Auctionwolf - GAME THREAD

RJS

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry for the delay on this - trip over to visit somebody resulted in staying for dinner and beyond, so I've literally just got back.

I will allow late posts in this occasion, because no pre-warning was given.

DAY IS OVER, RECAP EN ROUTE

RJS

Jul 29, 2019
As the day ended, the remaining party members decided that their best detective was the person who should die. Cheese was executed as the speakers crackled into life. "Are you lot even trying anymore, or have you all gone insane?" Nevertheless, the insanity continued when, in a mad struggle sparked by tragic grief, one of the killers had turned on the other and decided to give up his job. The body of RealKC lay cooling on the ground, as Shazam symbolically fired every bullet he owned into the floor.

"Well, this is somewhat...unconventional, but I guess you have managed to resolve the issue of the Auctionhouse Murders, so the game is clear!" The doors unlocked from the outside, and swung open. "I hope you enjoyed the party! Don't tell your friends all about it!"

LivingAngryCheese was lynched! He was innocent!
RealKC was murdered! He was a killer!
END OF GAME

Winners:

VikeStep - Innocent
bigdbigd03 - Innocent
fowltief - Innocent
Someone Else 37 - Innocent
Lethosos - Innocent
016Nojr - Innocent, Star-crossed lover
erindalc - Innocent
profrags - Innocent
LivingAngryCheese - Innocent
Shazam08 - Killer, Star-crossed lover

Losers:
Robijnvogel, Killer
RealKC, Killer

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam
Good game!

The auction system's broad enough that, IMO, there's still a lot of strategy to figure out on the players' side (i.e. how wolves bid, which items they buy, how much items are worth, etc). I want to play this again to figure out the meta. :p
I want to play this again and not die day 1

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Yeah, good game. I pretty well agree with Shazam's sentiments: I'd like to play this game again because we haven't nearly worked the strategy yet. And when (if) we do, there's so many knobs to mess with (e.g. which items appear and when, prices of black market items, who gets rewarded with how much and under what circumstances, etc.), we'll never actually solve it, much like normal WW games. It'll always be fresh and new.

The only thing I would change is to be more clear on the things in my post yesterday that I wasn't sure on: if you can use an item the same day you buy it and if somebody on a shared account places the highest bid on an item on the same day they're lynched, whether the money they bid on that item is actually spent. Both of these would be answered by the Order of Operations, incidentally. Also make it more clear how much gold each player starts with, so wolves don't do what (I thought) Robijn did and out themselves.

And some random ideas (some of them stupid) for potential items or mechanics in future Auctionwolf games:
  • Wolves have separate accounts.
  • Lovers share accounts.
  • People can give money to other people as they wish.
  • Purchasable (and transferrable) counterfeit money that's actually worthless. Iron pyrite doubloons, anyone?
  • An item that's literally just a box of money. I bid twelve gold for this box of ten... uh... never mind.
  • An item that gives you monetary rewards in other circumstances than you normally would.
  • Ability to give items to other people.
  • Ability to loot items from people who died with them in their pockets.
  • Coupons that let you buy specified items for free.
  • Items (such as those coupons?) that cannot be used by their original purchaser, and must be given away.
  • Fake items that either don't work or will blow up in the face of whoever uses them.
  • Items mimicking various other Werewolf roles (Jail Key, Ninja Cloak, Proof of Innocence, Can of Gasoline, Guardsman's Sword, etc.).
  • Make the Black Market items useful to townies who manage to get their hands on them. The Bomb and Poison Vial could serve a purpose similar to the Handgun; the Data Hack could allow a townie to inspect an as-yet-unrevealed data file.

Robijnvogel

May 8, 2013
Also make it more clear how much gold each player starts with, so wolves don't do what (I thought) Robijn did and out themselves.

Give this man a cookie! This was also why I said I could not bid more than 10 coins on D2, because we actually had 15 coins at that moment.
Also, Cheese took so many false reasoning steps, that eventually, he began to get things right. He was "on to me" for all the wrong reasons.

