Besides MC, what have you been playing lately?

Growle

Jul 29, 2019
Just thought I'd start this up, if there's a similar one already I apologize.

I've always been into online games so lately I've been trying out a few of the ones available through steam or that I find through ads and such. They are as follows:

Star Conflict: Always loved space games and this one is surprisingly fun and free. The pvp is a main attraction here and I don't normally like too much pvp...I guess you can liken it to World of Tanks in space (WoT is fun too).

Defiance: Paid for it on release but still haven't put a whole lot of time in. Friends said they were going to buy and out of the 5 that did, i'm the only one that actually forked over cash heh...traitors! Anyway, game is fun and reminds me of fallen earth + borderlands. Social aspect of the game needs help, most of the time it's easier / more fun to solo than to run with another person. Cash shop is there but offers mostly skins...if you get into the game you might eventually buy one because you don't get armor upgrades that change your look like in other games, and I personally like visual changes to my characters.

Tera: Played since beta up until going free, good game but I was burnt out near the transition...May go back to it later

Vindictus: Friend got me into it and it was enjoyable for a free mmo. Not much exploration though, as the dungeons are all instanced and mostly easily soloable. Characters look nice, but very limited since their classes are gender locked (i.e. female mage, female dual sword wielder, male archer etc.). Cash shop seems mostly tame but pricey, and if you want special character creation skins / hair / undergarments you have to pay more than necessary.

Dragon Nest: Similar to Vindictus but more cartoony, I actually enjoy the story / quests and the dungeons can be challenging enough to keep me interested. Biggest negative for me again is the cash shop, since they offer looks that should be available at character creation, and the quality of life improvements they offer are too handy...End game, some things are necessary so I don't know if this one will last long.

Scarlet Blade: Saw the ad for a mature mmo and clicked it, played for awhile through all the classes to see the gameplay and decided to uninstall it a few days ago. Nice visuals, but it's a little over the top even for me. Story didn't keep my interest, but it was fun seeing how much LESS clothed the next armor set would make my character. Gameplay itself is ok, but I've grown accustomed to the more active combat in games like tera, vindictus and dragon nest. Tab target + button mash doesn't feel the same anymore. If all you want to see is nudity and scantily clad women, I'd skip the game and surf the internet.

Warframe: Didn't spend much time here, but in my experience, the concept and gameplay are fun. This one is best enjoyed with a friend, since you usually end up in a group of random people anyway. Yet another instanced mmo, but the menu made it interesting. Still, not enough to keep my interest so this one was uninstalled as well.

WarZ: Can't even play this anymore, company messed up too much to recover it seems. Between a tepid anti-hack and an overabundance of said hackers, your only option is to join a private server, and even that won't guarantee a hack free environment. I had fun playing this early on with friends, but its currently a mess. When the company decided to sell private servers, most people were shocked to see that they were selling off their public servers...as a result, you will see a few hundred EMPTY private servers and a handful (about 5-10) of public servers that are filled to capacity with either hackers or people intent on stealing your loot. Had potential, but ultimately ruined by poor management.

Reactions: Crappy_Paint

Moezso

Jul 29, 2019
Hardw[a]r: Pretty old game, sort of a survival/spaceship/mining/scavenging/build an empire kind of game. Definitely recommend a flight stick with a throttle to play it. You are stranded on a moon, with a little hangar and a little ship, which you have to upgrade by scavenging things to sell, or buying from one guy and selling to another for more, or bounty hunting space pirates, or being a pirate yourself, which will get the attention of the police, who have to be paid off or placated with a favor. There's 2 opposing gang factions in addition to the cops and pirates, and you have to watch out who you're friends with and who you piss off. There's some great cheesy cutscenes, and the goal is to eventually get off the rock.

Stronghold Crusader: Another old one, it's a RTS castle builder, which follows the saga of Richard the Lionheart vs. Saladin in the holy land, culminating in the battle for Jerusalem. The depth of the economy and the toughness of some of the AI lords are just great in this game. If you like flaming pitch-ditches, moats, and skies full of flying rocks and arrows, you'll like this one. There's an expansion with more enemy AI's and an extreme version which adds a couple new features and the ability to make MASSIVE armies, 10k+ troops. And it's not one of those "send in your troops and get a report afterwards" kind of games, you can micro-manage as much as you like, in real time, to fine tune your attack plan or defense strategy.

Reactions: Crappy_Paint

Growle

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm can't say I've tried either of those, although I do love games with space themes. I was recently looking for a good space game but it's hard finding one that can fill the shoes of freelancer, EvE Online, Homeworld, and Galactic Civilizations 2. I haven't played any of those in years, closest I came to playing anything similar was when I was checking out Sins of a Solar Empire, but I haven't even played that one... Some good ones on the horizon, hopefully they're worth purchasing.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles (I've been working on acquiring the Dreamcatcher.)
Plants vs. Zombies. Insanely fun tower defence game.
The Legend of Zelda: Insert Arbitrary Game from the Series Here.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Sacred 2:Gold
Awaiting sacred 3 and started playing a bit again. Great action type rpg.

Sword of the stars 2
I loved the old masters of Orion games and this is a great space strategy game along the same line.

Path of Exile
What Diablo 3 should have been.

League of Legends
Because? Pretty sure almost everyone has/does play this.

Civilization V
Have always loved the civ games.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Bigbrown987

Moezso

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm can't say I've tried either of those, although I do love games with space themes. I was recently looking for a good space game but it's hard finding one that can fill the shoes of freelancer, EvE Online, Homeworld, and Galactic Civilizations 2. I haven't played any of those in years, closest I came to playing anything similar was when I was checking out Sins of a Solar Empire, but I haven't even played that one... Some good ones on the horizon, hopefully they're worth purchasing.
Hardw[a]r (if you don't put the brackets you're spelling it wrong:p) is kind of a cult classic. Check out this site for info.

Also, on topic, I'm almost ashamed to say this, I still play Diablo 2 LOD sometimes. Single-player at that. I've farmed Meph and Baal so many times that the three of us have become close friends, and Deckard Cain was the best man at my wedding.

I tend to stick to older games because I make peanuts at my job and no one will sell me a decent PC for peanuts.

Redweevil

Jul 29, 2019
I have just re-bought Monster Hunter and dusted off my PSP *locks himself away to murder dragons*

LordBufu

Jul 29, 2019
100% World of Tank addicted here, if im not building/mining im shooting shells at other tanks ;)

Crappy_Paint

Jul 29, 2019
Recently got a new laptop and was able to try out a bunch of games I've wanted to play for ages.

Age of Empires III: Stays pretty true to it's "tried and tested" formula and the advancement in technology/time is a nice touch. Haven't had time to delve in to the depths of the missions yet and I've only just done the tutorials, but a good time waster for me in the future.

Civilization V: Again stay's true to it's origins and offers a lot of depth and different options. The graphics are absolutely beautiful, especially as I was able to get the most out of my graphics card. Played this for a solid five hours after installing it and didn't regret it. If you love turn-based games, this is a must have.

Team Fortress 2: Only played a handful of games but loved the fun and free FPS style. Can see it as one of those games I'll jump in and out of depending on how I'm feeling.

Orcs Must Die! 2: Bought this for an absolute steal (£3!) and have definitely not regretted it. Half way through the campaign as we speak and this has to be the best of the games I've installed so far on my laptop.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got some Orcs to stomp...

Reactions: NosePicker5555