Beginner's Guide to Blood Magic

Wraithflay

Jul 29, 2019
That's odd. But at least the witches work for you.

General question to everyone here: I'm thinking about including the information about witches in the main post. Should I do this, or leave it out for people to discover on their own? I'm currently leaning towards leaving it out, but I'm open for suggestions.
It's honestly your call. For all that I heavily favour magic in my mod choices, I'm a scientist at heart. I don't like experimentation until strictly necessary and will happily learn from others' mistakes and progress before acting of my own volition. That's why I haven't done any blood alchemy beyond what is strictly documented and necessary to summon demons/elementals; there's no documentation I've been able to find on the potion side of things, and I'm not about to blow up my lab in the name of experimentation.

As a result of all that, I lean towards the 'put it in' side of things, but it's your guide, not mine. You guys have been great about advice and tips, so I'm perfectly okay with leaving it out as well!

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, that was my first reaction. It's definitely getting the particles from the Master Ritual Stone and consuming the LP from my network, so it's activating for sure. Not really sure what's going on there, but I opted to try as hiroshi42 mentioned and plugged in a Witch Spawner instead. Can't say I'm sorry for the change, the drops are more useful to me at this point anyway!
Are you also sacrificing them (with the dagger) cause they shouldn't be dieing in just a well of suffering, that's why they are so nice. They heal the damage the well does and so unless they despawn (which can be mostly handled by a jailer net from MFR) they should stick around indefinitely.

That's odd. But at least the witches work for you.

General question to everyone here: I'm thinking about including the information about witches in the main post. Should I do this, or leave it out for people to discover on their own? I'm currently leaning towards leaving it out, but I'm open for suggestions.

I'm kinda on the fence with this one. On the one had it's not like you gain much from a proper witch blood drive and it does cut down on the mess and having to deal with drops and actually spawning mobs. It is essentially the same as using the ritual of regen on some other mob in the Well. When you consider that getting witches can be a royal pain without witchery I think the effort comes out as a wash when you compare Regen and Witches.
You might also consider adding something about translocators (from the mod of the same name). With that you can automate crafting with the altar and can even craft slates in bulk.

Reactions: Padfoote

Wraithflay

Jul 29, 2019
Are you also sacrificing them (with the dagger) cause they shouldn't be dieing in just a well of suffering, that's why they are so nice. They heal the damage the well does and so unless they despawn (which can be mostly handled by a jailer net from MFR) they should stick around indefinitely.
Well, I watched them slowly die (due to the Well of Suffering) from 20 HP to 0 without ever receiving any healing ticks. Let this continue for a couple minutes before eventually tiring of it, asking you guys, and now using the Witch Spawner. I also tried the Autonomous Activator and the Sacrificial Dagger to see if that was an option, but it seems the Activator can't handle sacrificial rites of faith and empowerment. Who knew?

For what it's worth, I did include two shots of my altar setup should anyone be curious for whatever reason. Nothing quite like the occasional picture to help ya out!

n11h.png

1lyn.png

Wraithflay

Jul 29, 2019
@Wraithflay Are those shots before or after you switched to using witches?
That's the after and is my literal current setup. The Ritual of Regeneration was removed (so all you see in the beneath shot is the Well of Suffering) since it wasn't doing anything and I can put the ritual stones to better use. That said other than that nothing has really changed save for the monster spawner in the grinder box above the altar. The melee turtle is for the poor mundane plebians I play with who occasionally need a good grinder (which I'm known to specialize in the design and construction of among my group of friends). It's off when I'm using the altar however, for obvious reasons.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
That's the after and is my literal current setup. The Ritual of Regeneration was removed (so all you see in the beneath shot is the Well of Suffering) since it wasn't doing anything and I can put the ritual stones to better use.

Ah, ok. I thought that was a before shot, which would've explained the lack of regen. ;)

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
@Wraithflay what pack/other mods are you using, 'cause it honestly sounds like regen mechanics/potions are disabled for you. Also since it looks like you have geostrata in the mix you could see if the regen crystals work on hostiles (I know they are supposed to work on villagers so that might be an option too... heheheh)

SawBlade

Jul 29, 2019
Since the guide is a for beginners, I'd leave out the details of a witch farm. Let them discover the various ways to set this up on their own.

Reactions: Padfoote

Wraithflay

Jul 29, 2019
@Wraithflay what pack/other mods are you using, 'cause it honestly sounds like regen mechanics/potions are disabled for you. Also since it looks like you have geostrata in the mix you could see if the regen crystals work on hostiles (I know they are supposed to work on villagers so that might be an option too... heheheh)
Nah, regen/potion effects are still in. I used to have a Geostrata Regen Crystal up in the first stages of Blood Magic until I reached Tier 2 so I could heal through all the damage I was dealing to myself to get blood in the altar. I can say the crystal doesn't affect hostile mobs, but does affect friendlies (unless I move it to Nether, in which case that's reversed).

Using villagers isn't really an option if only because I've never seen an NPC Villager Spawner and I'm not quite knowledgeable enough to set up a self-replenishing farm of the moronic blighters.

Pack-wise, it's a modified Magic World 2 to add some technology for those one or two people who absolutely insist on that sort of thing (IC2, Forestry, TE, ComputerCraft, Rotary/ReactorCraft).

Last edited:

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
@hiroshi42 and @Wraithflay, I'll run some tests here in a little to push the Ritual of Regen to its limits and see what works and what doesn't. I'll edit this post with my findings.

Edit: Zombies and skeletons are not receiving regen, yet creepers and spiders are. Will update the main post. Done

Edit 2: hiroshi42, I plan on adding the information about Translocators to the pdf due to me running out of room here. Thanks for reminding me about that though, I always craft slates manually and completely forgot about that ability.

Last edited:

SilentR33p3r

Jul 29, 2019
You might also consider adding something about translocators (from the mod of the same name). With that you can automate crafting with the altar and can even craft slates in bulk.

Has anyone found a way to automate slates without translocators? The server I play on is a Monster 1.0.9 server and no translocators. I have it half automated using a filtered transfer node pulling out the slate I want but I still have to stand there and insert one stone at a time.

Edit: HAHA nevermind, autonomous activator works wonderful.

Last edited:

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Has anyone found a way to automate slates without translocators? The server I play on is a Monster 1.0.9 server and no translocators. I have it half automated using a filtered transfer node pulling out the slate I want but I still have to stand there and insert one stone at a time.

Itemducts may be able to do both with a correct whitelist setting, however I haven't tried to do this before.

SilentR33p3r

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, too bad then. I'll have to play around with it and see what works.

I can tell you that if you place an autonomous activator on one side facing the altar with it's inventory filled with stone, have an extra utilities transfer node with an item filter for the type of slate you want pulled out on another side of the altar running into a chest. That works great as long as you keep the autonomous activator stocked with stone.

Redius

Jul 29, 2019
You can automate with an ME network. Barrel with BC gate set to pulse ONCE when there is room in inventory (the altar). It pulses once, moves stone to altar. Set precise import bus to remove slate when it reaches the desired level. Slate gets removed, gate sees change in the inventory, checks spaces, pulses once, starts process again. Standard mob farm with well of suffering to power the automation.

profit?

You can see it (but I didn't discuss it)
In the first few minutes of the show.

Last edited: