Beginner's Guide to Blood Magic

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Yes to the ritual stones, and I used the Orb of Testing, so I had 10,000,000 LP.

Alright, I just looked at the pictures again, and the altar is too far away from the ritual. The ritual needs to be as close as physically possible to the altar to function. Specifically, the Master Ritual Stone needs to be closer.

Albin_Xavier

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, I just looked at the pictures again, and the altar is too far away from the ritual. The ritual needs to be as close as physically possible to the altar to function. Specifically, the Master Ritual Stone needs to be closer.
I guess I need another altar, then.

pderuiter

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, I started playing Agrarian Skies, and that introduced me to Blood Magic. Thanks for the help with the sigil, I put it in my bound boots.
Just be careful walking too close to your BigReactor reactor if you use fluids in there :)

Albin_Xavier

Jul 29, 2019
Just be careful walking too close to your BigReactor reactor if you use fluids in there :)
Don't worry, I turn on the inhibitor around there, and also around my pond, for fishing and pearl oysters. Now I just need to figure out how to activate the bound fishing rod, from Mariculture, it puts it in when Blood Magic is installed.

Edit: I got the ritual working! I just placed an altar directly on top of the master ritual stone, and it worked, but it put the LP in my T5 altar, which is even better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Padfoote

joshie

Jul 29, 2019
^ It's done in the ritual of binding with a titanium rod.
For normal fishing with it, you can use rotten flesh/blood shards.

For 'Bound Mode'. You need blood shards. Weak blood shards will catch up to 8 things at once, while a demon will catch up to 64. Though why you would waste a demon blood shard on fish/loot, is beyond me. Those numbers are configurable though, since I wasn't sure how 'decent' they are. The Bound Fishing Rod also can catch some alchemy ingredients/slates as well, aka Blood Magic loot :p, though it can of course catch Bound Boots too :p.

Albin_Xavier

Jul 29, 2019

For 'Bound Mode'. You need blood shards. Weak blood shards will catch up to 8 things at once, while a demon will catch up to 64. Though why you would waste a demon blood shard on fish/loot, is beyond me. Those numbers are configurable though, since I wasn't sure how 'decent' they are. The Bound Fishing Rod also can catch some alchemy ingredients/slates as well, aka Blood Magic loot :p, though it can of course catch Bound Boots too :p.
I can't wait to catch 64 things at once. (Yes, I'm crazy enough to do that)

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019

WAIT WHAT?
is that even implemented yet?

Albin_Xavier

Jul 29, 2019

My problem was, I couldn't get it working.

TimF

Jul 29, 2019
I've just started Blood Magic and am really enjoying it so far, but I'm having trouble sacrificing anything other than myself. My understanding from the Wiki is that the dagger of sacrifice should allow me to get LP from killing mobs out in the world, away from my altar, and the advantage of using it by my altar if just that I can instant-kill mobs. My problem is that whenever I kill anything out in the world, I get no LP at all from it.

Am I doing something wrong, or have I just misunderstood and you can only ever use the dagger to get LP if you kill things by the altar? If that's the case, do you just need to make mob farms right by the altar? Mine is in the crater of a volcano (it seemed appropriate...) - a big farm might spoil the atmosphere!

pderuiter

Jul 29, 2019
afaik you do need to kill them close to your altar. You could make a separate sacrifice altar with a mob spawner at a different location

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I've just started Blood Magic and am really enjoying it so far, but I'm having trouble sacrificing anything other than myself. My understanding from the Wiki is that the dagger of sacrifice should allow me to get LP from killing mobs out in the world, away from my altar, and the advantage of using it by my altar if just that I can instant-kill mobs. My problem is that whenever I kill anything out in the world, I get no LP at all from it.

Am I doing something wrong, or have I just misunderstood and you can only ever use the dagger to get LP if you kill things by the altar? If that's the case, do you just need to make mob farms right by the altar? Mine is in the crater of a volcano (it seemed appropriate...) - a big farm might spoil the atmosphere!

Mobs need to be within a couple of blocks of the altar to be sacrificed.

Which wiki did you read that on? If it was the official I need to fix that.

MrCervelo

Jul 29, 2019
I'm running 1.0.1c, so if this bug is fixed in later versions, this post can be ignored.

When shift clicking items out of the Alchemic Chemistry Set, it will duplicate and place it in one of the input slots.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I'm running 1.0.1c, so if this bug is fixed in later versions, this post can be ignored.

When shift clicking items out of the Alchemic Chemistry Set, it will duplicate and place it in one of the input slots.

Might be fixed in 1.0.1e. I know it had some sort of alchemy fix in it.

TimF

Jul 29, 2019
Mobs need to be within a couple of blocks of the altar to be sacrificed.

Which wiki did you read that on? If it was the official I need to fix that.
It was, but reading it again I think I just misinterpreted it. It says: "Unlike the Sacrificial Knife, it is used to sacrifice animals and monsters instead of the sacrificing player. When used in close proximity to a Blood Altar, the dagger will kill the sacrifice in one hit. When out of range, it will deal only 1 heart of damage." I had read that as implying that it can always sacrifice animals and monsters, but it doesn't do the one-hit kill in range of the altar. Might be worth spelling it out explicitly?

Thanks for clarifying it' I think I'll make a nice happy farm and bury a secret altar underneath it...

AstralVoid

Jul 29, 2019
Has anyone else encountered the apparent incompatibility between Bound Armor and Ars Magica 2 damage types? Fire is easy to avoid entirely, but I've found that Lightning, Frost, and likely other damage types such as Magic don't seem to register against the Life Essence pool when struck. Where I could normally shrug such off an attack with Battlemage armor, it eats through most of my health bar in 1-2 shots, even if the armor itself is forcibly enchanted with Magic Resist V.

Of course, Bound Armor has more overall uses (and is better against AM2 bosses in some respects), but this does seem to be a bit of a crippling flaw for otherwise nigh invulnerability.

As a funny side note, I later found that the friend who accidentally nuked me did not share my Bound Armor's immunity to High Explosive TNT in a heavily enchanted full Battlemage set.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
It was, but reading it again I think I just misinterpreted it. It says: "Unlike the Sacrificial Knife, it is used to sacrifice animals and monsters instead of the sacrificing player. When used in close proximity to a Blood Altar, the dagger will kill the sacrifice in one hit. When out of range, it will deal only 1 heart of damage." I had read that as implying that it can always sacrifice animals and monsters, but it doesn't do the one-hit kill in range of the altar. Might be worth spelling it out explicitly?

Thanks for clarifying it' I think I'll make a nice happy farm and bury a secret altar underneath it...

Yeah, that's not the official wiki, so I can't do anything about that. I made sure I clarified it a bit on the official wiki though.

Feyriin

Jul 29, 2019
So when trying to rebuild my mob farm into just something to gather LP with away from my main altar, I've built a tier 2 altar, got well of suffering going, it's working just fine.

My problem I'm getting now is that the LP isn't going from the altar into my network, no matter which orb I put in it. (I'm up to master blood orb level)

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
So when trying to rebuild my mob farm into just something to gather LP with away from my main altar, I've built a tier 2 altar, got well of suffering going, it's working just fine.

My problem I'm getting now is that the LP isn't going from the altar into my network, no matter which orb I put in it. (I'm up to master blood orb level)

Since it's only a T2 altar, you need, at most, the T2 orb. If your network is already full to the storage capacity of that orb, it won't accept any more LP.