Automating oreberries?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
"Fruit" items usually are not in the default settings.

Well TiC/Natura Berries aren't usual "Fruit" items :p It would make more sense to use a Fruit Picker for those, but that doesn't work and I've seen mDiyo say she isn't going to change it either.

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
Golems are one block tall.

Golems are also not stupid they do not walk into the bush to harvest if there is not a valid standing location on the top or at least I haven't had to replace either of the golems in my "xp farm" which has 2 tiers of essence bushes with slab walkways so the little guys can get up there.

Drkevlar

Jul 29, 2019
Did some testing but golems do not seem to get hurt when walking on the bushes in the latest version of unleashed.

Also found out the berries can me matured with a water can :cool:

Riuga

Jul 29, 2019
Did some testing but golems do not seem to get hurt when walking on the bushes in the latest version of unleashed.

Also found out the berries can me matured with a water can :cool:

really? Bonemeal doesn't work. Neither did my ceremony of throwing tons of potions and flooding the room. I have to test this asap.

Smiletactician

Jul 29, 2019
Place bushes on the floor. Place slabs on top of the bushes and slabs in front as well. The golem will step onto the slab and harvest the berries. The top slab will prevent them from hopping onto the top and taking damage. This allows also for a terrace style farm which the Golems can harvest using stairs to access each level.

This is exactly what my design was. vanilla is useful, especially in modded versions :D

Drawde

Jul 29, 2019
I've had harvesters work with no problems. I just put the plants in a square room, then block off the only entrance with the harvester. Nothing can spawn in there and there's no light entering the room to prevent berries from spawning.

And yes, Extra Utilities' watering can works on all Natura/TiC (whichever it is) berry plants. They take a bit but can even make the normal and nether berries grow higher. Though the nether berries take longer.

The only thing I've found that the watering can doesn't work on is IC2 crops and Forestry trees.

Infallible83

Jul 29, 2019
I've had harvesters work with no problems. I just put the plants in a square room, then block off the only entrance with the harvester. Nothing can spawn in there and there's no light entering the room to prevent berries from spawning.

And yes, Extra Utilities' watering can works on all Natura/TiC (whichever it is) berry plants. They take a bit but can even make the normal and nether berries grow higher. Though the nether berries take longer.

The only thing I've found that the watering can doesn't work on is IC2 crops and Forestry trees.

I think the confusion is due to the strong Necro powers of Mr. Smiletactician. There have beena number of changes since this thread was started, in short, Harvester do work (As you have stated) and so do Golems. I am not 100% sure on if they take damage from walkign on them, but I do know for sure that they dont take damage from the sides. My setup is to just put a block above the bush (or even have them lined up in he wall) and I have never lost a golem to them.

Reactions: Smiletactician

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I'm thinking...13x13 room, slabs for the floor to block spawns, blackout curtains at the entrance to make it completely dark, orebushes on the ceiling harvested by golems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

I've found that oreberries grow ok even in daylight, even spawn there rarely, if maybe a bit slower until fully grown. I usually grow them in a 9x9 room under my Natura Redwood, where I can control the lighting for the more sensitive bushes until full sized. I'll have to try the ceiling thing, although so far I've done ok stacking bushes 4 high along the walls.

Skullywag

Jul 29, 2019
Floor of oreberry bushes and the golem on top works fine in recent versions. Never lost a golem doing this. Use gatherer golems or vacuum hoppers from open blocks to grab the berries.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
that I don't know, but the watering can from Extra Utilities does
Oh, I know that does. I just haven't got the time to test out OpenBlocks yet. Maybe after work. As well as the JABBA mod that was introduced not too long ago.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, I know that does. I just haven't got the time to test out OpenBlocks yet. Maybe after work. As well as the JABBA mod that was introduced not too long ago.

JABBA is awesome, alot of things I've been looking for for a barrel mod

HardBitch

Jul 29, 2019
So I tried but the author seems to have made these things things turtle-resistant.

turtle.attack() with an engineering turtle makes the ripe berry disappear but it does not appear in the turtle's inventory. turtle.dig() with a mining turtle produces an oreberry bushling in the inventory but no berries.

I think I need a new strategy to cheese this. What other ways are there of simulating a player click?
The autonomous activator from thermal expansion will work just face it to orebery bush and collect items (don´t forget to set it for rihgt click)