Beginner's Guide to Blood Magic

KillerRamer

Jul 29, 2019
A simple villager breeding station could be made. Have the baby villagers drop out of the range of the "village", which then pretty much unlocks the spawn limit on them. Might get stupidly laggy, but it'll work.
That depends on whether you have found a village or zombie villager to cure though. I've also somewhat iffy on breeding cells. For some weird reason or another they will escape structures or part of a machine without much explanation. Magicly finding there way out of sealed off rooms wandering about in the redstone. It does seem to be on vanilla's side. I found this happening often when I made an iron foundry where villagers important to the foundation of the workings would dissapear, despite being named/ encased in blocks to contain them. It's why I tend to stick to spawners for villagers. Any other mob like endermen or pigmen I feel work well. Squids and villagers are just the two mobs that seem wonky.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
That depends on whether you have found a village or zombie villager to cure though. I've also somewhat iffy on breeding cells. For some weird reason or another they will escape structures or part of a machine without much explanation. Magicly finding there way out of sealed off rooms wandering about in the redstone. It does seem to be on vanilla's side. I found this happening often when I made an iron foundry where villagers important to the foundation of the workings would dissapear, despite being named/ encased in blocks to contain them. It's why I tend to stick to spawners for villagers. Any other mob like endermen or pigmen I feel work well. Squids and villagers are just the two mobs that seem wonky.

I forgot about the whole requirement of finding a village or curing zombies. But them escaping is (IIRC) a chunk loading thing, where they get loaded before the blocks do in the chunk, letting them escape. Happens to me with cows all the time.

KillerRamer

Jul 29, 2019
I forgot about the whole requirement of finding a village or curing zombies. But them escaping is (IIRC) a chunk loading thing, where they get loaded before the blocks do in the chunk, letting them escape. Happens to me with cows all the time.
I haven' had that issue with cows But I also tend to mass breed/ mass murder them quickly and keep it to around two. Villagers tend to stack up however due to me liking to trade from time to time and them having more of a free form breeding.

I'm also not going to count on villagers for when that warning actually holds merit I never understood that word of warning for sacrificing them in bloodmagic, and everyone i've seen talk about it, said it did nothing... Still feel like it might be bad to count on villagers for the possibility though.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I'm also not going to count on villagers for when that warning actually holds merit I never understood that word of warning for sacrificing them in bloodmagic, and everyone i've seen talk about it, said it did nothing... Still feel like it might be bad to count on villagers for the possibility though.

I included that warning since Way's thread has it even though I've never seen a side effect from sacrificing villagers.

@WayofTime Is it planned that sacrificing villagers will hold some sort of negative effect in a future update? Or is there something I'm currently not seeing?

KillerRamer

Jul 29, 2019
I included that warning since Way's thread has it even though I've never seen a side effect from sacrificing villagers.

@WayofTime Is it planned that sacrificing villagers will hold some sort of negative effect in a future update? Or is there something I'm currently not seeing?
I wouldn't doubt it's coming. He made mobs that can be sacrificed one shot kills recently, so designs that used things like witches since they regened moot.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
He made mobs that can be sacrificed one shot kills recently, so designs that used things like witches since they regened moot.

Are you talking about the Sacrificial Dagger, or the Well of Suffering? If it's the latter, then I missed an update somewhere. o_O

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
Are you talking about the Sacrificial Dagger, or the Well of Suffering? If it's the latter, then I missed an update somewhere. o_O
I just checked the changelog and I couldn't find it so unless it goes under "general fixes" I don't think it's been changed. So I don't think it's been changed yet...

Reactions: Padfoote

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I just checked the changelog and I couldn't find it so unless it goes under "general fixes" I don't think it's been changed. So I don't think it's been changed yet...

I did the same thing thinking I missed something huge in the changelog a while back.

KillerRamer

Jul 29, 2019
The dagger itself. I am fairly new to actually playing with blood magic. I'm not sure if it's been that way since the beginning of the mod so take it with a grain of salt. =p I just figured people used some fake player with the dagger to sacrifice mobs.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
The dagger itself. I am fairly new to actually playing with blood magic. I'm not sure if it's been that way since the beginning of the mod so take it with a grain of salt. =p I just figured people used some fake player with the dagger to sacrifice mobs.

Ah alright, scared me there for a second. ;)

Reactions: Not_Steve

KillerRamer

Jul 29, 2019
Ah alright, scared me there for a second. ;)
Sorry about that. Still kinda thinking from the mind of the inexperienced I saw that well of suffering and thought they worked similarly. Still working on writing quests and am writing down the basics first. I need to tinker with the more advanced stuff in a bit.

WayofTime

Jul 29, 2019

When I originally created Blood Magic I wanted to add some form of karma system to allow the player to choose if they want to go either an evil or a good path. However, I soon realized that a system like that didn't really fit with the mod, so it was eventually scrapped. So no, there aren't any negative effects - I have noticed that people don't do it anyways, so I suppose that even in Minecraft there are things people just don't do! :D

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
Would have love a karma system but just how blood magic is made, you can get karma anyway ^^ (nope i sooooooo didn't die 20 times because of dry network)

Reactions: Padfoote

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
When I originally created Blood Magic I wanted to add some form of karma system to allow the player to choose if they want to go either an evil or a good path. However, I soon realized that a system like that didn't really fit with the mod, so it was eventually scrapped. So no, there aren't any negative effects - I have noticed that people don't do it anyways, so I suppose that even in Minecraft there are things people just don't do! :D

Awesome, thanks for the clarification!

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
I suspect that the reason people don't sacrifice villagers is:
1. Difficulty in automatically separating the adults from the children, and
2. Your mod's docs say that bad things will happen if you sacrifice villagers.

Now that you clarified that they won't, I'll see about setting up pistons above a pressure plate...

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I suspect that the reason people don't sacrifice villagers is:
1. Difficulty in automatically separating the adults from the children, and
2. Your mod's docs say that bad things will happen if you sacrifice villagers.

Now that you clarified that they won't, I'll see about setting up pistons above a pressure plate...
What difficulty? Adults are 2 blocks high, babies are 1. Water plus a 1 block gap is a simple filter. Even easier/cleaner is the MFR chronotyper. (which I presume works since the spawner let's you replicate them in the first place)

Go forth and slaughter testificates!

SawBlade

Jul 29, 2019
Quick and funny PSA

Edit - The morning after.
Yeah I know it's silly, I was caught up in the moment of laughing myself stupid after my demonstration of creating a storm err...backfired. :p

Last edited: