Best food source?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
The one problem I have with golems is that they're difficult to control. You can stop the wood golem gatherer by blocking access to the output chest with pistons, but is there any way to automatically stop the straw golem from harvesting crops when the output is full? I've been thinking about some one-way passages I could block, but the golem is mostly moving from crop to crop, and it's difficult to force him into a specific place. How do other people deal with this? Or do you just let the farm running and leave drops on the ground? (While working in the "will not crash the server" sense as they will eventually despawn, still a messy solution. And I don't like messy.)

Have you tried making a golem trap? if the output chest is full, then use a piston and a pressure plate to trap the little bugger in a 1x3 channel next to the chest.
I havent actually done anything serious with golems yet. instead preferring forestry farms mostly. Altho my latest build will have gardens that will also double as my food farm until i get some automation going.[DOUBLEPOST=1361465727][/DOUBLEPOST]
Don't think about trying to automatically stop your straw/wooden golem team. Think of, instead, them, and the farm, as a large multiblock structure that constantly puts out certain amounts of resources in a way that you cannot control (easily, and for this thought exercise, at all). Now, instead, you need to move that control up the line. Have your multiblock farm machine output (in this example) wheat and seeds into a chest in the middle. Have that pumped upwards into a redpower2 filter which will pull stuff out of the chest into a tube network which fills barrels. Use a restriction tube at the end of the network that, when all of the barrels for the type of item is full, leads into a filter aimed at a lava source block (which has been claimed to work identical to void pipes in load because of the way redpower2 deals with that type of action).
he. that would also work i guess. them golems are kinda cool looking, and they do make a base look less empty.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
Don't think about trying to automatically stop your straw/wooden golem team. Think of, instead, them, and the farm, as a large multiblock structure that constantly puts out certain amounts of resources in a way that you cannot control (easily, and for this thought exercise, at all). Now, instead, you need to move that control up the line. Have your multiblock farm machine output (in this example) wheat and seeds into a chest in the middle. Have that pumped upwards into a redpower2 filter which will pull stuff out of the chest into a tube network which fills barrels. Use a restriction tube at the end of the network that, when all of the barrels for the type of item is full, leads into a filter aimed at a lava source block (which has been claimed to work identical to void pipes in load because of the way redpower2 deals with that type of action).
Sure, but this is exactly what I am trying to avoid: a large amount of a resource being created (at an expense of non-significant computing time) only to be immediately discarded. I like building systems that shut down and maintain minimal footprint when they're no longer needed.

Have you tried making a golem trap?
That traps the wood golem. The straw golem never gets to the chest.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
If you have Reliquary installed (I know Direwolf's pack has it), try the glowing bread. 3 glowstone, 3 bread and some other (cheap, I think) reagents gives three glowing bread, each of which can max out your hunger bar.

However, I like that melons (and cookies) let you regenerate constantly without having to waste food all the time. Not a problem with a quantum suit, however.

jnads

Jul 29, 2019
Remember that there's not only Hunger Points (20), but also a hidden Saturation Value (20). Remember, saturation is like "bonus hunger", as it decreases FIRST before hunger disappears.

Meat is the best vanilla item, as it restores 12 Hunger Points and 12 Saturation. I use a Soul Shards Cow/Mooshroom farm.

If you want to keep Saturation maxed, IC2 Canned Food restores 1 Hunger Point, 1 Health, and 20 Saturation. The bad part is then you have to waste an inventory slot for the empty cans.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
i would say tier 5 cow spawner through lava: infinite cooked steak
I have one now, Soul Stealer enchant is awesome. But int he process of getting the shard to tier 5 i'm topped out on steak. i have stacks and stacks of steak. and my golem farm is full of wheat and carrots.

Golem farms from Thaumcraft are definitely the way to go. Run a quarry so u have research materials and get into golemancy.

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
Potatoes with straw golems harvesting and quips golems placing in chests. You can then automate the cooking bt having a whatever type of golem it is dump them into an infernal furnace.

