Beginner's Guide to Blood Magic

Steel

Jul 29, 2019
So, I'm having fun with my blood magic base, and have a blood tower that is designed to create LE in large quantities to provide through tesseracts. So the tower has 6 floors of Cursed Earth, and altars (and Wells of Suffering) on floors 2 and 5. They generate a large amount of LE, as they are 28 Runes of Dislocation and the rest Runes of Sacrifice. I'm having issues getting much use of it though. I have one altar that is currently receiving, and I have installed nothing but Runes of Dislocation, but I can only seems to dump about a bucket a second into it. I've tried using ExU liquid transfer nodes, multiple connections with TE3 fluiducts, and Chickenbones' Liquid Translocators (with glowstone upgrades) but each can only dump about 1 bucket a second. Is there not a way to get higher throughput?

~edit~
Here's a picture of my test world. The levels 3 - 5 altars all take in liquid at the same rate. I can extract really well though, just can't input quickly.

I take that back, upon further testing with upgraded liquid transfer nodes, extracting appears to not be increased either.
altar%20test%20world.png

Last edited:

WayofTime

Jul 29, 2019
So, I'm having fun with my blood magic base, and have a blood tower that is designed to create LE in large quantities to provide through tesseracts. So the tower has 6 floors of Cursed Earth, and altars (and Wells of Suffering) on floors 2 and 5. They generate a large amount of LE, as they are 28 Runes of Dislocation and the rest Runes of Sacrifice. I'm having issues getting much use of it though. I have one altar that is currently receiving, and I have installed nothing but Runes of Dislocation, but I can only seems to dump about a bucket a second into it. I've tried using ExU liquid transfer nodes, multiple connections with TE3 fluiducts, and Chickenbones' Liquid Translocators (with glowstone upgrades) but each can only dump about 1 bucket a second. Is there not a way to get higher throughput?

~edit~
Here's a picture of my test world. The levels 3 - 5 altars all take in liquid at the same rate. I can extract really well though, just can't input quickly.

I take that back, upon further testing with upgraded liquid transfer nodes, extracting appears to not be increased either.
altar%20test%20world.png
Add in runes of Augmented Capacity. The default size of the buffer is 1k, and it increases proportionally to that of the altar's capacity. So a 30k LP altar can have a buffer of 3k LP.

Reactions: Padfoote

Steel

Jul 29, 2019
Add in runes of Augmented Capacity. The default size of the buffer is 1k, and it increases proportionally to that of the altar's capacity. So a 30k LP altar can have a buffer of 3k LP.
So runes of dislocation only work on their own up to a certain point, then you need to start adding capacity as well? I guess I need to do some testing to figure out the best ratio for these runes...

KillerRamer

Jul 29, 2019
So I had a question or two involving bound armor.
  1. It mentoined that a single piece of bound armor wouldn't do much to protect you, does that go to say that having a single piece of bound armor would be utterly pointless and wouldn't go will with a mixed armor set? I kinda have a thing for mixing armor pieces from magic mods, I was planning on the sanguine helmet and bound pants with a sigil of haste or mining in it.
  2. How many sigils can I add with the assistance of a demon shard or two? I kinda wanna add three sigils to a pair of pants.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
The Sanguine Helmet... Isn't that the TC4 compatibility item? That is, it's a pair of Goggles of Reveling, but upgraded via Blood Magic? Those don't really work like the rest of the Blood Magic armor. It'd be fine to use it with other stuff, it's mainly for getting a 10% discount on Vis from one piece of armor.

The utter defense of the Blood Magic armor however, depends on wearing a full suit of Bound Armor. If you don't mind not being utterly invincible, don't worry about mixing and matching armor. If you have any fashion sense, though, you wouldn't dare wear a mishmash suit of armor.

KillerRamer

Jul 29, 2019
Pssssh My mishmashing sense is baws. And I do realize that about the helmet, however I was aiming for pants as it's only one less slot. And out of all the sigils I'd place on my armor only three appealed to me. I'm about to try it out in a fight against a wither now and see how I like it... But movement wise I'm very happy as I'm capable of moving at speeds rivaling Q suit pants.