And some random ideas (some of them stupid) for potential items or mechanics in future Auctionwolf games:
  1. Wolves have separate accounts.
  2. Lovers share accounts.
  3. People can give money to other people as they wish.
  4. Purchasable (and transferrable) counterfeit money that's actually worthless. Iron pyrite doubloons, anyone?
  5. An item that's literally just a box of money. I bid twelve gold for this box of ten... uh... never mind.
  6. An item that gives you monetary rewards in other circumstances than you normally would.
  7. Ability to give items to other people.
  8. Ability to loot items from people who died with them in their pockets.
  9. Coupons that let you buy specified items for free.
  10. Items (such as those coupons?) that cannot be used by their original purchaser, and must be given away.
  11. Fake items that either don't work or will blow up in the face of whoever uses them.
  12. Items mimicking various other Werewolf roles (Jail Key, Ninja Cloak, Proof of Innocence, Can of Gasoline, Guardsman's Sword, etc.).
  13. Make the Black Market items useful to townies who manage to get their hands on them. The Bomb and Poison Vial could serve a purpose similar to the Handgun; the Data Hack could allow a townie to inspect an as-yet-unrevealed data file.
  1. I don't think this should be a thing. Do give the wolves more starting money, or a way to easier earn new money though.
  2. Would be impossible without (1.), however I think this is an interesting idea.
  3. Nice.
  4. Would make things a little over-complicated perhaps?
  5. Instead of this, I would advise a bonus item, that can be about anything. More worthy items, like an intelligence file, would be less likely. Money would be more likely, etc.
  6. A trickle of gold? hmm, could be handy early-game.
  7. Nice.
  8. Very Nice.
  9. How is this any different from just bidding on the item? You win an auction, however the arrival of the item is delayed by a day?
  10. Why would anyone bid on these? (Except wolves or lovers, or if there's a proven townie?)
  11. Same as 4.
  12. No comment.
  13. Ok.
  14. I would like to add that it is pretty clear to everyone, who can do what special night action each night, because the items are auctioned publicly. This may be a severe issue for the wolves' cover.

RJS

Jul 29, 2019
Definitely some interesting ideas being thrown out here. If anybody wants to make some slight tweaks, add different items etc. and rerun an Auctionwolf game they're more than welcome to.

I will add a couple of thoughts here:
Wolves played a very strong game early on. They chose targets to eliminate the existence of proven townies (though a proven townie is actually really weak in a role-less game.) In addition, they sniped off people who bought key items, e.g. bigd buying the medkit. If Robijn had been alert to the danger and rebuffed it a bit better, they very well could have gone on to win quite handily. Certainly some good thinking going on, and I think there's certainly some fun strategies that could be played out here as a killer and as a townie.

Nobody ever tried throwing out a bluff bid to see if they could force other people into spending highly, which was interesting.

Also, I think star-crossed lovers, while a nice twist (and the only time it has ever happened in the 2-3 games I've had it as a mechanic), probably needs to be reworked/removed. It can tank a wolf team. There is no way to protect the wolves from a turncoat.

Shazam08

Jul 29, 2019
Also, I think star-crossed lovers, while a nice twist (and the only time it has ever happened in the 2-3 games I've had it as a mechanic), probably needs to be reworked/removed. It can tank a wolf team. There is no way to protect the wolves from a turncoat.
I will say that I like your Lover variant ("Kill your lover's killer" + "Switch to their team") way more than the normal one ("Die if your lover dies"). You could make a betrayal difficult/impossible with only small changes, like "A wolf will not switch to his star-crossed lover's team" or something.

Bigdbigd03

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, good game. I pretty well agree with Shazam's sentiments: I'd like to play this game again because we haven't nearly worked the strategy yet. And when (if) we do, there's so many knobs to mess with (e.g. which items appear and when, prices of black market items, who gets rewarded with how much and under what circumstances, etc.), we'll never actually solve it, much like normal WW games. It'll always be fresh and new.

The only thing I would change is to be more clear on the things in my post yesterday that I wasn't sure on: if you can use an item the same day you buy it and if somebody on a shared account places the highest bid on an item on the same day they're lynched, whether the money they bid on that item is actually spent. Both of these would be answered by the Order of Operations, incidentally. Also make it more clear how much gold each player starts with, so wolves don't do what (I thought) Robijn did and out themselves.

1. Lovers share accounts.
  2. People can give money to other people as they wish.
  3. Purchasable (and transferrable) counterfeit money that's actually worthless. Iron pyrite doubloons, anyone?
  4. An item that gives you monetary rewards in other circumstances than you normally would.
  5. Ability to give items to other people.
  6. Ability to loot items from people who died with them in their pockets.
  7. Coupons that let you buy specific items for free.

I quoted all the stuff I like.