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
The one problem I have with golems is that they're difficult to control. You can stop the wood golem gatherer by blocking access to the output chest with pistons, but is there any way to automatically stop the straw golem from harvesting crops when the output is full? I've been thinking about some one-way passages I could block, but the golem is mostly moving from crop to crop, and it's difficult to force him into a specific place. How do other people deal with this? Or do you just let the farm running and leave drops on the ground? (While working in the "will not crash the server" sense as they will eventually despawn, still a messy solution. And I don't like messy.)

If whatever storage I use for food products gets full I just put away the golems until I need them again.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
My favorite foodstuff is carrots. They fill around 2 food bar, so I don't feel like I'm wasting them if I eat them whenever (unlike steak and potatoes), as I'm in mindcrack, any extra carrots can be converted into methane for power.

Predatorkillol

Jul 29, 2019
i like popcorn due to its high saturation but end game you either want ambrosia or triple meat treats due to they're regen buff and a decent hunger supply

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
i like popcorn due to its high saturation but end game you either want ambrosia or triple meat treats due to they're regen buff and a decent hunger supply

By end game, you likely aren't taking all that much damage, well, ever so I'd think canned food with the quantum helmet would make the most sense for ease of use.

DRH1469

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't found myself with any food problems recently, but my normal answers echo those given above.

Additionally, if you have regular access to bones, one of the 'bread machine' devices (which might even be easier to make now with redpower...dunno) to plant, bonemeal, and then harvest wheat/potatos/carrots is a good thing to add to your house.

I made one for my server a long time ago, it was awesome, the only thing was getting the bones, I suck at PVE and PVP so is there like an exploit for bonemeal? Like there is an exploit for blaze rods? If not what wold b the best way of getting bones?

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I made one for my server a long time ago, it was awesome, the only thing was getting the bones, I suck at PVE and PVP so is there like an exploit for bonemeal? Like there is an exploit for blaze rods? If not what wold b the best way of getting bones?
The best way I've found to get bones is a mob tower or a skeleton spawner. I've been ridiculously lucky in the past with getting bones by the stack. A single stack of bones will make food for a looong time ;)

jelto365

Jul 29, 2019
You can grow mellon and put on the side some terrain smasher from thermal expansion and place blocks on all the other sides from the mellon seeds. the mellons wil grow on the terain smashers and than be broken and pumped into some pipes
you can then pump them into a barrel and you wil always have enough food

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
You can grow mellon and put on the side some terrain smasher from thermal expansion and place blocks on all the other sides from the mellon seeds. the mellons wil grow on the terain smashers and than be broken and pumped into some pipes
Pssssst. I think his question was answered a year ago
On a serious note baked potatoes are good

Reactions: RedBoss

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
Bit of a necro there this thread is almost 12 months old.
For me I go with berries\bread to baked potatoes to triple meat treats from Thaumcraft.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
Relevant:
image.jpg

Also evolve your farm, replace that potato farm with a treefarm! Produce wood power and apples!

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Time for me to jump on the necro-wagon!

One thing I haven't seen mentioned here... An item I believe is called "crops".

These work with mostly vanilla items to my experience. the recipe is 4 sticks arranged like you were crafting boots and result in 2 "crops". These are placed on tilled ground before planting and resemble the stakes used to support new plants.

Benefits are a slightly faster grow time and if you right-click to harvest you get 0-4 random harvest/plant -and- the plant remains to grow again... no need to replant.

Another benefit is you can use them with reeds. The difference between "cropped" and vanilla reeds are that you use tilled ground with "crops", can plant reeds in a second row from your water source, and get 0-4 random harvest/plant. The reed also remains planted and when fully mature is 1 block high.

I support myself on 3x3 plots of carrots, potatoes and wheat quite easily, building up a huge surplus if I harvest regularly.

[edit] one warning... a "Crop" without a desired plant in it will grow, for want of a better term, weeds. If left alone these weeds will revert surrounding tilled soil to grass blocks, destroying crops.

I've found it safer to not install the "Crop" until I'm actually planting. Also you will need to watch your first wheat patch closely until you harvest the full field the first time.

Apparently some bad seeds are gathered with the wheat and will grow as weeds. Once I've harvested from a plant it's always been wheat from then on.

Last edited: