Best Mod Pack For Adventuring?

KaosRitual

Jul 29, 2019
I would love [to make] an adventuring pack, myself, but there's two major problems - there's no long-term benefit to far field adventuring, and technical issues. Perhaps if we had some sort of mod that generated more exotic structures/offered better rewards based on combined coordinate value (abs(x+z), higher result=better worldgen/rewards) this would give some incentive to venture further out into the world. Unfortunately, because of how worldgen works many servers instead make fixed borders, so exploring becomes virtually impossible. Flight also makes exploring a trivial matter, because there's absolutely no challenge if you just fly over everything. Sadly, most popular mods offer some form of limited or unlimited flight ability. Teleportation/'return home' functions also make adventuring much less challenging, and the latter still anchors the player to a central spot.

One mod included in 1.7 Unstable that could make adventuring much more viable is RandomThings and its Spectre Dimension. It's a (I believe) 14x14x14 personalized space that you can teleport into/out of at will using a key. Players can thereby store important items/machines/etc. here and yet still go adventuring without too much worry about losing things.
What happened to Hack/Mine? That had areas which scaled depending on how far away from spawn you were, with stronger mobs and better loot.

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
What happened to Hack/Mine? That had areas which scaled depending on how far away from spawn you were, with stronger mobs and better loot.
Quick web search indicates it was only for technic/tekkit, and retired many versions ago. Someone on the MC forums was trying to revive it but last 'official' update was in May, looks like. Sounds like more of a TC mod than a standalone mod that could be used with Forge... :(

Virgoddess

Jul 29, 2019
I would love [to make] an adventuring pack, myself, but there's two major problems - there's no long-term benefit to far field adventuring, and technical issues. Perhaps if we had some sort of mod that generated more exotic structures/offered better rewards based on combined coordinate value (abs(x+z), higher result=better worldgen/rewards) this would give some incentive to venture further out into the world. Unfortunately, because of how worldgen works many servers instead make fixed borders, so exploring becomes virtually impossible. Flight also makes exploring a trivial matter, because there's absolutely no challenge if you just fly over everything. Sadly, most popular mods offer some form of limited or unlimited flight ability. Teleportation/'return home' functions also make adventuring much less challenging, and the latter still anchors the player to a central spot.

One mod included in 1.7 Unstable that could make adventuring much more viable is RandomThings and its Spectre Dimension. It's a (I believe) 14x14x14 personalized space that you can teleport into/out of at will using a key. Players can thereby store important items/machines/etc. here and yet still go adventuring without too much worry about losing things.

What's the long term benefit of tech packs? Bigger machines? More production? More power? And then?

Are you being forced to teleport or fly? If not, I don't see the issue there.

There are plenty of mods out there that put a big emphasis on progression (like Divine RPG, Thaumcraft, etc). It's as important as *you* make it.

I can't say I've ever played Minecraft in any form with an end game in mind, and MC itself doesn't really have an end game/goal.

Anyway, back to the OP: Hexxit released a beta build for 1.6, and are "close" to releasing a 1.7.10 version. That is probably one of my favorite modpacks to date. It's a really good fit for my playstyle and I'm hoping FTB tries something similar in the future.

Reactions: RedBoss

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Take a look at custom ore gen mod [http://customoregen.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Main_Page]
Use it to limit certain ore into certain biomes, so its more worthwhile to explore the world to get the minerals you're looking for.
(so Diamonds only occur in mountains or tagia, and iron only appears in the desert.)
Also turn off the minimap mods, and don't use the coordinates; navigate using in-game stuff only and exploring gets a little more interesting than '300 blocks until waypoint X'
If you're feeling brave theres a few ways to disable beds and randomise your respawn pattern- you'll wake up in a different location every time you die.

Virgoddess

Jul 29, 2019
I downloaded Hexplore It yesterday - what a fun (and terrifying) pack.

I haven't been afraid to leave my starting cave since I first started playing MC - and this pack made me scared again. So a huge thanks to whomever recommended it.

nvrsbr

Jul 29, 2019
I downloaded Hexplore It yesterday - what a fun (and terrifying) pack.

I haven't been afraid to leave my starting cave since I first started playing MC - and this pack made me scared again. So a huge thanks to whomever recommended it.

Was me that recomended it... yeah its a scary pack thats for sure.
You did the right thing by just starting a cave and sticking to it.
Do not go out at night, you will die and quickly too :D

One of the best Adventure Packs out there by far.

CaptPanda

Nov 20, 2012
Britland
If I ever get round to making custom worldgen, I think I can release a pack that may be what you're looking for. But I'm blowing my own horn on something I may not even get round to doing, so iunno. If I find a mod that can let me add subterranean features to custom worldgen I can do things.