Beginner's Guide to Blood Magic

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I really like Planar Binding, because its a buff and debuff all at once. Keep someone from teleporting, planar binding. Swim through resonant ender to take care of that BR, planar binding. Oh, and AM2 AoE random teleport spells are annoying as hell.
Planar binding for that too.

Stop giving me ideas trajing. I'm getting evil ideas.
One could also use am2's way to not teleport ;)

Well, true, but seeing how blood alchemy is able to do so much, might as well get into it.

MrCervelo

Jul 29, 2019
Well I just spent my time rather unproductively. For those that don't want to read the whole fun and games that I've just had. Here's what I'm driving towards. Error messages when trying to either place a ritual, and you can't for whatever reason (insufficient ritual stones, insufficient space), or whenever you try and activate a ritual (ritual incomplete, activation crystal not strong enough, insufficient LP).

OK, so I crafted some bound armour, specifically the boots. I put into them two blood shards, a sigil of haste, and a master blood orb, but the documentation is a bit vague whether you need a blood shard for the blood orb to work (from what I understand, having a master blood orb or above in the armour, makes the cost of using the sigil zero). So, I wanted to unbind it. So I crafted the higher tier ritual diviner, grabbed a heap of ritual stones (I had more than enough), and right clicked until the particles vanished. Right click with the activation crystal... nothing. Check the LP, increase it and try again. Hmmm... maybe I need a stronger activation crystal, oh, that needs a nether star, ok, not a biggie, lets go and sort that out. I went a bit overboard and I got enough to make a tier 5 altar while I was at it. What the hell, it passed the time.

Right, make the strong activation crystal, right click on the master ritual stone and... nothing. Hang on, what's that ritual stone doing out there and it doesn't have a matching one on the other side. So, grab some more ritual stones, grab the ritual diviner and try again, no particle effects, clear any torches I have around and keep right clicking, OK, that looks good now, grab the activation crystal. Let's do this! and... still nothing. Hmmm... how much LP do I have, about 20,000, ok, let's up it. I pushed it to 50,000 and tried again, finally, it activated. It requires 30,000 LP to activate.

So, from what I can work out from my testing (a couple of binds and unbinds) is that the boots (4 slots), you can either put 2 sigils in (2 blood shards, 2 sigils) or 1 sigil, and one blood orb (leaving one slot unused). Is this correct? For armour that has more slots, is a single blood orb sufficient? Or do you need one for each sigil? Can you add sigils to the armour that require a right click (i.e. sigil of air, divination), does a sigil of phantom bridge work in bound armour? From my reading, I think that the only valid sigils you can put in armour (or the only ones that are worthwhile) are the sigil of the dome (maybe), sigil of elemental affinity, sigil of the fast miner, sigil of the green grove, sigil of haste, sigil of magnetism, sigil of the whirlwind.

As I've said before, it's a great mod, really enjoying it, it has some great toys and some great mechanics, but damn it can be annoying at times.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
So, from what I can work out from my testing (a couple of binds and unbinds) is that the boots (4 slots), you can either put 2 sigils in (2 blood shards, 2 sigils) or 1 sigil, and one blood orb (leaving one slot unused). Is this correct? For armour that has more slots, is a single blood orb sufficient? Or do you need one for each sigil? Can you add sigils to the armour that require a right click (i.e. sigil of air, divination), does a sigil of phantom bridge work in bound armour? From my reading, I think that the only valid sigils you can put in armour (or the only ones that are worthwhile) are the sigil of the dome (maybe), sigil of elemental affinity, sigil of the fast miner, sigil of the green grove, sigil of haste, sigil of magnetism, sigil of the whirlwind.

Assuming I remember all of this correctly, one orb will cover everything added to the piece it's in, with one Weak Blood Shard per Sigil, or you can use a demon for more.

Here's a list of what works in the armor. I personally would recommend that you do not put the Phantom Bridge on your armor. It's currently bugged and an absolute pain to deal with.

Sorry about parts of the guide not being too clear, I'm doing what I can to clarify everything on the wiki.

Steel

Jul 29, 2019
Well I just spent my time rather unproductively. For those that don't want to read the whole fun and games that I've just had. Here's what I'm driving towards. Error messages when trying to either place a ritual, and you can't for whatever reason (insufficient ritual stones, insufficient space), or whenever you try and activate a ritual (ritual incomplete, activation crystal not strong enough, insufficient LP).

OK, so I crafted some bound armour, specifically the boots. I put into them two blood shards, a sigil of haste, and a master blood orb, but the documentation is a bit vague whether you need a blood shard for the blood orb to work (from what I understand, having a master blood orb or above in the armour, makes the cost of using the sigil zero). So, I wanted to unbind it. So I crafted the higher tier ritual diviner, grabbed a heap of ritual stones (I had more than enough), and right clicked until the particles vanished. Right click with the activation crystal... nothing. Check the LP, increase it and try again. Hmmm... maybe I need a stronger activation crystal, oh, that needs a nether star, ok, not a biggie, lets go and sort that out. I went a bit overboard and I got enough to make a tier 5 altar while I was at it. What the hell, it passed the time.

Right, make the strong activation crystal, right click on the master ritual stone and... nothing. Hang on, what's that ritual stone doing out there and it doesn't have a matching one on the other side. So, grab some more ritual stones, grab the ritual diviner and try again, no particle effects, clear any torches I have around and keep right clicking, OK, that looks good now, grab the activation crystal. Let's do this! and... still nothing. Hmmm... how much LP do I have, about 20,000, ok, let's up it. I pushed it to 50,000 and tried again, finally, it activated. It requires 30,000 LP to activate.

