloodnBones (Well at least for the first few episodes anyway)...

Radid

Jul 29, 2019
@Radid glanced thro your error log and your memory is overburdened i would suggest these settings
Min memory= 1024 ,Max memory = 4096 ,Permgen =256
and these arguments taken from first post
-XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CICompilerCountPerCPU -XX:+TieredCompilation

hopefully you have at least 6-8 GB of ram cause you don't want to starve your OS either

Hi @Adarcer, thank you for the reply. I did change the Max mem to 4GB. I have 8 total so should be fine. wasn't sure where to change the min. I also changed the arguments. however, even with the changes it still crashed. http://pastebin.com/2Mid6Tm4. This time I didn't even get a crash report, just what's on FML log. The Java process just disappears along with my game...poof. It happens at different times; before Mojang screen, during Mojang screen, when loading map, after loading map. Usually if I can get in and play for 7 minutes or so then I'm good for a while.

I went and looked at your crash report and it matches mine from before I disabled my Glenn's Gases when trying to figure it out myself.

I had tried to do an OPIS logging but that crashed my game so thoroughly that I don't have automatic record of that crash, but what I did see clued me into Glenn's.

So definitely try disabling Glenn's.

IMarv

P.S. I wish the Applied Energistics stuff were not end-game. The food situation demands an ME system all on its own just to automate food preparation.

Hi @IMarvinTPA, thank you for the reply. I am willing to try that but I'm a bit skeptical just because I noticed this is also happening when I try to play other FTB mod packs

Blargerist

Jul 29, 2019
It's been a blast so far and I'm definitely going to start a new series when the 1.7 release comes but for now, if your interested in how not to play BloodnBones (Well at least for the first few episodes anyway)...

Welcome to the fray! You sound a little bit bitter. :p Lag spikes are probably from world gen.

You appear to be running v... 1.1.2? Certainly not the current(1.1.3). Why is that?

PS: That alarm was very loud.

Reactions: Sim...

Sim...

Jul 29, 2019
Welcome to the fray! You sound a little bit bitter. :p Lag spikes are probably from world gen.

You appear to be running v... 1.1.2? Certainly not the current(1.1.3). Why is that?

PS: That alarm was very loud.

Cheers. Don't worry bout that, when I don't sound bitter I usually just sound grumpy. :) Most of the stuff I grumble about I usually facepalm when I figure out why it was implemented that way.

I started in 1.1.1 or 2 -maybe earlier- if I remember correctly. Been recording for a while (15 odd episodes) but wasn't sure if it was ok to post YouTube in this thread. I mostly just record for myself and a few regulars who seem to like it.

Blargerist

Jul 29, 2019
Cheers. Don't worry bout that, when I don't sound bitter I usually just sound grumpy. :) Most of the stuff I grumble about I usually facepalm when I figure out why it was implemented that way.

I started in 1.1.1 or 2 -maybe earlier- if I remember correctly. Been recording for a while (15 odd episodes) but wasn't sure if it was ok to post YouTube in this thread. I mostly just record for myself and a few regulars who seem to like it.
Oh ok, makes sense. Just looked at the upload date on the video. :p

Andri92

Jul 29, 2019
@Andri92 Use a sleeping potion to enter the spirit world, then you're safe to freely use the portal. It only crashes when you try to enter the spirit world without being asleep. (Basically, the first time you ever enter the portal should be from the spirit side.) Also, there are ways of decreasing your chance at a nightmare (to 0% even).
Good to know. I tried it and it seemed to work fine. It was kinda funny, when I got back to the overworld my body was sleeping in the ground next to me.

Even so, I think what I'll probably do is make a big skybase in the overworld, so I can have mobs spawning. I'm going to mess with the Ritual of Gaia Transformation to have the nether and end biomes in the overworld, that plus cursed earth will make a fine all around spawning system, no need for auto-spawners :D

Sim...

Jul 29, 2019
Wondering what Eyamaz's plans are regarding Glenn's Gases and 1.7.

I'm a little conflicted on the gases. The explosions are horrifically extensive at times and while they add greatly to the danger and sense of foreboding I also feel the amount of damage they do takes away from the game a bit too much. Most of the dungeons I've explored have been totally wrecked which I find to be a bit of a downer.

It does kinda fit with the lore though, BnB comes before Agrarian Skies when the world is collapsing into chaos which eventually leads to everything being destroyed.

What do you folks think and Eyamaz do you have further tweaks in store?