Beginner's Guide to Blood Magic

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
All I know about blood magic and digging is a giant ... actually, it only digs dirt/sand/etc, so it clears the surface off the ground. For a large chunk of life points.

I mean, I can understand the bound pick for clearing a room-sized hole, but the shovel?

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
All I know about blood magic and digging is a giant ... actually, it only digs dirt/sand/etc, so it clears the surface off the ground. For a large chunk of life points.

I mean, I can understand the bound pick for clearing a room-sized hole, but the shovel?

For those times you need to move an entire desert in a day.

Zaflis

Jul 29, 2019
What am i doing wrong? After getting Tier 2 altar and Apprentice orb i wanted to make some runes of self sacrifice. They are supposed to increase LP gain with sacrificial knife, but i'm still getting only 200 LP each time. I replaced 4 blood runes that were in the corners with sacrificial runes. Speed runes in the middle seem to work very well, increasing the crafting speed and altar's LP seems to be used faster than without.

Attachments

• blood altar.png
    blood altar.png
    407.7 KB · Views: 77

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
What am i doing wrong? After getting Tier 2 altar and Apprentice orb i wanted to make some runes of self sacrifice. They are supposed to increase LP gain with sacrificial knife, but i'm still getting only 200 LP each time. I replaced 4 blood runes that were in the corners with sacrificial runes. Speed runes in the middle seem to work very well, increasing the crafting speed and altar's LP seems to be used faster than without.

What modpack are you running? I had the same exact issue a while back. Never could trace it back to anything though.

Zaflis

Jul 29, 2019
What modpack are you running? I had the same exact issue a while back. Never could trace it back to anything though.
This is recommended version of Magic Farm 2 (Blood Magic v1.0.1c.zip in the mods\ ).

I did another test by putting the sacrificial runes in the middle slots and they worked. So it seems tier 2 altar can only support 4 upgrade runes, not the corners?

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
So it seems tier 2 altar can only support 4 upgrade runes, not the corners?

No, it can definitely handle all 8 being self-sacrifice runes / any combination. I think it's a mod incompatibility issue, since I had the same exact issue on a modified DW20 pack, but no issue with just BM or in a modified Monster. I just wasn't able to find what did it.

Edit: I was corrected below.

Last edited:

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
it seems that when you have a tier 2 altar, you need to fill the non corner first. I experienced that in monster, MF2 and AgS

Steel

Jul 29, 2019
The tier 2 altar only supports 4 active rune slots, the ones at the four compass directions. The corner slots need to be filled, but they will have none of their usual effects. Once you get to tier 3, all runes will take effect.

Talonar

Jul 29, 2019
For those times you need to move an entire desert in a day.

I actually did pretty much this because I needed ALOT of sand for my glass dome fortress I 'was' planning. Eeeh, I still haven't finished it but I believe after digging out a biomes worth of sand I shouldn't need any more sand for a long time :D

Reactions: Padfoote

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
If I use Thaumcraft, I can categorize myself as a Thaumaturge. With BM, would I be a Blood Mage? An Alchemical Wizard? These are the silly questions I ponder after yard work in 100°F weather.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
So, I'm pretty far into blood magic, and I realize, I've never used any spells in it. Go looking for some documentation on the effects, and find there is nothing for the advanced spells. Anyone found anything like that on here?
I was working on a guide in the style of the guides here and realized that I know very little about it beyond what WayOfTime said in his video on them.