As I've said before, it's a great mod, really enjoying it, it has some great toys and some great mechanics, but damn it can be annoying at times.
To add one clarification to what Padfoote said, each piece of armor can only use one blood shard. A weak shard supports one sigil, and a demon one supports 2. Multiple shards in the same piece have no effect.

Reactions: Padfoote

MrCervelo

Jul 29, 2019
OK, so how do the bound tools work? I've tried using an axe and a shovel, and with a left click (while activated) they don't seem any different compared to other tools except for not having durability. Right click just seems to kill me.

The first time I used the axe, I hadn't done much with blood magic, so I had very little LP, with a shovel, I had about 30,000 LP, and I still died. I was standing on top of a single layer of dirt which was 16x16 or something.

The wiki mentions that the bound pickaxe takes about 10,000 LP to mine a 13x13x13 area.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
OK, so how do the bound tools work? I've tried using an axe and a shovel, and with a left click (while activated) they don't seem any different compared to other tools except for not having durability. Right click just seems to kill me.

The first time I used the axe, I hadn't done much with blood magic, so I had very little LP, with a shovel, I had about 30,000 LP, and I still died. I was standing on top of a single layer of dirt which was 16x16 or something.

The wiki mentions that the bound pickaxe takes about 10,000 LP to mine a 13x13x13 area.

Left clicking they're about the same as diamond tools. Right click is where they're different due to the Beast Mode. 10k LP for an 11 cubed area for each tool. Which wiki are you getting this information from? Because I know I put 11x11x11 down.

Edit: Yeah, I put 11 cubed. http://wiki.feed-the-beast.com/Bound_Pickaxe

MrCervelo

Jul 29, 2019
Yep, I know. I'd like clarification in cases like this so I know if I messed up with my documentation though, but in this case they messed up, not me.

I got the 13 cubed from here -> http://ftbwiki.org/Bound_Pickaxe

From what I understand though, as I had some 30,000 LP in my network, right clicking with the shovel shouldn't have killed me. Maybe I'll try again, I'll shove a heap of LP into the network and try again.

Do enchants on the shovel have an impact on the LP use? I enchanted the shovel and got Unbreaking and Efficiency, I know that the Unbreaking is useless, but will the Efficiency have an impact on the LP use?

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
From what I understand though, as I had some 30,000 LP in my network, right clicking with the shovel shouldn't have killed me. Maybe I'll try again, I'll shove a heap of LP into the network and try again.

Do enchants on the shovel have an impact on the LP use? I enchanted the shovel and got Unbreaking and Efficiency, I know that the Unbreaking is useless, but will the Efficiency have an impact on the LP use?

I haven't tried any tests on them with enchants. If anything, that set should reduce LP usage, assuming the Bound tools are setup to be impacted by those enchants. And 30k should've been plenty when you used it, unless you had a mouse button glitch out.

MrCervelo

Jul 29, 2019
OK, I tried again, and I think I know why I died with the shovel. I just jammed about 180,000 LP into my network, divested myself of most gear to save the hassle of picking it up if I did die and tried again.

Right click causes some pretty particle effects, drops my Soul Network by 10,000 LP and does... nothing else. I'm right clicking on a block of dirt that is one in an area that's something like 16x16x1 (it might only be 14x14x1).

The reason I died was because when I tried it before, and the right click didn't do anything, I held down right click incase it required a charge up or something. That just causes a rapid drain of the Soul Network, which then kills you.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
OK, I tried again, and I think I know why I died with the shovel. I just jammed about 180,000 LP into my network, divested myself of most gear to save the hassle of picking it up if I did die and tried again.

Right click causes some pretty particle effects, drops my Soul Network by 10,000 LP and does... nothing else. I'm right clicking on a block of dirt that is one in an area that's something like 16x16x1 (it might only be 14x14x1).

The reason I died was because when I tried it before, and the right click didn't do anything, I held down right click incase it required a charge up or something. That just causes a rapid drain of the Soul Network, which then kills you.

Unlike other Bound tools, the Bound Shovel removes blocks from your feet up. If you're standing on top of grass, with nothing above you, nothing happens. Drop down a level and it'll start working without an issue. No idea why.

Edit: I documented the shovel a couple of days ago, actually. :p

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Just going to leave this here for others to see...
A few rituals will eventually come to Blood Magic which will allow syphoning surrounding fluids into a sigil that holds them. The sigil in question is still a bit finicky, so hasn't been added as of yet.

Also need a good algorithm for the syphoning of the fluids. Don't want it to just reach through a wall and take the water source blocks from your Aqueous Accumulator, now, do we?

bobbobkilu

Jul 29, 2019
So, I'm pretty far into blood magic, and I realize, I've never used any spells in it. Go looking for some documentation on the effects, and find there is nothing for the advanced spells. Anyone found anything like that on here?

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
So, I'm pretty far into blood magic, and I realize, I've never used any spells in it. Go looking for some documentation on the effects, and find there is nothing for the advanced spells. Anyone found anything like that on here?

I know @PurpleMentat played with it in is LP but that's all I know...

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
I made an ultra digging spell in Episode 70. That's all I've done with it

And that's the only thing I've ever seen from BM spells :p you still had a little explanation on what should happen with the different core (Think that was the name)