Edit: Just tested out my mixed and match set, and I tanked a wither without a scratch. Though It does seem to take allooooooot more lp, but honestly I don't plan on tossing myself at withers constantly, and I think FM's additional bloodorb's like seventy million in terms of magical power.

Last edited:

Steel

Jul 29, 2019
I did some testing to see what the numbers are, and here is what I've got. I'm sure I'm off a bit on the buckets/second stat, but it's how much I saw decreasing in the tank each time it ticked.

Dislocation / Capacity / bps (estimate)

25/7/1.9
26/9/2.1
27/10/2.3
28/12/2.6
29/16/3.3
30/20/4
32/25/4.75

So with 32 dislocation runes and 25 augmented capacity runes (taking up all but the last tier of the altar) I could get 4.75 buckets of LE draining in/out per update of the buffer (which I think is slightly faster than once per second?). Do these numbers sound about right? Cause man, that seems like it requires way too many capacity runes to support high numbers of dislocation.

Flipz

Jul 29, 2019
I'm messing around with Magic World 2, so I thought I'd share with you a nifty setup I've got going involving Blood Magic and Witchery (and augmented by Random Things) that lets me farm ALL THE THINGS at once (well, not really all the things, but it's a net gain for pretty much everything involved, and it's sustainable, which is awesome).

2014-04-29_12.43.13 by Poochythegenius, on Flickr

(This'll eventually be an underground Tier 3 altar, which should sustain me easily until I start work on and eventually complete the max-tier alter I'll be placing at my Ars Magicka base.)

The Mandrakes grow (pretty quickly when fueled by the Random Things "Fertile Soil" which, as an added bonus, needs no water and can never be trampled) and, when harvested, produce entities. These entities are perfectly legal to sacrifice for blood in the altar (500 LP each), a little of which goes to making a new blade and the rest of which goes to whatever I need it for. I then replant the mandrake seeds, and the roots go into my Witchery operations (well, they will once I have them set up--I'm stalling a bit until I move house, since a Wasteland biome isn't exactly ideal for the Witchery altar). Completely positive net material gain, at the cost of the annoyance of chasing around the shrieking Mandrakes and a little Nausea-induced insanity. (Admittedly, this wouldn't work outdoors, nor anywhere not completely safe from other enemies, but I thought it was a clever solution to my recurring problem of not being able to regen fast enough to sustain my operations. :) )

--Flipz

Steel

Jul 29, 2019
I decided to start messing with the advanced spell system, and in a creative world made 48 spells to cover all combinations of paradigms, effects, and modifiers, with three of each enhancement for all of the spells, and I just cannot figure out what some of them do. I was wondering if anyone had a nice list somewhere, or any spells that you use and might be interested in sharing.

SawBlade

Jul 29, 2019
I decided to start messing with the advanced spell system, and in a creative world made 48 spells to cover all combinations of paradigms, effects, and modifiers, with three of each enhancement for all of the spells, and I just cannot figure out what some of them do. I was wondering if anyone had a nice list somewhere, or any spells that you use and might be interested in sharing.
I've dabbled in it some myself, so far just the earth element seems useful with its defensive and dig abilities. I need to mess with it more it seems.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Best as in most survivability and mobility (also, is flight possbible, or is that just with potions)

Get a full set of armor with enough LP in your system and you won't die. Mobility is going to be the Air Sigil and Sigil of the Phantom Bridge. Just don't try to stick the last one of those into your armor, it's a bad idea.

SwiftLilEagle

Jul 29, 2019
Get a full set of armor with enough LP in your system and you won't die. Mobility is going to be the Air Sigil, since when I last tried it wouldn't go into the armor (and probably for good reasons).
I mean what sigils to put into armor lol (sorry for not being clear)

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I mean what sigils to put into armor lol (sorry for not being clear)

I think (and I haven't messed with the Bound Armor in a bit) that the Air Sigil will give a jump boost, and there's the Sigil of Haste that should give a speed bonus when placed into the armor.

SawBlade

Jul 29, 2019
Lava will give Fire resist, water water breathing. I dislike those...constant particle effects. But to each their own.
Divination night vision
Green thumb, same as the sigil but constant :)