Beginner's Guide to Blood Magic

Riven

Jul 29, 2019
There was a time, not so long ago, that there were ZERO in game books for mods. The MCF posts and forums such as there were the main sources of information. ;)
!

pshhh
I'm too new for that. I love the books in the game and not having to switch screens and such! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
pshhh
I'm too new for that. I love the books in the game and not having to switch screens and such! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something
<old man voice on>Back in my day we didn't have any of these fancy books just handed to you, you young people these days with your reading and your documentation and your constant desire to know what's in a mod. Bah humbug. <old man voice off>;)
But seriously, TiCo has spoiled us all and I love it.
Also just to reiterate the Blood magic thread on MCF has excellent documentation, and this guide is very good.
Also Also there was talk a while ago on one of DW20's serverplays about an API or utility that would automate the in game book making process for developers. No idea if it has progressed at all but we can hope. Not that I would ever pressure devs to do it since most of the mods are easily explained with NEI and whoever adds all the tool tips.
Alsox3: My witches keep dieing in my altar when I am not around, any ideas? They shouldn't be despawning since I used Jailer nets to bring them in. The only thing I can think is that the are not healing themselves when I am far enough away. The altar is about 90-150 blocks under my 'main' base.

Reactions: Padfoote and Riven

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
@hiroshi42 I've heard that mobs act differently when players aren't around and the area is still chunk loaded. As I don't have a witch LP generation system, I can't say for sure, but I have a feeling that they'll only throw potions when players are around. Try putting something that registers as a fake player nearby and see if that helps.

Riven

Jul 29, 2019
depending on the mods you have loaded, there is something called a "chunk loader" that I've read keeps a chunk active as if you were there.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
depending on the mods you have loaded, there is something called a "chunk loader" that I've read keeps a chunk active as if you were there.

Yes, however I've heard that mobs will still act differently when a player isn't around, regardless of what chunkloader is down. Having a fake player is just a way to test and see if this is the case or not.

CodaPDX

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, however I've heard that mobs will still act differently when a player isn't around, regardless of what chunkloader is down. Having a fake player is just a way to test and see if this is the case or not.

I have a witch-powered altar underneath my base, and while I had one instance a while ago where the witches despawned, for the most part I don't have any issues with it. It's constantly chunkloaded, and when I come back after a day or two of not being logged in, the witches are still there and my LP network is just as full as it was when I left.

Reactions: Padfoote

SawBlade

Jul 29, 2019
I /think/ the autonomous activator from TE3 registers as a fake player, QuarryPlus will as well I believe and act as a chunkloader at the same time.
Another idea....small room with cursed earth...free mob spawner :)

CodaPDX

Jul 29, 2019
I /think/ the autonomous activator from TE3 registers as a fake player, QuarryPlus will as well I believe and act as a chunkloader at the same time.
Another idea....small room with cursed earth...free mob spawner :)

Cursed earth spawners can cause issues if you're a ways into Ars Magica, since light mages will spawn and attack creepers, causing them to blow up. You can design around this, but in many ways using a cell full of witches is just simpler and easier.

SawBlade

Jul 29, 2019
Cursed earth spawners can cause issues if you're a ways into Ars Magica, since light mages will spawn and attack creepers, causing them to blow up. You can design around this, but in many ways using a cell full of witches is just simpler and easier.

I have had to repair my 'room' a couple times, gradually replacing stone with obsidian. But, I've only dabbled in Ars Magica for a couple utility spells.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I have a witch-powered altar underneath my base, and while I had one instance a while ago where the witches despawned, for the most part I don't have any issues with it. It's constantly chunkloaded, and when I come back after a day or two of not being logged in, the witches are still there and my LP network is just as full as it was when I left.

That's good news then, and very good to know.

Cursed earth spawners can cause issues if you're a ways into Ars Magica, since light mages will spawn and attack creepers, causing them to blow up.

Doesn't matter how far into AM2 you are, that'll happen even if you don't have a single AM2 item yet.

Reactions: SawBlade

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I'm having issues getting my T1 Altar to work. Crazy, right? I have my knife in hand, and a diamond next to it, I bleed myself into the altar and it refuses to accept that I'm giving it any LP. The blood vanishes from it. I NEI'd in a divination sigil to check the LP level in the altar and no matter how much I bleed into it, it's at 0.
Is there a known fix? Is this a common issue?

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I'm having issues getting my T1 Altar to work. Crazy, right? I have my knife in hand, and a diamond next to it, I bleed myself into the altar and it refuses to accept that I'm giving it any LP. The blood vanishes from it. I NEI'd in a divination sigil to check the LP level in the altar and no matter how much I bleed into it, it's at 0.

Do you have the diamond in the altar? If so, take it out and try again. If not, do you have any pipes connected to your altar?

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
Do you have galacticraft installed

Wraithflay

Jul 29, 2019
While probably obvious in retrospect, it appears that the Ritual of Regeneration has no effect on zombies (or I'm doing something wrong). While the Well of Suffering works great on them, the Regeneration simply is not affecting them in any capacity no matter what I do. Guess I should find a different creature to spawn... maybe that Blaze Spawner I have on standby?

Edit: Oddly, even Graveyard Soil from Tinker's Construct isn't healing these guys. Now I'm really confused. What in blazes?

Last edited:

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
While probably obvious in retrospect, it appears that the Ritual of Regeneration has no effect on zombies (or I'm doing something wrong). While the Well of Suffering works great on them, the Regeneration simply is not affecting them in any capacity no matter what I do. Guess I should find a different creature to spawn... maybe that Blaze Spawner I have on standby?

Edit: Oddly, even Graveyard Soil from Tinker's Construct isn't healing these guys. Now I'm really confused. What in blazes?
Can't help you with the healing of zmobies, but if you are looking for a mob to use for the well of suffering consider witches, they heal themselves so you don't have to. It actually feels a bit cheatly to do it but it is also kinda funny to have my entire base powered by a small coven buried in the basement.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013

Odd. I'm pretty sure it should be placing regen on them. Bit of a dumb question, but are you sure the ritual has been activated?

Wraithflay

Jul 29, 2019
Odd. I'm pretty sure it should be placing regen on them. Bit of a dumb question, but are you sure the ritual has been activated?
Yeah, that was my first reaction. It's definitely getting the particles from the Master Ritual Stone and consuming the LP from my network, so it's activating for sure. Not really sure what's going on there, but I opted to try as hiroshi42 mentioned and plugged in a Witch Spawner instead. Can't say I'm sorry for the change, the drops are more useful to me at this point anyway!

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Yeah, that was my first reaction. It's definitely getting the particles from the Master Ritual Stone and consuming the LP from my network, so it's activating for sure. Not really sure what's going on there, but I opted to try as hiroshi42 mentioned and plugged in a Witch Spawner instead. Can't say I'm sorry for the change, the drops are more useful to me at this point anyway!

That's odd. But at least the witches work for you.

General question to everyone here: I'm thinking about including the information about witches in the main post. Should I do this, or leave it out for people to discover on their own? I'm currently leaning towards leaving it out, but I'm open for suggestions.

Reactions: Wraithflay