Big Reactor Rotor question.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
Nice. So now we have a big power source. Big power storage. Bit fluid storage.
All we need is big power transfer.
And something to use that power on.

MadTinkerer

Jul 29, 2019
This is literally everything you need to know about big reactors other than how to exactly lay the multi-blocks out or use the rednet ports.

1) Bigger the reactor the more steam.
2) Cool it with Liquid Ender always.
3) The input and export ports for liquid/power have unlimited throughput (but most pipes except tesseracts do not).
4) That being said, if you just make the ports on your reactor and turbine touch (build them next to each other) No piping or tesseract required.
5) The above goes for recycling water as well once you fill your reactor once (make both input and output ports on reactor/turbine touch and you have a lossless closed system)
6) The number of turbines you need for max efficiency is always: Steam Value/25.
7) Use only Enderium blocks for rotor coils. The number you need will always be: Steam/54

I think they look really cool, but compared to the IC2 reactors, they are super simple and there isn't a lot of creativity involved in setting them up. Pretty much any 7x7x3 or 9x9x3 reactor that you throw together will put out 2000mb/steam unless you do something intentionally derpy like fill it with sewage, which means you have 33 coils and 80 turbine blades in your steam turbine, and the layout configuration variation is pretty much "Do I want to build it vertical or horizontal?"

Maybe if they add meltdowns in the future and a proper fuel breeding system that might change. But for now, other than the cool look factor, these are pretty boring :D

Frontrider

Jul 29, 2019
When i said it can handle closed system, I said that it can pump enough water out from the turbine to prevent it from wasting it.

Some technomany machines need enormous amounts of power to work at full speed.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
This is literally everything you need to know about big reactors other than how to exactly lay the multi-blocks out or use the rednet ports.

3) The input and export ports for liquid/power have unlimited throughput (but most pipes except tesseracts do not).
6) The number of turbines you need for max efficiency is always: Steam Value/25.
7) Use only Enderium blocks for rotor coils. The number you need will always be: Steam/54

I think they look really cool, but compared to the IC2 reactors, they are super simple and there isn't a lot of creativity involved in setting them up. Pretty much any 7x7x3 or 9x9x3 reactor that you throw together will put out 2000mb/steam unless you do something intentionally derpy like fill it with sewage, which means you have 33 coils and 80 turbine blades in your steam turbine, and the layout configuration variation is pretty much "Do I want to build it vertical or horizontal?"
2) would it be wrong to use Resonant Ender or Liquid Cryotheum? i personally use Shiny metal blocks and don't care.
6) you made a little mistake, which made it look like you're talking nonsense. steam/25 is the number of turbine blades needed to harvest that steam.
7) and what should i use if i don't have enderium blocks?

being big and cool-looking is half of the appeal, the other being not generating RF instead of EU and quite high output.
somewhat small reactor can get you 2000mb/t of steam, but what are you gonna do with it if you don't have cyanite?
if you want turbine ASAP you want a fuel inefficient reactor running first, and that thing i'd gladly filled with any heat isolator would it be sewage or lava if that was an option.

additional tip: a rod touching a wall is better than wall touching air, but it's even better if it's touching coolant(liquid redstone, resonant/liquid ender, cryotheum. metal and diamond block work too). unless you build it specifically to generate cyanite.

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
1) Bigger the reactor the more steam.

Add on: Flat reactors make the most fuel efficient reactors.

Are you aware of the radiation mechanics? A much better statement is: "Cool with Resonant ender adjacent to the walls, Cool with Gelid Cryotheum everywhere else". Or alternatively graphite blocks and those are just some charcoal![DOUBLEPOST=1408285126][/DOUBLEPOST]
additional tip: a rod touching a wall is better than wall touching air, but it's even better if it's touching coolant(liquid redstone, resonant/liquid ender, cryotheum. metal and diamond block work too). unless you build it specifically to generate cyanite.

Reverse this, using a tall reactor with a single fuel rod and air between the rod and walls makes for a perfect cyanite generator.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Reverse this, using a tall reactor with a single fuel rod and air between the rod and walls makes for a perfect cyanite generator.
from what i remember 2x2 core wastes fuel faster than 1x1. it's also a good idea to add coolant port, for additional core heat.

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
from what i remember 2x2 core wastes fuel faster than 1x1. it's also a good idea to add coolant port, for additional core heat.
Or if you use 0.3.2? just use the sand + yellorite recipe to craft cyanite...

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Or if you use 0.3.2? just use the sand + yellorite recipe to craft cyanite...
thanx for sharing this info. but now i feel kinda empty for wasting time to design cyanite generator >_>

edit. cyanite recipe was added in 0.3.4A.

Last edited:
Reactions: PierceSG

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
The Question is this.

Am I doing it right?

4cbef82409.png

Try to understand I'm new to this mod and I don't know what information is relevant. Tell me what information you need and I'll get it.

Please explain like I'm five.
When you design your turbines you need to balance the number of blades and number of coils to the steam you have available in order for the turbine to run at the proper RPM. The turbine is by a large factor(something like x2 if you stay within +-100 RPM) most efficient at 900 and 1800 RPM.

To do this you can use this spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...TUxOUGxMRlpERWtPMmtGT213bmc&usp=sharing#gid=1
As you can see by it(second page, scroll down to the Enderium coil results), your turbines with 72 blades and 3 coils is rather imbalanced. You should aim for something like:
70 blades, 4 coils, 1732 mB/t @ 1800 RPM
or
70 blades, 8 coils, 1736 mB/t @ 900 RPM

(always go for the 1800RPM builds IMO as they are far more material efficient)

And like everyone else say: put some coolant in that reactor. Cryotheum if you can afford it, Resonant ender if not(almost as good). You will see a huge increase in output/efficiency.
It is important to note that Big reactors produce RF/steam by heat from the core reaching the casing of the reactor. In this term "cooling" is probably a bad term to use(it indicates that the heat is something you need to get rid of), "Conductive material" is a more apt description. The conductive materials allow for more of the heat from the core to reach the casing and thereby create RF/steam.

Also I would suggest that you move your controls rods apart so they have 1 block gap between them to better facilitate cooling. Your reactor is REALLY big for a active cooled reactor and can produce a LOT of steam. You might as well use that to increase efficiency instead.

Last edited:

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
Ive added @Succubism 's Reactor to my sheet in a seperate tab. Showing the effects of uncooled (as shown in the OP), cooling with graphte blocks(cheap!), cooling with resonant ender, cooling with resonant ender and graphite between the rods, cooling with cryotheum and cooling with ender and cryotheum between the cores.

Of note are:
  • Filling the reactor with cheap Graphite Blocks increases steam generation by 316.5% while reducing fuel consumption by 34.5% for a massive 535.8% increase in efficiency.
  • Full Gelid Cryotheum beats full Resonant Ender.
  • Resonant Ender adjacent to the walls and rods and Gelid Cryotheum between rods gives the best results, altough barely because of how hot the reactor is. It could realy benefit from an additional layer of cooling between the walls and cores.
Picture of how to place the cooling. Note that there are 9 pillars that can be annything, I used glass.
GKAoXPL.jpg

Last edited:

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Ive added @Succubism 's Reactor to my sheet in a seperate tab. Showing the effects of uncooled (as shown in the OP), cooling with graphte blocks(cheap!), cooling with resonant ender, cooling with resonant ender and graphite between the rods, cooling with cryotheum and cooling with ender and cryotheum between the cores.

Of note are:
  • Filling the reactor with cheap Graphite Blocks increases steam generation by 316.5% while reducing fuel consumption by 34.5% for a massive 535.8% increase in efficiency.
  • Full Gelid Cryotheum beats full Resonant Ender.
  • Resonant Ender adjacent to the walls and rods and Gelid Cryotheum between rods gives the best results, altough barely because of how hot the reactor is. It could realy benefit from an additional layer of cooling between the walls and cores.
Picture of how to place the cooling. Note that there are 9 pillars that can be annything, I used glass.
GKAoXPL.jpg
You really should remove some of the Fuel rods to get the "cooling" material(conductive material) in and hit more than 2 faces on the rods(while still keeping the rods orthogonal to each other to irradiate each other) or use it for another "jacket" layer.

The reactor is grossly over dimensioned as it could supply steam for 13 max size turbines...

Last edited:

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
You really should remove some of the Fuel rods to get the "cooling" material(conductive material) in and hit more than 2 faces on the rods(while still keeping the rods orthogonal to each other to irradiate each other) or use it for another "jacket" layer.

The reactor is grossly over dimensioned as it could supply steam for 13 max size turbines...

Yeah, its also build upwards, so its never going to be the best reactor. This was just to show the effects of adding some coolents to the existing design.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Well, that thing must be able to give power while generating cyanite.

i'm note sure where the must came from. it can produce power if you don't maximize cyonite generation speed. full on cyonite generator doesn't produce power at all, because it's an active cooled reactor with 0 water supply.

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
i'm note sure where the must came from. it can produce power if you don't maximize cyonite generation speed. full on cyonite generator doesn't produce power at all, because it's an active cooled reactor with 0 water supply.

Actually, actively cooled does not increase fuel consumption (not even if full on steam and no water). So no, its not an actively cooled reactor and can indeed generate RF in the process.

MadTinkerer

Jul 29, 2019
Add on: Flat reactors make the most fuel efficient reactors.

Are you aware of the radiation mechanics? A much better statement is: "Cool with Resonant ender adjacent to the walls, Cool with Gelid Cryotheum everywhere else". Or alternatively graphite blocks and those are just some charcoal![DOUBLEPOST=1408285126][/DOUBLEPOST]

Completely unnecessary and over complicated. The fuel ratios with just dumping a few buckets of liquid ender in any reactor are only marginally worse than the best composition of other materials you can think of, certainly not enough to warrant caring about it. You'd actually have to go out of your way to make a poorly performing reactor if all you did was put liquid ender in it precisely because it's reactivity is so high compared to other materials.

Maybe if fuel was an issue and you needed every last precious drop I could see it, but a simple 9x9x9 passive reactor (5 cores, liquid ender) will power a MFR laser drill setup well enough on it's own to net about 10x as much fuel as it consumes in Yellorium, as well as other minerals of course.

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
Completely unnecessary and over complicated. The fuel ratios with just dumping a few buckets of liquid ender in any reactor are only marginally worse than the best composition of other materials you can think of, certainly not enough to warrant caring about it. You'd actually have to go out of your way to make a poorly performing reactor if all you did was put liquid ender in it precisely because it's reactivity is so high compared to other materials.

Maybe if fuel was an issue and you needed every last precious drop I could see it, but a simple 9x9x9 passive reactor (5 cores, liquid ender) will power a MFR laser drill setup well enough on it's own to net about 10x as much fuel as it consumes in Yellorium, as well as other minerals of course.

Overcomplicating things? o-O Thats IC2's job!

Annyway, please dont assume MFR being present. With that mod all sence of balance is gone. And what your seeing is not an issue with Big Reactors, but the insane strength of the auto spawner and laser drill.

Reactions: MigukNamja

RenzosNips

Jul 29, 2019
Annyway, please dont assume MFR being present. With that mod all sence of balance is gone. And what your seeing is not an issue with Big Reactors, but the insane strength of the auto spawner and laser drill.
With careful use of configs, MFR isn't overpowered (AS, anyone?) (I'd even go as far as saying it would be balanced with 2x energy consumption but....). With careful use of configs, any mod can be OP.
I mean, hell, I'm debating on using Minetweaker to use IC2 again, as a challenge.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Overcomplicating things? o-O Thats IC2's job!

Personally don't find the laser Drill to be OP tbh. It is merely the lazy persons(including me) solution that requires something like 10-100x the power to do what normal Quarries etc. do, but without the need to reset them once in a while. And it is server friendly.

What might be OP in my book is the increasing ease of which you can produce ever increasing amounts of RF. Would actually welcome that mods took the IC2 approach to power and made it harder/a challenge to produce power on large scales.

But as anything, this is just my personal opinion.

Reactions: MigukNamja